British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Wolverhampton v Leicester Monday June 25th TV match

8 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Don't forget it was on BT so the decision to charge normal admission prices was always going to have an adverse effect on the crowd

And an adverse effect on the sport as a whole.

The fact the buffoons haven't realised this after 20 years is staggering.

Easy to blame BT for lack of crowds because it was televised but were crowds, as a whole, better in the earlier part of the season before BT started televising meetings.  Were crowds that much better when the meeting is not televised. Being televised does not exactly stop people watching the many other sports that are televised. Perhaps it is the fact that the amount of admision charged is putting yoo many people off especially for how much actual racing time there is and the fact that many of these races are a procession following the gater for 4 laps.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mike1944 said:

Easy to blame BT for lack of crowds because it was televised but were crowds, as a whole, better in the earlier part of the season before BT started televising meetings.  Were crowds that much better when the meeting is not televised. Being televised does not exactly stop people watching the many other sports that are televised. Perhaps it is the fact that the amount of admision charged is putting yoo many people off especially for how much actual racing time there is and the fact that many of these races are a procession following the gater for 4 laps.

To answer your question crowds have been very good at Monmore this year. The televised one on Monday was way down attendance wise, possibly by as much as 30 to 40%, it's difficult to say exactly but that's my guess. If attendance is up again for the next one we will have our answer. The only blip apart from Monday was the ko cup but that was effectively a dead rubber

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

To answer your question crowds have been very good at Monmore this year. The televised one on Monday was way down attendance wise, possibly by as much as 30 to 40%, it's difficult to say exactly but that's my guess. If attendance is up again for the next one we will have our answer. The only blip apart from Monday was the ko cup but that was effectively a dead rubber

Wow , another one with his head in the clouds. Attendances at Monmore are about half what they used to be 10 years ago, how can that be  " very good "  With one stand open on the home straight you can use your own eyes to see its obviously  less than half  full. Attendances in speedway are on the critical list, Wolverhampton is no exception. 

9 hours ago, New Science said:

Wow , another one with his head in the clouds. Attendances at Monmore are about half what they used to be 10 years ago, how can that be  " very good "  With one stand open on the home straight you can use your own eyes to see its obviously  less than half  full. Attendances in speedway are on the critical list, Wolverhampton is no exception. 

I was comparing it to recent seasons not 10 years ago

• Like 1

I suspect that attendances for speedway meetings are down at every uk track. 

It's not really difficult to understand why this is. Generally speaking, you very rarely get a truly enjoyable evenings entertainment with most races are follow the leader, along with endless delays and messing about between races. However, the biggest problem is the cost of admission, far too high particularly if you have to travel to the venue which incurs more expense. A friend of mine showed an interest in attending a meeting recently, that was until I told him that just to get through the gate for him and his wife would set him back £34. 

If you look around any speedway meeting the crowd is made up of a very high percentage of over 50s. You see the same faces week in week out. 

The stadiums are run down, and very much in need of investment. With poor facilities and not great viewing of any racing that might take place.  

For what is currently on offer, it just inst value for money. It is a £10 sport. 

If the TV and KO Cup meeting were only 30/40% down crowds are clearly not good and that must be a concern because Wolves are one of the select few not affected by having to change their race night for the FNR.