British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Rye House v Belle Vue - 20.06.18

6 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

I suspect that one of the concrete rules that you sign up for as a Promoter ( with the BSPA ) is Say Nothing, Tell No-One, play the We Have Nothing to Add card at all times. Far, Far stricter than the Magic Circle! Fans! Who needs them!

After ten years as a supporter I foolishly volunteered to help out on the supporters club. From then on I was subjected to endless venom from a member of the promotion to the point where it all just fell apart for me. I could barely face attending meetings and spent several years away from the track subsequently. You wouldn't treat a dog like it, and certainly not a dedicated customer of ten years' standing. 

On one occasion we were told very arrogantly that the team had signed a rider who was going to be the next great thing. Being then a keen student of the sport as a whole and avid statistician I said "Isn't he the one just dropped by Exeter?"

It was a pretty appalling thing to say, I must admit. It was met with "You supporters think they know EVERYTHING!" and a slamming of the office door. The rider lasted about a month, 

The person concerned almost destroyed speedway for me. Thankfully it was just before I was 'discovered' as a commentator and that saved my interest in the sport. It was only Ron Russell who could get me back to Rye House. When the person I referred to earlier showed up again in 2000, that is why I immediately walked away from Rye House. I know some were mystified at the time but I could not let my personal life be severely affected by speedway again.

What relevance has this to current events? I see promoters who treat supporters like dirt being hailed as heroes and the genuine ones often treated as idiots by fans.

BOTH PROMOTERS AND FANS HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER. THE SPORT IS TOO SMALL NOT TO.

Just the right information at the right time can keep the supporters' faith. Communication is all for silence can easily be misconstrued as contempt. Anyway, I'd better walk away from the Rye House discussion now in case I cop for a ban before I even get the chance to see my second meeting there in 25 years....

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

After ten years as a supporter I foolishly volunteered to help out on the supporters club. From then on I was subjected to endless venom from a member of the promotion to the point where it all just fell apart for me. I could barely face attending meetings and spent several years away from the track subsequently. You wouldn't treat a dog like it, and certainly not a dedicated customer of ten years' standing. 

On one occasion we were told very arrogantly that the team had signed a rider who was going to be the next great thing. Being then a keen student of the sport as a whole and avid statistician I said "Isn't he the one just dropped by Exeter?"

It was a pretty appalling thing to say, I must admit. It was met with "You supporters think they know EVERYTHING!" and a slamming of the office door. The rider lasted about a month, 

The person concerned almost destroyed speedway for me. Thankfully it was just before I was 'discovered' as a commentator and that saved my interest in the sport. It was only Ron Russell who could get me back to Rye House. When the person I referred to earlier showed up again in 2000, that is why I immediately walked away from Rye House. I know some were mystified at the time but I could not let my personal life be severely affected by speedway again.

What relevance has this to current events? I see promoters who treat supporters like dirt being hailed as heroes and the genuine ones often treated as idiots by fans.

Just the right information at the right time can keep the supporters' faith. Communication is all for silence can easily be misconstrued as contempt. Anyway, I'd better walk away from the Rye House discussion now in case I cop for a ban before I even get the chance to see my second meeting there in 25 years....

One of speedway's worst failings is the way some of its management (for want of a better word) treat paying fans.  Aggressive, arrogant and even abusive on occasion and at the same time as they are complaining about falling gates and making ends meet :angry:

As an example,  and solely because of responses I got to exactly the same viewpoint, I refuse to go to one track (and I am anything but alone in that) and constantly bang the drum for another.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marko said:

Dan Bewley showing once again he can't do it on the small tracks? or I am being too harsh on the lad?

Was really struggling out the gate at wolves and rye house. Left himself to much to do. Was on the pace but the tracks this week haven't give him anything to work with while at the back. 

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Rob, your posts on here have made very interesting reading. You are clearly still very passionate about British speedway - I hope that continues to be the case in the future!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, White City Rebel said:

Rob, your posts on here have made very interesting reading. You are clearly still very passionate about British speedway - I hope that continues to be the case in the future!

Well said White City Rebel

• Like 1

It would not make much difference if I was banned by King's Lynn Speedway because I no longer care much if I go or not. I went last Monday to embrace my current Hero Robert Lambert and get a photo with him and the British Champion's trophy. Is that the action of a speedway supporter who doesn't care? Three years ago I cared desperately that Robert would stay on with the Stars, having watched him start in the National League. But the decisions taken by the promotion over the past few years have sadly dulled my enthusiasm for the club. Their apparent lack of interest in and involvement with the fans has seen many others walk away as well. I still have my Supporters Club membership card from 1968 and that prompted me to re-join 50 years on, perhaps as a kind of farewell. Rock On Ruthless, wherever you may ride in the future, I'll be cheering as usual.

13 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Was really struggling out the gate at wolves and rye house. Left himself to much to do. Was on the pace but the tracks this week haven't give him anything to work with while at the back. 

BEING able to handle the big tracks will be important going forward ... none like Rye House or Lakeside on the World Championship circuits or indeed in Poland or Sweden.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BEING able to handle the big tracks will be important going forward ... none like Rye House or Lakeside on the World Championship circuits or indeed in Poland or Sweden.

I thought Cardiff was always on the smaller side?

14 hours ago, White City Rebel said:

Many thanks. It's been a while since I've written like this. Partly it's down to having been rather il lately and that tends to make you reassess priorities and partly that I've been honoured to be asked to write the eulogy for Kelvin's funeral. It's a great honour. Sadly I'll be recuperating in Cornwall so a suitable stand-in will be reading my words.

I still love this sport despite everything it threw at me over the years. It does leave me a little lacking in patience with certain types posters though. Does it show? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

38 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

NOT much like Lakeside

9 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Many thanks. It's been a while since I've written like this. Partly it's down to having been rather il lately and that tends to make you reassess priorities and partly that I've been honoured to be asked to write the eulogy for Kelvin's funeral. It's a great honour. Sadly I'll be recuperating in Cornwall so a suitable stand-in will be reading my words.

I still love this sport despite everything it threw at me over the years. It does leave me a little lacking in patience with certain types posters though. Does it show? :rolleyes:

You still haven’t said where I’ve been insensitive in a previous post. Which most definitely was not.

sorry to hear you have been unwell however your reply was out of order and character.

• Confused 1