British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
high edge

reserves

Yes but the system I think would/could be manipulated by some.  How would you decide who gets first pick if that is the route taken or would players be drafted to certain clubs?  You may also find some NL riders will not wanted to be based with Northern clubs and if you allow the clubs to determine who gets which riders,  some clubs will offer silly money to get the better NL riders and the others will be left with slim pickings (no disrespect meant to any of the NL riders).

I think it is a great idea in principle and a way to develop younger or less experienced riders but, I can't see it working or happening.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 4:34 PM, szkocjasid said:

2 brits at reserve would make sense to me, especially using the EL "fast track" format where there were 2 reserves heats!

And their other rides could be against the number two riders   just need to tweek the format a little 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 5:46 PM, screm said:

I`d like to see more encouragement to sign young British riders, for example from 16-18 they should be on a protected 2pt average, from 18-21 a 4pt protected average. 

Offft!!!

Imagine Robert Lambert in that scenario!!!

Best way to being on British riders is through quality training facilities, and lots of junior league meetings.

Now who is doing that...

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 5:46 PM, screm said:

I`d like to see more encouragement to sign young British riders, for example from 16-18 they should be on a protected 2pt average, from 18-21 a 4pt protected average. 

Isn't that what they do in Poland. Perhaps the UK should take a look at the way the Polish do things, as it is far more successful than our system.

5 hours ago, bigeddiechek said:

Offft!!!

Imagine Robert Lambert in that scenario!!!

Best way to being on British riders is through quality training facilities, and lots of junior league meetings.

Now who is doing that...

And how many Robert Lambert`s are there out there.

Many tracks now run junior teams, and all of those deserve full credit for playing their part in trying to get young British riders on the road to hopefully a glittering career.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Isn't that what they do in Poland. Perhaps the UK should take a look at the way the Polish do things, as it is far more successful than our system.

Correct, I think Under-21 riders are considered as juniors and all Polish teams must have two of those at reserve. Not everything is perfect in Poland however there is something to be said for what they do with their younger riders. 

Young reserves are always going to struggle now that the premiership and championship leagues are so evenly matched. It leaves a much bigger gap between the championship and national leagues. 

When Stoney was banging in maximums every week at Workington he would do occasional guest rides in the Elite league but at best would be riding second string and scoring 5 or 6 points. Nowadays a championship heat leader is riding heat leader in the premiership. 

There needs to be more separation between the two top leagues so that doubling up would mean championship heat leader riding reserve / second string in the premiership. The standard would then be lower in the championship which would make the step up from national league much easier.

• Thanks 1