British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Championship Shield Semi-Final Qualification is a Sham

Peterborough's qualification to the Championship Shield Semi-Finals on the basis of them being the "best second place" team is completely unfair. Their claim is based solely on their being part of a smaller group, which gives them a mathematical advantage: 9 points from 4 matches gives them an average points-per-match of 2.25. Sheffield, on the other hand, have 13 points from 6 matches, giving them a points per match average of 2.167, but this lower rating is simply because they have been part of a larger group and have ridden more matches. The second-placed team in the Southern Group - regardless of who it was - was always going to have a mathematical advantage over the second-placed teams in the Northern or Borders Groups.

Peterborough have a 100% home record, plus a 3-point away victory, giving them a points difference of +10. Sheffield also have a 100% home record, plus a 4-point away win and a points difference of +39. This must surely mean that Sheffield have the better record in the competition. 

To give the semi-final to Peterborough, based solely on their intrinsic mathematical advantage, is a travesty. Sheffield have the better record and should qualify. The ruling is shambolic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Peterborough's qualification to the Championship Shield Semi-Finals on the basis of them being the "best second place" team is completely unfair. Their claim is based solely on their being part of a smaller group, which gives them a mathematical advantage: 9 points from 4 matches gives them an average points-per-match of 2.25. Sheffield, on the other hand, have 13 points from 6 matches, giving them a points per match average of 2.167, but this lower rating is simply because they have been part of a larger group and have ridden more matches. The second-placed team in the Southern Group - regardless of who it was - was always going to have a mathematical advantage over the second-placed teams in the Northern or Borders Groups.

Peterborough have a 100% home record, plus a 3-point away victory, giving them a points difference of +10. Sheffield also have a 100% home record, plus a 4-point away win and a points difference of +39. This must surely mean that Sheffield have the better record in the competition. 

To give the semi-final to Peterborough, based solely on their intrinsic mathematical advantage, is a travesty. Sheffield have the better record and should qualify. The ruling is shambolic.

That's Speedway for you,nothing simple.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

How come you only mention this now that your team has been knocked out ,no one heard you shouting from the rooftops before all the results unfolded about how wrong and unjust it  is  on Sheffield , the rules were set before the competition started and have to be adhered to but for what it is worth it would have bee better with 2 groups with winners and runners up to the semi's.

Come on this is Speedway! World Championships have been decided on rock, paper, scissors before now... Get over it

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

How come you only mention this now that your team has been knocked out ,no one heard you shouting from the rooftops before all the results unfolded about how wrong and unjust it  is  on Sheffield , the rules were set before the competition started and have to be adhered to but for what it is worth it would have bee better with 2 groups with winners and runners up to the semi's.

Where is the rule which says that the second-placed team with an inferior record of performance will qualify? I haven't noticed any such rule, but if I had I would have mentioned it earlier.

1 minute ago, 4thbender said:

Where is the rule which says that the second-placed team with an inferior record of performance will qualify? I haven't noticed any such rule, but if I had I would have mentioned it earlier.

I take it maths is not your strong point  :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

To be fair, 4thbender can only grumble about the outcome when all the results are in and the mathematics takes over, it's been decided on pts difference per no of matches so with Peterborough not finishing til yesterday you couldn't have known how that would affect the qualification!!

Agreed about your last paragraph, two groups would have been better and given a few more meetings!!

1 minute ago, blupanther said:

I take it maths is not your strong point  :rolleyes:

When I went to school +4 would always trump +3, and +39 would always trump +10. Unless my maths teacher was a complete dumbo I don't believe my maths to be that bad actually!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

When I went to school +4 would always trump +3, and +39 would always trump +10. Unless my maths teacher was a complete dumbo I don't believe my maths to be that bad actually!

Yes and 2.25 trumps 2.167 and that’s the one that matters so stop acting like such a child.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Yes and 2.25 trumps 2.167 and that’s the one that matters so stop acting like such a child.

Thank you I didn't want to have to say it myself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Who says it's the one that matters? Have you just made that rule up?

7 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

You fail to take any account for the 2 defeats that Sheffield had whilst Peterborough only had 1

Pboro won half their away meetings and Sheff a third - when I went to school a half was larger than a third :P

Even 1 losing point in either of those wouldve given the Tigers a better match point average and they didnt manage it

You talk of mathmatical advantage of a smaller group when the larger group had the advantage of an extra chance to gain an all important losing point

That team didnt even have to win or draw to gain an advantage only lose by less!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

You fail to take any account for the 2 defeats that Sheffield had whilst Peterborough only had 1

Pboro won half their away meetings and Sheff a third - when I went to school a half was larger than a third :P

Even 1 losing point in either of those wouldve given the Tigers a better match point average and they didnt manage it

You talk of mathmatical advantage of a smaller group when the larger group had the advantage of an extra chance to gain an all important losing point

That team didnt even have to win or draw to gain an advantage only lose by less!

Whichever way you cut it, Sheffield have the better results performance overall:

• Sheffield have 13 points compared to Peterborough's 9
  • Sheffield have +4 "away points won minus home points lost" compared to Peterborough's +3
  • Sheffield have +39 points difference compared to Peterborough's +10

How could anyone with any sense suggest that Peterborough's is the better performance?

13 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Whichever way you cut it, Sheffield have the better results performance overall:

• Sheffield have 13 points compared to Peterborough's 9
  • Sheffield have +4 "away points won minus home points lost" compared to Peterborough's +3
  • Sheffield have +39 points difference compared to Peterborough's +10

How could anyone with any sense suggest that Peterborough's is the better performance?

You yet again ignore the defeats

Pboro 3 pts per home meeting

Sheffeiled 3 pts per home meeting

Identical records

Pboro 3 pts from 2 away ave 1.5

Sheff 4 pts from 3 away ave 1.33°

Now which is the better away record??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

You yet again ignore the defeats

Pboro 3 pts per home meeting

Sheffeiled 3 pts per home meeting

Identical records

Pboro 3 pts from 2 away ave 1.5

Sheff 4 pts from 3 away ave 1.33°

Now which is the better away record??

This is precisely the point that proves my argument: the team taking part in fewer matches is always going to have an unfair mathematical advantage. Teams should be judged on the results of matches that HAVE taken place and NOT the averages skewed by the number of matches that HAVEN'T taken place!

• Confused 1