British Speedway Forum

Watching Madsen to day makes you think he would be a top 8 candidate if he were riding in it.Possibly could nick a win in one.

I think Madsen deserves to be in it, the series needs to allow fresh blood in and on current form he is certainly a top 16 rider.He also has a good chance of doing well because he is such a good gater will he get in? i have my doubts.I think with Puk and Pedersen( wildcard) he will miss out 3 Danes???

17 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

TRACK about half the size for an FIM meeting

After some of the crap that has been served up track wise over the years and also recently, shouldn't be an issue. They make the rules up as they go along as regards qualification and reserves, so they could do the same with the track

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

After dinner of the crap that has been served up track wise over the years and also recently, shouldn't be an issue. They make the rules up as they go along as regards qualification and reserves, so they could do the same with the track

HAVE you ever been to Costa Mesa? It's a fun track but in no way suitable for a Grand Prix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HAVE you ever been to Costa Mesa? It's a fun track but in no way suitable for a Grand Prix.

No I've not... Just trying to come up with ideas of why it can happen rather than shutting people down all the time on why it can't. Was Krsko suitable for a GP? Terenzano? Etc. Etc.

God forbid that Speedway should be fun. These are the best riders in the world, it's a world championship, they should be able to ride all tracks.

Where was the monster energy thing run the other year?

Edited by iainb

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

No I've not... Just trying to come up with ideas of why it can happen rather than shutting people down all the time on why it can't. Was Krsko suitable for a GP? Terenzano? Etc. Etc.

God forbid that Speedway should be fun. These are the best riders in the world, it's a world championship, they should be able to ride all tracks.

There are standard sizes and widths as well.Think there are only a handful of UK tracks that have been inspected and meet them.It is the same with long track,although they at least changed the rules so they could race in Poland on a large speedway track.Plus if I remember Costa Mesa has a bloody big hill at one bend for freestyle jumps,which obscured the racing from fans and referee

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

There are standard sizes and widths as well.Think there are only a handful of UK tracks that have been inspected and meet them.It is the same with long track,although they at least changed the rules so they could race in Poland on a large speedway track.Plus if I remember Costa Mesa has a bloody big hill at one bend for freestyle jumps,which obscured the racing from fans and referee

I think Leicester is an FIM standard track... Who'd want to watch a GP there :rofl:

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I'M not disagreeing with you but Costa Mesa, which I once described as 'speedway skittles,' would be a farce. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

.Plus if I remember Costa Mesa has a bloody big hill at one bend for freestyle jumps,which obscured the racing from fans and referee

NOT when I've been there. It's just a 180-yard oval, no hills.

Anyway... Doesn't have to be Costa Mesa speedway track, they can lay a track anywhere, maybe an atheletcs track that has grandstand a or something in the Costa Mesa area, it's just that speedway at Costa Mesa has been proven to work.

My point is more that I think it would be better to hold a GP at proven venues/areas in non speedway countries where you know you'll draw a core crowd in and then heavily promote it to bring in floaters. The mistake in Australia particularly was hiring out huge stadiums

Edited by iainb

Have a look on Google earth there's an American football/atheletcs stadium a couple of hundred yards up the road

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

Have a look on Google earth there's an American football/atheletcs stadium a couple of hundred yards up the road

THE thing to remember is that those who go to Costa Mesa are not speedway fans as we know it. It is a night out, to whoop and shout, have a few beers, chat up the girls, smoke pot and most of the time not really know what is taking place on the track. It is a unique experience, great fun, entertaining in its own way. But would those same people attend a SGP nearby by? Probably not. They have no knowledge of speedway outside their own bubble, couldn't name a non-American rider and, frankly, have no real interest in what goes on outside of their own back yard.

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE thing to remember is that those who go to Costa Mesa are not speedway fans as we know it. It is a night out, to whoop and shout, have a few beers, chat up the girls, smoke pot and most of the time not really know what is taking place on the track. It is a unique experience, great fun, entertaining in its own way. But would those same people attend a SGP nearby by? Probably not. They have no knowledge of speedway outside their own bubble, couldn't name a non-American rider and, frankly, have no real interest in what goes on outside of their own back yard.

You're right, let's forget all about it and have them all in Poland

Just now, iainb said:

You're right, let's forget all about it and have them all in Poland

NOW you are being silly. I fully agree that the SGP needs to find new venues but there simply isn't one in the US, even Orange County in Southern California,  that would be viable and that will only get worse when their one world class rider hangs up his leathers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some You Tube video from Costa Messa - not the best racing I seen from there, but it shows the track off well.  If a GP went there Greg would win it hands down - its a gaters track. Laguta probably 2nd, and put Leon Madsen in the GPs and he would be third.   Why do you think they didn't use Costa Messa for the world championship in early eighties? They went to a stadium where they could put in a real speedway track.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Costa+Mesa+Speedway+Motorcycle+Racing&&view=detail&mid=4191A6E311D1F64C25984191A6E311D1F64C2598&&FORM=VRDGAR