British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Championship Shield Semi-Final Qualification is a Sham

29 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Whichever way you cut it, Sheffield have the better results performance overall:

• Sheffield have 13 points compared to Peterborough's 9
  • Sheffield have +4 "away points won minus home points lost" compared to Peterborough's +3
  • Sheffield have +39 points difference compared to Peterborough's +10

How could anyone with any sense suggest that Peterborough's is the better performance?

You could also say teams from the southern group were denied the chance to have equal amount of matches to be able to compete with the other 2 groups and to say all this is news to you about the percentages used to calculate best second place is utter nonsense , it been banded about on here 5/6 weeks but you never heard about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

it been banded about on here 5/6 weeks but you never heard about it.

Where?

8 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

This is precisely the point that proves my argument: the team taking part in fewer matches is always going to have an unfair mathematical advantage. Teams should be judged on the results of matches that HAVE taken place and NOT the averages skewed by the number of matches that HAVEN'T taken place!

I would suggest you move on you are going to get precisely nowhere , best thing for you to do is have a word with your promoter who is part of the management committee and explain you grievance as they are the ones who suggest and make the rules.

13 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

This is precisely the point that proves my argument: the team taking part in fewer matches is always going to have an unfair mathematical advantage. Teams should be judged on the results of matches that HAVE taken place and NOT the averages skewed by the number of matches that HAVEN'T taken place!

But the away matches HAVE taken place ..... me thinks you are tying yourself in knots!!

• Like 2

Just now, New era Panthers said:

I would suggest you move on you are going to get precisely nowhere , best thing for you to do is have a word with your promoter who is part of the management committee and explain you grievance as they are the ones who suggest and make the rules.

Already have.

1 minute ago, Dodger Blue said:

But the away matches HAVE taken place ..... me thinks you are tying yourself in knots!!

Consider this: Regardless of the teams involved or the competition, if two unequal groups are vying for the spoils, the one with the least involvement is always going to have an unfair advantage. This is due to the fact that whatever the results - good or bad - to work out performance averages the scores of the team with fewer results will be divisible by 4, whereas the scores of the team with the greater number of results will be divisible by 6. Hence the skewed 2.25 v 2.167.

Take it from me - a maths genious!

The ONLY fair way of making comparisons is to look at actual points difference which cannot be skewed regardless of how many matches each team has taken part in. In this case, one team has a points difference of +39 and the other +10.

Which team deserves to qualify?

What did your promoter say then. But if Sheffield had gained one more point away then they would have qualified, and they had one more chance than Peterborough.

• Like 3

Boring. Move on.utt

1 hour ago, 4thbender said:

Agree - the average match points take into account the 2 away defeats for Sheffield that HAVE taken place

I’m sure with the northern bias in clubs the Bspa always wanted two southern and two northern sides in the semis .If  in Sheffields group take out either Scunthorpe or Newcastle’s results in the  group to make it a three team  then you would have 

Example A

2 Sheffield home wins = 6 pts 

1 Sheffield away win = 4pts

Total  10 pts  so it would be the same tally as Peterborough 2.25 PST per meeting so it would go on PST difference and I’m sure Sheffield’s would be higher so I can see why ther aggrieved and in real terms the Shield should have been two groups one of 5 teams and the other with 6 teams  with the top two teams qualifying. This would have given teams more fixtures each as this season unless your successful clubs fixture lists are well down on past seasons 

only my opinion folks

• Like 1

All this could have been avoided by having one group of 5 teams, one group of 6 teams with top 2 in each group going into semi finals ____simples.

15 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

I’m sure with the northern bias in clubs the Bspa always wanted two southern and two northern sides in the semis .If  in Sheffields group take out either Scunthorpe or Newcastle’s results in the  group to make it a three team  then you would have 

Example A

2 Sheffield home wins = 6 pts 

1 Sheffield away win = 4pts

Total  10 pts  so it would be the same tally as Peterborough 2.25 PST per meeting so it would go on PST difference and I’m sure Sheffield’s would be higher so I can see why ther aggrieved and in real terms the Shield should have been two groups one of 5 teams and the other with 6 teams  with the top two teams qualifying. This would have given teams more fixtures each as this season unless your successful clubs fixture lists are well down on past seasons 

only my opinion folks

And if you put Scunthorpe in the Peterborough group and look at the result the Panthers got at EWR they couldve had the chance to score more points

All pure conjecture in both scenarios which leaves us back with the actual situation and using the actual rules which result in Boro qualifying