British Speedway Forum

So far this season Leon Madsen seems to be one of the very best riders in the world... Yet he was overlooked for the SoN and isn't getting wildcards into GP's with the same old faces being named as wildcards and replacements NKI, MJJ, AJ.

Why? Has he upset people in high places?

11 hours ago, iainb said:

So far this season Leon Madsen seems to be one of the very best riders in the world... Yet he was overlooked for the SoN and isn't getting wildcards into GP's with the same old faces being named as wildcards and replacements NKI, MJJ, AJ.

There is more to the Leon madsen situation than meets the eye, not sure what’s the problem but I’m told other Danes don’t want to ride with him ,not sure if has something to do with silencers. A few years ago 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iainb said:

To be fair though, Michael Jepsen Jensen has been really good so far this season, averaging almost 2.000 in Poland and 2.440 in Sweden.
Andreas Jonsson is Swedish and his selection as a wild card for Hallstavik has nothing to do with Madsen.

1 hour ago, Ghostwalker said:

To be fair though, Michael Jepsen Jensen has been really good so far this season, averaging almost 2.000 in Poland and 2.440 in Sweden.
Andreas Jonsson is Swedish and his selection as a wild card for Hallstavik has nothing to do with Madsen.

NKI?

16 hours ago, iainb said:

If I remember right, Leon withdrew from the Danish GP qualifying meeting this year which probably didn't help his chances of being selected for the Horsens wildcard.

Iversen missed a big chunk of last year's series through injury. Normally in those situations BSI have given a wildcard for the following year. He missed out on that as they opted for Pedersen and Hancock who also had injuries, so NKI was given one of the series reserve places instead.

I saw Leon ride for Denmark U21 against Sweden in what was Stekkers first meeting in charge.I don’t think it was long after that he seemed to be strutting around the pits as if he owned them and was almost alone there,with hardly anyone talking to him.This was even before the silencer problem mentioned.But that seemed to be the incident that caused a big problem and he was after that out of Cavour.The situation carried on even after Stekkers left the job,so possibly from higher up there remains a problem.But as someone else mentioned other riders it is rumored don’t get on with him.

Guess the problems remain even now Nielsen is in charge,as I think Leon said he wouldn’t ride for Denmark or Nielsen said he wouldn’t pick him

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

I saw Leon ride for Denmark U21 against Sweden in what was Stekkers first meeting in charge.I don’t think it was long after that he seemed to be strutting around the pits as if he owned them and was almost alone there,with hardly anyone talking to him.This was even before the silencer problem mentioned.But that seemed to be the incident that caused a big problem and he was after that out of Cavour.The situation carried on even after Stekkers left the job,so possibly from higher up there remains a problem.But as someone else mentioned other riders it is rumored don’t get on with him.

Guess the problems remain even now Nielsen is in charge,as I think Leon said he wouldn’t ride for Denmark or Nielsen said he wouldn’t pick him

Sounds a bit like a certain "Englishman"... and I'm not talking about Edward Kennett

It does seem like the SGP is becoming more and more of a closed shop

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

.....and was there not a problem when he and his father went to Glasgow to sign for the Tigers, and walked out on the deal claiming that Glasgow had welched on the promises regarding accommodation and workshops. In the late 00's.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tsunami said:

.....and was there not a problem when he and his father went to Glasgow to sign for the Tigers, and walked out on the deal claiming that Glasgow had welched on the promises regarding accommodation and workshops. In the late 00's.

Yip.

Had forgotten that incident!!!But just adds to the list.Seems so many people have had trouble with him,and of course he has failed to impress at international level.Own worst enemy I guess

WHEN I was assistant Race Director for a Copenhagen GP at which Madsen was the wild card, he was late for signing-on, late for riders' briefings and late for practice. Remember asking him whether he was on a different time zone. Seemed in a world of his own. Strange character. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He isn't related to Peter Madsen is he?

(guy who was recently convicted of murdering a journalist on his home-made submarine near Copenhagen)

• Haha 1

Seems superb at league level but an also ran when it comes to world cup/gps etc. shame. Just as big a shame as it is to see see Danish Speedway seemingly falling apart with regards to top riders

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

an also ran when it comes to world cup/gps etc. 

it's a while since he was given the opportunity at this level in the closed shop GP/SoN

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

it's a while since he was given the opportunity at this level in the closed shop GP/SoN

DID he not ride in the GP qualifying rounds?