British Speedway Forum

2 in GB should be on the cards B.V has to be viable when you see some of the venues,although don't know who pays and how much to hold a Gp

22 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NOW you are being silly. I fully agree that the SGP needs to find new venues but there simply isn't one in the US, even Orange County in Southern California,  that would be viable and that will only get worse when their one world class rider hangs up his leathers.

How do you know this? a world championship event hasn't been tried in the US since the 80's has it? The WTC's at long beach? If you're not even prepared to try, at a less costly venue, you're never going to break into the market. It's been proved the only countries that can sustain large stadium venues are Poland, UK and Denmark. Sweden, Germany, Australia all had large stadium events that ultimately failed before moving back to more modest stadia in the Swedish and German cases.

The risk should have been taken years ago in the States to cash in on Hancock's "star" appeal and capture the imagination of the next generation of US riders, it maybe too late now, a missed opportunity while the organisers were messing around in Finland, Italy, Germany and Latvia

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, iainb said:

How do you know this? a world championship event hasn't been tried in the US since the 80's has it? The WTC's at long beach? If you're not even prepared to try, at a less costly venue, you're never going to break into the market. It's been proved the only countries that can sustain large stadium venues are Poland, UK and Denmark. Sweden, Germany, Australia all had large stadium events that ultimately failed before moving back to more modest stadia in the Swedish and German cases.

The risk should have been taken years ago in the States to cash in on Hancock's "star" appeal and capture the imagination of the next generation of US riders, it maybe too late now, a missed opportunity while the organisers were messing around in Finland, Italy, Germany and Latvia

BECAUSE I know Harry Oxley and if there was a sniff that a SGP could work there he would have been all over it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

There are standard sizes and widths as well.Think there are only a handful of UK tracks that have been inspected and meet them.It is the same with long track,although they at least changed the rules so they could race in Poland on a large speedway track.Plus if I remember Costa Mesa has a bloody big hill at one bend for freestyle jumps,which obscured the racing from fans and referee

Lakeside at 252 meters is below the 260 meters that the FIM states as minimum track length required for speedway. Yet it was approved as an FIM track to run an U21 qualification round.

The FIM/BSI will run anywhere if the money is right. The Argentinian track for the U21 W/C proved that, if an American promoter showed BSI  the money it would run at Costa Messa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MARK246 said:

Lakeside at 252 meters is below the 260 meters that the FIM states as minimum track length required for speedway. Yet it was approved as an FIM track to run an U21 qualification round.

The FIM/BSI will run anywhere if the money is right. The Argentinian track for the U21 W/C proved that, if an American promoter showed BSI  the money it would run at Costa Messa

NO it wouldn't.  

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NO it wouldn't.  

You don't know that as nobody has tried.

You do tend to show a bit of a defeatist attitude, as shown with your posts on the SoN thread. It's a good job everybody doesn't take the same attitude of not even trying to do things or we'd all still be living in the dark ages.

Edited by iainb

2 hours ago, MARK246 said:

I do agree to a large extent.Flash some big wedge and you suddenly open doors.

It isn’t always a level playing field with the FIM.We know that from Berlin pulling out of the ice speedway world championship a few years back ,complaining that they were having to meet standards other tracks didn’t

I sorta thought the Argentina project was more something of a personal ambition of Castagnas rather than money though

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, iainb said:

Flying the whole troupe 5000 miles with equipment will always be a hugely costly venture.  There is no low cost alternative.

Existing speedway tracks in California are almost unrecognizable for European fans.

16 hours ago, MARK246 said:

Lakeside at 252 meters is below the 260 meters that the FIM states as minimum track length required for speedway. Yet it was approved
as an FIM track to run an U21 qualification round.

While I agree on  the principle, a 252 track is still quite different then a 162m track which is about the same size as an 85cc tracks.

Deserved call up in my opinion. Maybe Drabik for zagar although I’m a fan of zagar. But the right names pretty much have been called up as wild cards.

id have Pedersen, Drabik, lambert, j holder and Smektala as the backup riders. 

Im glad madsen is in though. Grand Prix is about best riders in the world

• Like 2

On 6/23/2018 at 10:42 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

CERTAINLY has a reputation that he cannot shift amongst his fellow riders.

That's true... Craig Cook has implied he's a cheat recently on Twitter, he obviously doesn't believe people deserve a 2nd chance... But was still hoping for a wildcard himself

Edited by iainb

On 9/18/2018 at 6:29 PM, iris123 said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vojens don't want to(struggling for funding since the council started pumping money into the local football+ice hockey)

You were saying?

• Haha 1

We can all get it wrong now and again.Funny though when Nicki posted he was disappointed to be out of the GPs,I said Danish Speedway was in the doldrums and was going to say in a few years the Danish GP would be held at Holsted or Slangerup 

I am not sad at this news as Vojens is very easy to get to and as long as the roadworks are finished by next summer,quite quick as well.Easier to get to than Teterow for me

Edited by iris123

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

We can all get it wrong now and again.Funny though when Nicki posted he was disappointed to be out of the GPs,I said Danish Speedway was in the doldrums and was going to say in a few years the Danish GP would be held at Holsted or Slangerup 

I am not sad at this news as Vojens is very easy to get to and as long as the roadworks are finished by next summer,quite quick as well.Easier to get to than Teterow for me

I don't know what's gone wrong in Denmark, it was only a few years ago they were filling Parken

• Like 1

I also got it wrong with Madsen getting a wild card.Never thought that would happen.nd while I am on a roll I stated at the start of the season I didn’t think Lindgren would finish in one of the top GP places.He did

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 1