British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
high edge

reserves

I am relay sick of Championship teams using foreign riders at reserve,for god sake how are we ever going to   ever get more British riders coming through.  There are enough riders in the National League to cover those positions.It worked in 2014  to a extent in the Elite league but should then have been tried in   the second tier. Anyone got any opinions on this    

• Like 7

They've tried it a couple of times in the middle tier , but for som e reason they keep dropping it , I agree it's the only way for young Brits to progress .

Sheffield have 2 young Brits at reserve... other teams may prefer foreign riders, whether it's right or wrong?  Personally, would prefer young British riders coming through but it's all about points limits at the end of the day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, high edge said:

I am relay sick of Championship teams using foreign riders at reserve,for god sake how are we ever going to   ever get more British riders coming through.  There are enough riders in the National League to cover those positions.It worked in 2014  to a extent in the Elite league but should then have been tried in   the second tier. Anyone got any opinions on this    

Agree,but these NL riders think they  have made it and want too much points money IMO 

25 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Agree,but these NL riders think they  have made it and want too much points money IMO 

Can you actually name any names, would that money still be more than paying air fares for an overseas rider?

4 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Can you actually name any names, would that money still be more than paying air fares for an overseas rider?

4 minutes ago, foamfence said:

No

26 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Depends what you call a "foreign" rider. Berwick have Dany Gappmaier, Jye Etheridge and Theo Pijper, all been at reserve this season, all "foreign", but all live in this county full time during the season, so not much travelling expenses. 

Years ago British riders tried to make their way into speed way via the second half reserve and rider of the night races, these have long gone now but it was interesting spotting future talent. Nowadays we don't even give them a chance at no 8 when rider replacement is used.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, topsoil said:

Depends what you call a "foreign" rider. Berwick have Dany Gappmaier, Jye Etheridge and Theo Pijper, all been at reserve this season, all "foreign", but all live in this county full time during the season, so not much travelling expenses. 

All foreign by any defintion you may wish to choose

good example to this is kyle bickley 

very good national league rider but look how hard hes finding it in the middle tier

im sure most expected it to take time for kyle to start scoring but combination of things has made it hard for kyle

1 day he will click and start scoring and then in turn start improving 

just because theres plenty of riders in the lower league it dosnt mean they can fill a reserve berth in the league above successfully 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, scaramanga said:

good example to this is kyle bickley 

very good national league rider but look how hard hes finding it in the middle tier

im sure most expected it to take time for kyle to start scoring but combination of things has made it hard for kyle

1 day he will click and start scoring and then in turn start improving 

just because theres plenty of riders in the lower league it dosnt mean they can fill a reserve berth in the league above successfully 

Looking at his scores, it may have been a season too early for him, but I'm sure he will make it.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Looking at his scores, it may have been a season too early for him, but I'm sure he will make it.  

and that's my point 

so many are calling for thease riders to fill the reserve berths when there not ready

I thought and still do think young kyle has a future in the sport 

hes not too far off the pace and if he was getting regular meetings and the right help and advice he should start scoring 

he looks different on the bike than he was last year  maybe his confidence has took a knock and he isn't as comfortable  as he was but somethings different 

• Like 1

Perhaps if the teams had a minimum average for the top 5 riders and then any 2 British riders below a certain premier or championship average and any national league rider. I'm sure this would have helped Bickley this year.

• Like 1

2 brits at reserve would make sense to me, especially using the EL "fast track" format where there were 2 reserves heats!

• Like 1

I`d like to see more encouragement to sign young British riders, for example from 16-18 they should be on a protected 2pt average, from 18-21 a 4pt protected average.