British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Somerset v King's Lynn 25/06/18

1 hour ago, womble53 said:

He was way behind at the time & even without the retirement, he would never have got in a scoring position, the rest were too quick for him on this occasion.

That’s not the point ! You don’t chuck a race in just because  your 4th what if the KL pair packed up ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, womble53 said:

He was way behind at the time & even without the retirement, he would never have got in a scoring position, the rest were too quick for him on this occasion.

Ok,fair enough.I'll settle on the draw then:t:

4 hours ago, Always a RACER said:

That’s not the point ! You don’t chuck a race in just because  your 4th what if the KL pair packed up ? 

Womble was talking about MPT in heat 14 in that quote!

Enjoyed my trip to the OTA but easily the worst meeting I've ever seen there racing wise, keptt interesting by the score. No outside line especially later on. Never thought id say it about Somerset but if that was my first taste of speedway not sure I'd be back. 

Why there is no out side line the track man from last year, in the winter took all the banking off. Now if you look the track is flat and to put it back to what it was would a lot of money, and that if you could get good shale?

16 minutes ago, bruno said:

Enjoyed my trip to the OTA but easily the worst meeting I've ever seen there racing wise, keptt interesting by the score. No outside line especially later on. Never thought id say it about Somerset but if that was my first taste of speedway not sure I'd be back. 

Said the same after Poole match, racing not up to previous years standard which is such a shame as have so much time for the club.

11 hours ago, SomersetBlue said:

Basically Vissing has to go. I don't want to say it as Iike Claus but he clearly is not the standard of a Premier rider and not a heat leader. In two meetings he has beat Max Clegg. It puts more pressure on Lawson and Holder especially when we face two big guns like NKI and Lambert we need our middle order to be firing. 

Vissing has been bought in for one sole purpose. Not be available tomorrow at Poole so Doyle, Holder, greebo and bwd can take his rides ensuring Somerset get past Poole in the KO cup. A week or so after that his services will be dispensed with.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

The  OTA bathed in sunshine for the entire meeting is a sight to behold and last night temperatures soared into the 70’s which was a real treat. Brent Knoll looked a treat as a spectacular back drop, blue clear skies with seagulls regularly circling overhead. 

Despite (for the OTA) the lack of passing, I counted only 7 or 8 passes, it was a tense, exciting meeting and yet another last heat decider. 

Iversen was in a class of his own. Although matched from the gate a couple of times, his drive and speed over that 15 metres or so into the first turn was the telling point.  Not once was he led out of the first and second turns the whole evening. Once in front he settled into the fastest line with ease. It always seems that when a rider is fast and comfortable with the track, they look like they are settling back into an armchair. Iversen epitomised that view last night. 

The Stars fully deserved their point and looked threatening throughout. With Palm-Toft at reserve and British Champion Robert Lambert in the form of his life, for the first time this season a home loss looked a possibility after heat 13. 

However, Doyle swapped to his second bike for the clash of the big guns in heat 15 and looked much quicker. At one point he came within a whisker of Iversen’s back wheel on the home straight of lap 3, but had to settle for second best to the flying Dane. Holder kept Lambert at bay to ensure a draw. 

Holder himself was lucky to avoid injury after rearing alarmingly coming out of turn 2 in heat 4. He did his level best to keep the front wheel down, but instead crashed heavily into the back straight fence. His machine catapulted into the air along side him, narrowly missing him and the following riders. As the red lights came on, Palm-Toft, hot in pursuit of Nico Covatti at the time, clipped the Rebel’s new signing’s rear wheel which sent him spectacularly into the home straight fence. For a second or two there lay two stricken riders on the track and one really did fear for both men. However, what seems to be so typical of speedway riders, both were up and walking back to the pits within minutes. One can’t help comparing what we are seeing on the TV currently with professional footballers in the World Cup hitting the deck at the slightest contact to these steely riders, many of which are very slightly built. Doyle described the reason Holder was up and on his feet so quickly as “he bounces easily!’  

Once again new signing Claus Vissing looked very poor. Some derision from some supporters on the back straight was heard as the Dane finished last again in his final ride. Patience wears thin these days, and one wonders if his time is almost up after only a couple of meetings. Garry May will have been watching carefully. 

Finally a mention for Covatti who is a thrilling addition to the team. He showed his gating skills last night but his remarkable pass of Jorgensen in heat 14 after losing ground initially on the Dane and then hunting him down and passing him on the 4th bend to join Lawson up front not only won him race of the night, but rider of the night also. 

Edited by EnglishRoundabout
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Vissing has been bought in for one sole purpose. Not be available tomorrow at Poole so Doyle, Holder, greebo and bwd can take his rides ensuring Somerset get past Poole in the KO cup. A week or sonafter that his services will be dispensed with.

Tbf I was saying last night I wonder if he was a short term signing while we looked for better options as if the total is still 42.50 we then have 7.16 to play with without Vissings average. 

I will say about last night this is the worst track I have ever seen at the OTA since me and my late uncle started going when they were created. I really don't know what has happened to the club, it definitely wasn't the same atmosphere last night compared to what it was. I enjoyed going back all the same but didn't seem right. 

12 hours ago, Icicle said:

Vissing is one of those, just when you want him to go "missing" he pops up & has a good meeting...v. annoying

If you look at previous seasons he always starts the season well,but once his Danish and Polish fixtures kick in he always" goes of the boil" either too hectic  schedule or just playing safe for the money IMO .

53 minutes ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Iversen was in a class of his own. Although matched from the gate a couple of times, his drive and speed over that 15 metres or so into the first turn was the telling point.  Not once was he led out of the first and second turns the whole evening. Once in front he settled into the fastest line with ease. It always seems that when a rider is fast and comfortable with the track, they look like they are settling back into an armchair. Iversen epitomised that view last night. 

Sorry ER but BWD did it in Ht1 

http://ihitchcock.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2940385867-3.jpg

Edited by idh

Your eyes are as sharp as that lense of yours! My mistake, apologies!

1 hour ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

The  OTA bathed in sunshine for the entire meeting is a sight to behold and last night temperatures soared into the 70’s which was a real treat. Brent Knoll looked a treat as a spectacular back drop, blue clear skies with seagulls regularly circling overhead. 

Despite (for the OTA) the lack of passing, I counted only 7 or 8 passes, it was a tense, exciting meeting and yet another last heat decider. 

The Stars fully deserved their point and looked threatening throughout. With Palm-Toft at reserve and British Champion Robert Lambert in the form of his life, for the first time this season a home loss looked a possibility after heat 13. 

However, Doyle swapped to his second bike for the clash of the big guns in heat 15 and looked much quicker. At one point he came within a whisker of Iversen’s back wheel on the home straight of lap 3, but had to settle for second best to the flying Dane. Holder kept Lambert at bay to ensure a draw. 

Holder himself was lucky to avoid injury after rearing alarmingly coming out of turn 2 in heat 4. He did his level best to keep the front wheel down, but instead crashed heavily into the back straight fence. His machine catapulted into the air along side him, narrowly missing him and the following riders. As the red lights came on, Palm-Toft, hot in pursuit of Nico Covatti at the time, clipped the Rebel’s new signing’s rear wheel which sent him spectacularly into the home straight fence. For a second or two there lay two stricken riders on the track and one really did fear for both men. However, what seems to be so typical of speedway riders, both were up and walking back to the pits within minutes. One can’t help comparing what we are seeing on the TV currently with professional footballers in the World Cup hitting the deck at the slightest contact to these steely riders, many of which are very slightly built. Doyle described the reason Holder was up and on his feet so quickly as “he bounces easily!’  

Once again new signing Claus Vissing looked very poor. Some derision from some supporters on the back straight was heard as the Dane finished last again in his final ride. Patience wears thin these days, and one wonders if his time is almost up after only a couple of meetings. Garry May will have been watching carefully. 

Finally a mention for Covatti who is a thrilling addition to the team. He showed his gating skills last night but his remarkable pass of Jorgensen in heat 14 after losing ground initially on the Dane and then hunting him down and passing him on the 4th bend to join Lawson up front not only won him race of the night, but rider of the night also. 

What a great report! You really painted a great picture of events last night.

Thanks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Always a RACER said:

Firstly, thanks for your reply, but please tell me where I said it was ok? 

Secondly, the quote above was in reply to Tellboy & was about Michael Palm Toft in Heat 14 & not Doyley, so it may pay to read the post correctly before jumping in with both feet.

Thirdly, regarding Doyle's retirement in Heat 13, you wrote this........ 

17 hours ago, Always a RACER said:

Of course he may have had a bike problem but it didn’t look like it 

To which I replied, "Appeared to come out on his second bike for Heat 15, certainly looked like a fresh bike to me", which I now believe to be true.

If you have a problem with Doyle's performance, fine, I don't have an issue with that but please at least read the posts correctly if you're going to try & dig me out over them.

Edited by womble53
  • Like 1