British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

World U21 team cup final Saturday August 18th

From speedwaygb.co

DYNAMIC Dan Bewley will lead Great Britain’s Young Lions squad in the World Under-21 Team Cup semi-final at Glasgow on July 14.

The cool Cumbrian kid heads a side busting with talent alongside Ellis Perks, Zach Wajtknecht, Nathan Greaves and Connor Mountain.

GB take on Australia, Germany and the Czech Republic at Ashfield and will hope to build on a season of success for their buzzing country.

Great Britain’s sensational Monster Energy FIM Speedway of Nations success with silver has really lifted the national scene.

Since then Robert Lambert and Bewley have finished one and two in the British Championship and both qualified for the World Under-21 finals.

Greaves and Mountain both finished on the podium at the British Under-21 title at Berwick while Wajtknecht has been impressive at Swindon and Lakeside. 

Great Britain Young Lions boss Neil Vatcher said: “Sometimes in life teams or individuals become victims of their own success, and on this occasion I feel the GB Team has been dealt a massive blow by not being able to select the British Champion Robert Lambert.

“His inclusion in the Finals of the SEC Series clashes with both dates of the Semi-Final at Glasgow and also if we were to qualify for the Final on August 18.

“Having said that, no one can stop progress and everyone involved with the Young Lions wishes Robert all the best in the series, plus also congratulate him on performances across the UK and Europe - he deserves to be included in the Finals.

“After having that confirmed that Robert was unavailable, we now have to move on and be positive about our team and believe that we still have the quality to qualify for our second consecutive final.

“The position that gave me the biggest heartache was to select a reserve and in fairness I had three in contention.

“Connor Mountain, Jack Smith and Jack Thomas probably all deserve a place in the squad, but with only one place available, Mountain has got the spot.

“I looked at everyone's form across the leagues and also their performances at both the British Under-21 Semi-Finals and Final. I have got to say it has caused me many a sleepiness nights. But having been impressed with Connor all season he gets the shout on this occasion.

“I know both Jacks will be disappointed, but as we all know with still a month to go before the Semi-Final anything can happen in speedway and if called upon I know both Smith and Thomas would be ready.”

Wolverhampton youngster Greaves speaking on his own inclusion said: “It’s obviously great to be called-up for your country, it’s awesome.

“I’ve just had my best score for my club Wolves on the day I got the news I’d been picked, so I’m buzzing.

“Great Britain have had a good year so far so it would be good to keep that going at Glasgow. I like Ashfield so I can’t wait to get there.

“I want to keep progressing and that has been happening. This is another big step for me.”

The GB Team would like to thank their Team Sponsors Complete Filtration Solutions, SFS Electrical and Wessex Marine for their support.

Edited by Bagpuss

Doulble point jokers still in this comp. Poland have won in Riga so will be in final along with the seeded Denmark - the highest 2nd placed team over the 2 semi`s will also make the final- Sweden scored 38 so the runners-up in Glasgow this evening have it all to do.

Final in Outrup Denmark on Saturday August 18th with Denmark, Poland, team GB and Sweden.

Did Australia use the joker at Glasgow  tonight ? i`m not sure how far behind the leaders the team has to be to use it. If they were able to use it and didn`t it probably cost them the chance of overtaking Sweden`s score of 38

Edited by racers and royals

18 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Final in Outrup Denmark on Saturday August 18th with Denmark, Poland, team GB and Sweden.

Did Australia use the joker at Berwick tonight ? i`m not sure how far behind the leaders the team has to be to use it. If they were able to use it and didn`t it probably cost them the chance of overtaking Sweden`s score of 38

Glasgow.;)

• Like 1

Disappointing that there is so little interest in this. Well done lads.

Is Lambert available for the final?

16 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Disappointing that there is so little interest in this. Well done lads.

Is Lambert available for the final?

Another thread on the wrong section and no to question 2

40 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Another thread on the wrong section and no to question 2

Thanks, found it now. Final and next Euro Champs round clash?

Final this Saturday in Outrup Denmark meeting starts 6pm uk time(practice 2pm local)

teams

Polska (kaski czerwone)
1. Dominik Kubera (kapitan)
2. Daniel Kaczmarek
3. Maksym Drabik
4. Bartosz Smektala
5. Wiktor Lampart
menedżer: Rafał Dobrucki

Wielka Brytania (kaski niebieskie)
1. Daniel Bewley
2. Ellis Perks (K)
3. Zach Wajtknecht
4. Nathan Greaves
5. Connor Mountain
menedżer: Niel Vatcher

Dania (kaski białe)
1. Christian Thaysen
2. Patrick Hansen
3. Andreas Lyager
4. Frederik Jakobsen (kapitan)
5. Jonas Seifert-Salk
menedżer: Henrik Möller

Szwecja (kaski żółte)
1. Filip Hjelmland
2. Alexander Woentin
3. Emil Millberg
4. Joel Kling (K)
5. William Bjoerling
menedżer: Anders Froejd

Filip Hjelmland won't be riding. He is out for the rest of the season due to injury.

1 hour ago, Ghostwalker said:

Filip Hjelmland won't be riding. He is out for the rest of the season due to injury.

Woentin and Björling also crashed out at Varkaus. Woentin only hit his head but Björling hurt his wrist.