British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Belle Vue v Brummies Fri 22nd June

BELLE VUE COLTS: Tom Perry, Ben Woodhull, Kyle Bickley, Joe Lawlor, Jack Smith, Paul Bowen, Kean Dicken.

BIRMINGHAM: Tom Bacon, Layne Cupitt, James Shanes, Callum Walker, Danyon Hume, Arran Butcher, Leon Flint.

Guest GiveusaB

We will see what we're made of tonight?

The track at Perry Barr on Wednesday was woeful.....'bare concrete' in places!

But tonight, the lads have an opportunity to express themselves on a proper racetrack, one with plenty of grip/dirt!

It's going to be tough...I think we'll hit the 40 point mark, but can't see where the extra 6 points will come from in order for us to win it?

Who dares wins at the NSS !

Not sure why? but the Perry Barr track has become slicker than a 'Michael Jackson' dance routine!

Edited by GiveusaB

Based upon Lawlor being fit for this one i can see him being the difference maker in this one with Woodhull also amongst the points. Smith & Bickley know their way round although Perry's form has been far from sparkling this year. 

The big 4 for Brum will fare well and it should be Walkers kind of track so if Cupitt can find a few and Butcher betters Dicken (in fairness id expect any Butcher, Baker etc to better Dicken) then the points will head to the Midlands.

Either way fingers crossed for a good crowd and a close exciting meeting. 

Guest GiveusaB
14 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Based upon Lawlor being fit for this one i can see him being the difference maker in this one with Woodhull also amongst the points. Smith & Bickley know their way round although Perry's form has been far from sparkling this year. 

The big 4 for Brum will fare well and it should be Walkers kind of track so if Cupitt can find a few and Butcher betters Dicken (in fairness id expect any Butcher, Baker etc to better Dicken) then the points will head to the Midlands.

Either way fingers crossed for a good crowd and a close exciting meeting. 

I agree with you...however, Dicken actually beat Butcher in the MDL meeting last Wednesday and his race win time was faster than Butcher's..... respectively?

If Flint takes to the track like he's been doing at PB, then he'll definitely be having a busy night....I can see him taking '6' rides.....that's quite tiring for a young lad around such a big circuit!

P.S Tom Perry won the British Grasstrack Championship last weekend.......'Well done Tom'!

Edited by GiveusaB

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

...that's quite tiring for a young lad around such a big circuit!

P.S Tom Perry won the British Grasstrack Championship last weekend.......'Well done Tom'!

15 year-olds are that full of beans at that age you could give him 10 rides and he'll ask for more. I know that gets difficult for us "over 21's" to appreciate, especially the way we feel sometimes at our age, but I recall being in my youth MANY years ago playing sport in the park (in the days when kids still did that sort of thing) from morning to night.

And as for Tom Perry's success, wasn't that on a 350cc machine, probably getting up to the same sort of speeds that his 500cc was achieving on Wednesday night? Or was he still using his 350cc engine on Wednesday?

9 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

15 year-olds are that full of beans at that age you could give him 10 rides and he'll ask for more. I know that gets difficult for us "over 21's" to appreciate, especially the way we feel sometimes at our age, but I recall being in my youth MANY years ago playing sport in the park (in the days when kids still did that sort of thing) from morning to night.

And as for Tom Perry's success, wasn't that on a 350cc machine, probably getting up to the same sort of speeds that his 500cc was achieving on Wednesday night? Or was he still using his 350cc engine on Wednesday?

Big tracks are less tiring than small ones where the bike is turned more rapidly / more frequently, straights afford 1-2 seconds extra to catch breath. 

350cc machines don't hang around, didn't attend so don't know what the level of opposition was but a National Title is still a National title.

Guest GiveusaB
26 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

The reason Tom wasn't as quick on Wednesday, was because the track had absolutely no dirt on it!

Hence why Jack Smith beat James Shanes in Heat 15 !

I hope this is rectified for the next home meeting!

Edited by GiveusaB

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I hope this is rectified for the next home meeting!

Not sure. There's something to be said for having consisency in the track from one week to the next. In any case, according to the Stoke web site, there's a national shortage of shale these days! We don't want to get the "wrong stuff" (like they did) just for the sake of it, and end up with a track like theirs now do we?

Well, who'd have guessed a 40-50 win for the Brummies. Now whilst that is all well and dandy, and lets celebrate tonight for all it's worth. BUT tomorrow a serious matter needs addressing as far as the Brummies are concerned. This result is papering over some big cracks.

3 riders could only muster up a solitary point each, and that against a team that contains Kean Dicken.

To say that the Brummies are a 4 man team is unfair. They are 3 men and a boy who's getting 7 rides and doing the job of 2 men. The remaining 3 passengers can't be afforded when Leon gets elevated into the body of the team and is restricted to 4 rides (plus a possibility of Ht 15)

And it's no good saying Cupitt will be a good reserve. He wasn't at the end of last year and he got beaten by Kean Dicken tonight. And Walker looks little better. Something needs to be done urgently to shore up the ultra-soft underbelly of the team.

I agree with UK Martin once Flint moves up Birmingham are going to be so weak at reserve with butcher and Cupitt 

Once Leon Flint is in the main body of the team Birmingham will be considerably weaker particularly at reserve

Flint is obviously a great prospect and Birmingham deserved their win tonight.

First time I have seen Flint. Very impressed...........but not as impressed as I was by Kemp. 

Brummies well worth their win, using their in form reserve to their best advantage. 

Heats 13 & 15 would have graced a GP :approve:

Think Flint is pretty special.  I remember late last season him doing after-meeting practice for the first time on a 500, or at least that's what Haley Bromley announced.   He looked quick and assured.  I was convinced that he was going to be a Colts reserve this year but, obviously, can't win them all.

On another tack, I'm not sure Tom Perry is the answer to the number 1 spot.  

49 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

First time I have seen Flint. Very impressed...........but not as impressed as I was by Kemp. 

Brummies well worth their win, using their in form reserve to their best advantage. 

Heats 13 & 15 would have graced a GP :approve:

I`ve watched Leon`s progression from the smaller cc`s right up to the 500`s and even I have been amazed at what he has been doing this season. Thing is with Leon he takes all of this in his stride and keeps his feet firmly on the floor. Hopefully the likes of him and young Kemp will progress over the next few years.

The acid test for these young lads mopping up at reserve is moving up into the side proper with less easy meat.

Brennan and Jenkins have done v well, no reason why kemp and flint shouldn't follow

• Like 1