British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Brummies v Belle Vue Wed 20th June NL

Guest GiveusaB
2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

As for the Coventry match, Butcher fell in his 1st ride took his 2nd & 3rd & was replaced in his 4th.

If you know different to the updates & there is nothing on your own website report to say there was an injury.

next???

You've missed one? Flint also took an extra reserve outing against Mildenhall in the KOC ? (you've slipped up there) 

Edited by GiveusaB

Guest GiveusaB
31 minutes ago, ouch said:

My original comment about Flint wasn’t about where he rides but the fact he is in the Birmingham lineup. I’ll say the same once he moves up. Far better rider than Dicken as was shown last night and no doubt tomorrow. 

Quite right !

There's no comparison to any other 3 pointer (apart from Kemp) 

Flint will be the reason why B'ham will meet Mildenhall in the play off final   (assuming all riders stay fit )

Oops, wrong thread.

Edited by uk_martin

31 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Well, who'd have guessed a 40-50 win for the Brummies. Now whilst that is all well and dandy, and lets celebrate tonight for all it's worth. BUT tomorrow a serious matter needs addressing as far as the Brummies are concerned. This result is papering over some big cracks.

3 riders could only muster up a solitary point each, and that against a team that contains Kean Dicken.

To say that the Brummies are a 4 man team is unfair. They are 3 men and a boy who's getting 7 rides and doing the job of 2 men. The remaining 3 passengers can't be afforded when Leon gets elevated into the body of the team and is restricted to 4 rides (plus a possibility of Ht 15)

And it's no good saying Cupitt will be a good reserve. He wasn't at the end of last year and he got beaten by Kean Dicken tonight. And Walker looks little better. Something needs to be done urgently to shore up the ultra-soft underbelly of the team.

A few years ago you'd be there with flags,inflatables and bottles of Bollinger!!:lol:

It's fairly obvious at the moment(or maybe have been since season commenced)that Brum are a 4 person team.Who do we replace the under performers with at NL level?

Enjoy the win!

• Haha 1

I have a question ....

In heat 2 dicken was warned for clearly jumping the start ..

In heat 14 he done exactly the same and the red lights went on but no exclusion ?? Can someone explain please ?

When I first started following speedway in the early 1950's, teams consisted of 8 riders - 6 in the team-proper and 2 as reserves. The top 6 men each had four rides and the reserves two with the reserves allowed two extra rides each as a replacement for any of the top six who were out of form. The criteria for selecting the reserves was not based on averages though - any rider who had failed to achieve more than 50% of possible points over the previous 6 matches could be named as reserve. This gave considerably more scope to team managers' who to a degree could pick his reserves tactically.

This was surely a much fairer and better way of team selection - reserves could still be match winners without the nonsensical situation of taking part in nearly 50% of the heats, and a clever team manager could pick his team according to his knowledge of his own riders' like or dislike of a particular away track? 

An in depth re-think on both team selection and of the race formula wouldn't come amiss in my opinion.

Interesting thoughts Brian. Another alternative is what happens in Poland, where they don't have "reserves" as such, but instead the #6 & #7 in the team are "juniors", who have to be under 21. This year they have also introduced a #8 who can be a rider under 23, who doesn't get any programmed rides but can be used tactically as and when, I think.

Polish juniors keep their #6 & #7 slots irrespective of their success on the track. It's what was the making of so many of them, like Dudek and Zmarzlik. No added pressure too early, so they just kept on doing what they did, and the teams that unearthed the top juniors got the benefit of their endeavours too.

Mind you, how that fits in to the NL where ideally most of the team (other than the Stoke Pensioners) should be under 21, I'm not sure, but if there is a root and branch re-think of all the leagues then this ought to be considered as an option.