British Speedway Forum

On 9/12/2018 at 6:18 AM, Simonh said:

Bumped into Leon in Vetlanda, he was guesting in mid August, with my son with autism.

He was really professional. Polite, patient and understanding. Really impressed.

He also rode really well and scored paid 14 from 5 against good quality riders.

Be great to see him in the UK.

Hi Simonh,

It's hard to know how and why we pick our favorites but Leon has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. I'm sure that your son's meeting with Leon will be a memorable experience......for you as well. If the SGP really wants the best riders in the world I say give him a wild card. He is repeatedly beating the "best in the world" now and I think he would bring a lot to the series. 

Would love to see him win the SEC!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New Yorker said:

Hi Simonh,

It's hard to know how and why we pick our favorites but Leon has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. I'm sure that your son's meeting with Leon will be a memorable experience......for you as well. If the SGP really wants the best riders in the world I say give him a wild card. He is repeatedly beating the "best in the world" now and I think he would bring a lot to the series. 

Would love to see him win the SEC!!

Definitely in the Worlds Top Ten given he performs so consistently at the highest level...

And has done so for a decent length of time..

Would bring something to the GP's no doubt..

• Like 2

Congratulations Leon on another fine victory. Proof that you have what it takes to make your mark in the GP. Is it only politics that is preventing you from being admitted?

• Like 1

Hard to look past him now. He 100% should get 1. If Chris holder gets in again over him it will be an outrage. He deserves it. Ahead of Pedersen, Lambert, Jack holder and max fricke. 

48 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

Hard to look past him now. He 100% should get 1. If Chris holder gets in again over him it will be an outrage. He deserves it. Ahead of Pedersen, Lambert, Jack holder and max fricke. 

WOULD take a complete U-turn by the FIM who insist these days that a rider who doesn't enter the qualifiers for the SGP cannot get a wild card. Chris Holder won't get one.

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WOULD take a complete U-turn by the FIM who insist these days that a rider who doesn't enter the qualifiers for the SGP cannot get a wild card. Chris Holder won't get one.

It is a fair point ,would open can of worms if they gave him a wild card.He is GP material.

7 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

That’s a shame though as the point of a world championship is to have the best in the world. They should u-turn ?

1 minute ago, Danny Connor said:

That’s a shame though as the point of a world championship is to have the best in the world. They should u-turn ?

THEN why have qualifiers and instead use a competition that is not open to all riders in the world?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I've not heard that before.  How long has that been in place?

3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FOR a while 

I think I am missing something.  Last year's wildcards were Vacilik, Holder, Hancock and Pedersen. Of them only Vacilik entered the qualifiers.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THEN why have qualifiers and instead use a competition that is not open to all riders in the world?

They give a wildcard to Chris Holder last year and he didn't do the qualifiers. He assumed he could qualify via the top 8 but didn't, surely that's unfair on the other gp riders that do the qualifiers.

RIGHTLY or wrongly, riders who have completed in a SGP season are considered for wild cards the next whether or not they have participated in qualifying rounds. Different scenario to Madsen.

• Like 2

Any rider who doesn`t even attempt to qualify by right should never be considered for a GP spot.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, OldRacer said:

I've not heard that before.  How long has that been in place?

It must be a recent introduction because in 2013 both Tai and Darcy Ward were given wildcards without doing the qualifiers and they were both not in the GPs.

Edited by eric i