British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Championship Shield Semi-Final Qualification is a Sham

3 minutes ago, Thornaby48 said:

All this could have been avoided by having one group of 5 teams, one group of 6 teams with top 2 in each group going into semi finals ____simples.

What if the team in 3rd in 1 group had a better record that the team in 2nd in the other?? ;)

best thread in the championship section i’ve seen in a while I have to say! Sheff fan realising his team isn’t anywhere near as good as he thought and unhappy that they was knocked out of a competition even though everything was followed by the rules...

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Thornaby48 said:

With all due respect that is irrelevant and is only complicating a simple solution

A bit like not accepting a simple principle of average points per match??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyb said:

What did your promoter say then. But if Sheffield had gained one more point away then they would have qualified, and they had one more chance than Peterborough.

Our promoter hasn't said anything... yet. I would also point out that as well as Sheffield having had one more chance for an away point, Peterborough have had one fewer chance of dropping a home point.

4 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Our promoter hasn't said anything... yet. I would also point out that as well as Sheffield having had one more chance for an away point, Peterborough have had one fewer chance of dropping a home point.

Had there been another side in the group and that side managed to make Peterborough drop those home points it makes it very likely THAT team wouldve been second in the group AND therefore in with a chance of being better placed runners up than Sheffield too :P

• Like 1

I think this thread is a wind up.

Look at it this way. Rider A scores 3,2,1,3,3 and averages 9.60 from 1 match.

Rider B scores 3, 2,1,3,2 and 3,1,3,1,2 and averages 8.40 from 2 matches.

Has rider B done better because he has won more races?

11 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Had there been another side in the group and that side managed to make Peterborough drop those home points it makes it very likely THAT team wouldve been second in the group AND therefore in with a chance of being better placed runners up than Sheffield too :P

And had they done so I would have applauded their achievements and wished them well in the semis.... but of course they didn't. Which leaves the present conundrum of a team having been undeservedly awarded a place in the semis whilst the team with a better overall performance is excluded on a mathematical technicality. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

And had they done so I would have applauded their achievements and wished them well in the semis.... but of course they didn't. Which leaves the present conundrum of a team having been undeservedly awarded a place in the semis whilst the team with a better overall performance is excluded on a mathematical technicality. 

Oh dear I believe you are digging yourself a bigger hole to JCB proportions. Time to let it go and next year you may do better .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

Oh dear I believe you are digging yourself a bigger hole to JCB proportions. Time to let it go and next year you may do better .

Yeah. Everyone suggests I ought to let it go but no-one seems able to actually give a logical response to my assertion that Sheffield have the better results and should be in the semis. Anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics can see that basing decisions on average league-points when the teams have differing numbers of fixtures is always going to give an unfair advantage to the team with fewer fixtures.

Personally I would never be happy with my team qualifying for a semi-final if their performance didn't merit them being there. There's no joy in winning on a technicality. Just ask the guy who climbed two-thirds of the way up Everest but claimed that since he'd done it in half the time, his achievement was better than Edmund Hillary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Yeah. Everyone suggests I ought to let it go but no-one seems able to actually give a logical response to my assertion that Sheffield have the better results and should be in the semis. Anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics can see that basing decisions on average league-points when the teams have differing numbers of fixtures is always going to give an unfair advantage to the team with fewer fixtures.

Personally I would never be happy with my team qualifying for a semi-final if their performance didn't merit them being there. There's no joy in winning on a technicality. Just ask the guy who climbed two-thirds of the way up Everest but claimed that since he'd done it in half the time, his achievement was better than Edmund Hillary.

well said.utt

simple way is to run another comp with all teams i n one table , top 2 play off for glory , 3rd and forth play off for those positions  . 

run it at the start of the season over 2 months when all teams are struggling to get meetings on  . almost sorted . .

just waiting for the negs now . B.T.W.  Glasgow arnt crying yet .. 

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

A bit like not accepting a simple principle of average points per match??

That's probably the fairest way as removing the bottom team scores from the points and having fewer teams in your group will favour that team.

Peterborough 46.25 - Others 43.75

Sheffield. 48.167 - Others 41.667

Glasgow  45.333 - Others 44.333

Sheffield have a points difference per match off 6.5 points so they should go through.:cheers: