British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nw42

Warrington Speedway track, can anyone identify these riders.

Just spotted this article in the local rag, they are looking for any clarification  on the location of the picture, ie home or away.  Thought I stick it on here and see if anyone is the wiser, apparently it only ran as a speedway track for 2 years, 1929 to 1930 and then ran into financial trouble, their star rider appears to have been Squib Burton, I've certainly seen mention of him on here before.

Anyway, hope some find it interesting, http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/16284445.When_Warrington_was_home_to_a_speedway_and_greyhound_track/?ref=mrb&lp=10  

7911358.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

edit, on 2nd glance I think that Number 2 could be Greg Hancock, fits the profile:drink:

Edited by nw42

Burton regularly featured as a star attraction in indvidual events, but was not a member of the Warrington team. In fact he rode for Rochdale in 1929.

Their main men were Charlie Hornby, Tommy Hatch, George Milton & Alec McLachlan. 

Oliver Langton appeared for them latterly in 1930 just before they packed up.

Edited by cyclone

Hello good people, very interesting!

Unfortunately the team is not Warrington nor the year 1930. They had 4 man teams + a reserve without a programmed ride in 1930 . The Photo shows a 7 man team, a format which they returned to in 1931. The race jacket is the real clue. if you enlarge the photo you will see it is an ace of spades not a circle, you can see the tang/stalk of the bottom of the ace clearly on riders 2 & 3, this is the emblem of Sheffield 1931-33, Red Ace of Spades on a cambridge blue background. The venue is I believe, Belle Vue. I have similar photos of the Shefield team at BV but of a different year (John Somerville collection) I believe the little face peeping out from under his crash hat, (rider no. 1) is that of Dusty Haigh ? with a bit more reaserch I may be able to name some of the other riders but unfortunately most of my research work, photos and books are in storage under a pile of other stuff!