British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

21•06•18 - Swindon v King’s Lynn - Premiership

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

“All we want is a full team. We have proved at full-strength or missing one rider how dominate we can be. Fixed race-nights are making it really hard because it’s not what we thought it was going to be.”

Probably reading to much into that, but is that an admission that they cannot guarantee the fans a full team going forward like they promised last week? Certainly sounds that way to me.

Knowing full well that Denmark takes priority on Wednesday's what did they expect when signing Dane's?

Surely people running King's Lynn can't be so thick?!?

Be interesting how Morley goes, Might be worth a permanent spot if he performs well? 

I can't believe how stupid stars management are either. We've a cracking team this year (mostly) but to run Wednesday nights and a team full of Danes it was always going to be difficult. :-(

6 minutes ago, kelvinht said:

Be interesting how Morley goes, Might be worth a permanent spot if he performs well? 

I can't believe how stupid stars management are either. We've a cracking team this year (mostly) but to run Wednesday nights and a team full of Danes it was always going to be difficult. :-(

Personally I think Morley would be better than Andersen regardless of how he goes Thursday. Morley certainly could manage a 3 - 3.5 average which could be the difference for a title challenge. Also guaranteed availability every week.

Edited by Daniel Smith

If you read  the comments by Terry Russell in Speedway Star it seems BSPA totally negated the benefits that fixed race nights were supposed to bring by altering the agreed nighs from Thursday to Wednesday and introducing the 8 point rule. 

1 hour ago, The Stag said:

A full team is all that fans want as well. Fixed race nights would have worked if they were on a Thursday and Monday and not Wednesday's. The BSPA have made a complete farce of FRNs. What's the betting they will be scrapped next year with no progress made. Race on Thursdays meaning no  clashes with the Danish League and don't allow Championships teams to race that day meaning no doubling up issues. It's quite simple but promoters are blinkered. Seriously how hard can it be....?

Well the one thing I don’t get Lewis Rose quit a few weeks into the season and what do we do considering the on going problems with using Danish rider and racing on Wednesday night the same night as the Danish what do we do ?. - we sign Palm Toft not only do Denmark have priority but also Pboro you honestly couldn’t make it up - whoever made the decision to sign Palm Toft should be shown the exit door - I agree he’s done well for the club but he isn’t much use when he’s racing elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haza said:

Well the one thing I don’t get Lewis Rose quit a few weeks into the season and what do we do considering the on going problems with using Danish rider and racing on Wednesday night the same night as the Danish what do we do ?. - we sign Palm Toft not only do Denmark have priority but also Pboro you honestly couldn’t make it up - whoever made the decision to sign Palm Toft should be shown the exit door - I agree he’s done well for the club but he isn’t much use when he’s racing elsewhere. 

Haza, have you been to watch Lynn yet this year? Yes of course we want and need a full team, pretty sure the clashes are almost at an end, let's hope the injuries/fitness probs are too and we can push on up the table.... 

Really not sure what the Premiership promoters can do to stop the clashes, those 3 Championship teams don't want to give up their long term Thursday night race nights. If they went to Thursdays, the Premiership teams need priority basically, they won't be happy obviously. Do the Championship teams not have off race nights? It's going to be a hard decision for the riders too, what a predicament! British based squads for the Championship perhaps? 

The championship is too strong and the fact they ever get priority over the senior league is also a joke. In this situation Thursday. The 2nd division teams having a power over the top flight teams is a laughable joke. I fancied we would run Swindon close. Now I think we will struggle to hit 40. The cl angers me.if you want good riders then step up or shut up. 

I think the scores that MPT has knocked in so far this season and what he contributed last season show exactly why they signed him.....yes he is going to miss a few meetings but his scores when he can ride and those of guests when he can't were obviously deemed the better option than alternatives on similar averages. Can't imagine too many riders who average under six being able to card paid seventeen too often.

As for Allitt's comments my interpretation is that Lynn had their team sorted long before the AGM and then found that the goalposts moved at the AGM. Again I'd suggest that having your choice of riders 75% of the time was deemed to be better than having a second choice and inferior one to to seven 100% of the time. Certainly far from ideal but not thick and probably the considered choice.

55 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think the scores that MPT has knocked in so far this season and what he contributed last season show exactly why they signed him.....yes he is going to miss a few meetings but his scores when he can ride and those of guests when he can't were obviously deemed the better option than alternatives on similar averages. Can't imagine too many riders who average under six being able to card paid seventeen too often.

As for Allitt's comments my interpretation is that Lynn had their team sorted long before the AGM and then found that the goalposts moved at the AGM. Again I'd suggest that having your choice of riders 75% of the time was deemed to be better than having a second choice and inferior one to to seven 100% of the time. Certainly far from ideal but not thick and probably the considered choice.

If that's the case why not say so instead of talking in riddles?

If what you say is what's happened everyone would understand

10 hours ago, Trees said:

Haza, have you been to watch Lynn yet this year? Yes of course we want and need a full team, pretty sure the clashes are almost at an end, let's hope the injuries/fitness probs are too and we can push on up the table.... 

Really not sure what the Premiership promoters can do to stop the clashes, those 3 Championship teams don't want to give up their long term Thursday night race nights. If they went to Thursdays, the Premiership teams need priority basically, they won't be happy obviously. Do the Championship teams not have off race nights? It's going to be a hard decision for the riders too, what a predicament! British based squads for the Championship perhaps? 

If I attend meetings or not what has that got to do with anything? As it happens I’ve not been to Lynn since July 1 st 2017 but I fail to see why that stops me having an opinion or interest in the club I’ve supported since I was very young . 

All id have thought we’d all want to see is our own 1-7 in every meeting baring injuries of course this doesn’t seem to happen that often for various reasons which is a shame . The fixed race night thing has been a farce to be fair great idea but should have been Monday/ Thursday rather than Monday /Wednesday who’s fault that is I’m not sure but the point I’m making signing Palm Toft after the season was under way was madness when we knew he had Danish League and also Pboro clashes who get priority as is the case tonight- I’ve nothing against Palm Toft in any way shape or form he’s done well , but he’s not much good to us if he’s missing meetings . I’m sure all we want is our 1-7 each meeting not 5 of our own and two guests - injuries can’t be helped but more thought should have gone into clashes with other leagues . 

• Like 1

It's what happens when you change the Thursday fixed race night to a Wednesday. It's about time the BSPA showed some actual leadership and stop pandering to two or three clubs every year.

• Like 4

What I can't understand is even if the goalposts were moved after the Danish riders were all signed, why not try running on Mondays with a full team instead of those Weds, with several riders missing? Why could not Buster or Brundle told us that that is what had happened and we would be more sympathetic / understanding?  No-one has talked to the fans any more than in previous years. Suddenly a Monday was tried ( even running against an England football match ) and a crowd of nearly 1,000 was achieved. Could have drawn a bigger crowd on earlier Mondays. with a full team, if they had tried. Poor tactical thinking is what it comes across as.  A much more symbiotic relationship with the KL supporters could have been achieved, which costs nothing.

14 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Confirmed on Swindon website, R/R for Proctor, Ben Morley and Kevin Doolan guest at reserve for the visitors. 

Quite a number of Swindon fans may choose to hold on to their £17 than watch this patched up encounter. Unless they adore steamroller wins. If Morley, Doolan and R/R score more than 8 between them I will be very surprised. Reaching 40 will be quite a "team" effort.