Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington v Glasgow 23/06/18 7:00pm

6 minutes ago, stewmac said:

Before the season started I thought Glasgow were going to wipe the floor with everyone. 

Must be hell of a frustrating for their management and fans to see them losing again and again. 

The biggest disappointments must be Harris and Sarjeant. Harris was especially disappointing last night and 8 points from 5 rides and no heat wins simply isn't good enough.

4 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

We have a new angry aussie the last one was mal  in the 70s welcome ty the new angry aussie.he was well stuffed in the last heat where as nic and harris both rode hard but left room for for others to ease off or give it a go .

That's how I saw it, too. 

Klindt was hard on Starke but he left room  whereas Vissing didn't.

• Like 1

Very entertaining meeting against the Tigers with all the ingredients that can make speedway such a great sport worthy of a much bigger audience. No lack of effort by any rider from either team . Harris tried his nuts off but just couldn't find a win against a very resolute home side . Richie Worrall had a couple of great scraps with Rene Bach with honours even. Claus was solid again, nearly had Ty Proctor tasting the paint on the fence in heat 15 in a very hard move which resulted in handbags after the race.  Starky kept plugging away, was also on the end of a hard racing move by Nicolai in heat 7 and expressed his displeasure after the race..  Was also involved in the first half point score i've ever entered on a speedway programme in heat 11 after hunting down Mason over the four laps, we actually thought he nicked it on the line.  James Sarjeant again won the reserves race  after Mason was just spinning up off the line and unable to reel him in.

For the Comets the boys were solid throughout but it was the performance of Rene on a reportedly new engine that gave most satisfaction, he will be much happier with that i'm sure. It was good to see Ty return with no obvious ill effects and 3 good wins to boot. He wasn't happy with the referee in heat 5 when it looked as though the  Tigers pair got a flier and he ended up biting the dust on turns 3 & 4 playing catch up. The home 5-1 and two 4-2's in heats 8 through 10 turned a 2 point deficit into a 6 point lead which the Comets never relinquished. 

It will be great to see the full seven back in action and disappointing Nicolai and Rene won't be available for the Fours.

Thanks to all the Tigers fans who made the journey, must have been very disappointing to not get something from the meeting.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 6

48 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Harris was especially disappointing last night and 8 points from 5 rides and no heat wins simply isn't good enough.

Thats a decent return for Harris, and why he needs replaced.

Was good to see craig cook in the pits with kyle and offering advice after match with kyle having a practice  , he is well on the pace just needs one win and he will be lifted.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Must be the first dead heat in years, I thought speedway had done away with them. The last one I saw was at somerset over a decade ago!

It is OK, Vatcher will change it in midweek to a definative point for one or the other.

• Haha 1

Definitely a head scratcher. 

Achilles heal all year has been a lack of punch at both ends of the team. JS returning to some kind of form gives a glimmer of hope, but one heat win from our top 2 over 2 away matches is not going to cut it.

Staring down the barrel of just 5 more Tigers meetings at Ashfield this year, surreal.

Edited by Fingersfin
Double post
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fingersfin said:

Definitely a head scratcher. 

Achilles heal all year has been a lack of punch at both ends of the team. JS returning to some kind of form gives a glimmer of hope, but one heat win from our top 2 over 2 away matches is not going to cut it.
Staring down the barrel of just 5 more Tigers meetings at Ashfield this years, surreal. 

The last one is a Sunday 3pm fixture against Edinburgh. Not good.

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

First one I have seen - if my hazy memory serves me well - in nigh on 800 matches.

Remember one in the seventies, 34.5 to 43.5, Scunthorpe I think it was back in the day's of 13hts and Ken McKinley's famous JAP!! 

There's an old throwback to ponder!! :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, geoff100 said:

We have a new angry aussie the last one was mal  in the 70s welcome ty the new angry aussie.he was well stuffed in the last heat where as nic and harris both rode hard but left room for for others to ease off or give it a go .

Have to admit tho, on your first meeting back after a fortnight off with injury the last thing you want is to be tickled off in one and shown the fence in another, no wonder he got a bit agitated!! :blink:

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, SteelShoe said:

Would never describe the Tigers performances at Derwent Park as half arsed Gazc. Usually close and entertaining, always feel you guys are gonna get something. One of the most attractive fixtures on the calendar for me !

Watched all our home performances bar one at home and some away and all away have looked half arsed couldn't care attitude, in that half could be arsed and the rest couldn't only the way I saw it.

Same can be said for some of there home performances so as you only witnessed last night it is fair to say some are half hearted efforts.

2 hours ago, MD said:

The last one is a Sunday 3pm fixture against Edinburgh. Not good.

Hope it is damp or we will have another sandstorm of the Sahara proportions , trying to remain positive is difficult at the moment.

Been watching speedway since 1970 in this country and abroad, but as far as I'm aware never seen a dead heat, don't think comets been involved in one ? Is this true ?

i think its the second one . 

1 hour ago, scaramanga said:

yeah im sure there was a dead heat for Workington a good few years ago 

im sure jacko will know 

Scroll back up this thread half a dozen posts and you'll find the answer to that!!

Always stuck in my mind as I think it was the meeting that ended our very long unbeaten home record at that time? :sad:

Scunthorpe Saints as they were then with the sign of Simon Templer (The Saint) on the race jacket....if memory serves us oldies will remember that programme?? :D