British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

27•06•18 - Premiership - Rye House v Swindon

19 minutes ago, Hot Shoe said:

Sadly the BSPA don't understand that fans are actually customers. A fact that seems to be lost on many promoters too.

There lies the problem

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

That sounds ominous :unsure:

It certainly wasn`t meant to be. However matches are just not called off without a reason and as Rye House haven`t said why i would expect the BSPA too.

10 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

It certainly wasn`t meant to be. However matches are just not called off without a reason and as Rye House haven`t said why i would expect the BSPA too.

Unless it's a bit breezy up Norfolk way!

2 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

Rye House isn't in Norfolk and as far as I know never has.

Did I mention rye house. I was referring to unusual call offs in other parts of the country!

• Like 1

If Rye House have pulled out and I stress IF at this point, then this is 100% on the BSPA, this was totally unavoidable unlike most track closures.

Whilst BMR have probably made a number of mistakes I am sure those mistakes were made in good faith, they have made hugh committments into the club, paying top dollar (in English Speedway) for Harris, NIcholls and KK to put out a competitive team and were rewarded with great crowds last year. But the BSPA true to form weren't going to leave a good news story alone so they imposed the ffffing ridiculous fixed race nights on Rye House, top that with the collapse in TV money (negotiated by ????), it didn't need Hercule Poirot to for see this one coming.

Lets hope if and I stress IF Rye House cannot continue in the Premiership speedway is not lost and Championship or even National League would be a return to sanity.

I sincerely hope to apologise in the next few days for this posting and that I (like everybody else) has misread the smoke signals.

• Like 7

I don't think Rayleigh's scaremongering with this - sadly it could well be the situation.

Rye House have struggled with the introduction of FRN and with such fine margins in speedway between staying in business or going under I fear that there may be a severe financial issue at the club. 

If this is the case it will surely mean the end of the FRN experiment?

Edited by Gresham78
Punctuation

22 minutes ago, Gresham78 said:

I don't think Rayleigh's scaremongering with this - sadly it could well be the situation.

Rye House have struggled with the introduction of FRN and with such fine margins in speedway between staying in business or going under I fear that there may be a severe financial issue at the club. 

If this is the case it will surely mean the end of the FRN experiment?

Experiments of any kind by the BSPA, in it's enormous, far-reaching efforts to re-build UK speedway are always for one whole season and I think the effects of FRNs will be carefully dissected and examined at the annual conference, before the 2019 plan will be put into place. Should there be any club casualties along the way that would be deemed to be unfortunate.

But so many supporters are clamoring for the BSPA to make wholesale changes and it proves that it won't always work. British Speedway is in too delicate a financial position to completely re-vamp it. Don't know where it goes from here. :cry:

Every club has to run on the best night for their business, to attract the best crowd. If the riders can't commit to this, then they have to go. What is more important, The track surviving, or the riders financial needs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

Experiments of any kind by the BSPA, in it's enormous, far-reaching efforts to re-build UK speedway are always for one whole season and I think the effects of FRNs will be carefully dissected and examined at the annual conference, before the 2019 plan will be put into place. Should there be any club casualties along the way that would be deemed to be unfortunate.

This is my club that I have supported since 1970 and it could fold due to a ill thought out whim of an idea (just look at all the postings for months warning of this) and you regard it as unfortunate, a justification last used by Dr Harold Shipman

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

This is my club that I have supported since 1970 and it could fold due to a ill thought out whim of an idea (just look at all the postings for months warning of this) and you regard it as unfortunate, a justification last used by Dr Harold Shipman

My posting was a tongue in cheek knock of the BSPA at the kind of press release they might make about the situation. I do not personally regard the loss of any club as "unfortunate", it is a tragedy for supporters when their local track closes IF this happens. The FRN is yet another BSPA cock up and they will ultimately force clubs out of financial viability. My apologies if you thought otherwise. I have lost two clubs, one permanently and one temporarily in the past.

Sorry Waytogo28 I appreciate your reply. its just emotional the thought of possibly losing the club again (1973 and 1993)

I hope, as there is no announcement that the club has withdrawn from the league, that Rye have decided it is simply not financially viable to ride on Wednesdays anymore which means the ball is now in the BSPA court.

Time for speedway in this country to rebuild- let’s get back to weekend fixtures home meetings every other week in one big league- if riders can’t commit to every fixture there team races in don’t sign the rider - only riders 100% committed to British speedway should be used not the will ride in Uk if there is nothing else better elsewhere attitude- and reduce admission to £15 . 

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

My posting was a tongue in cheek knock of the BSPA at the kind of press release they might make about the situation. I do not personally regard the loss of any club as "unfortunate", it is a tragedy for supporters when their local track closes IF this happens. The FRN is yet another BSPA cock up and they will ultimately force clubs out of financial viability. My apologies if you thought otherwise. I have lost two clubs, one permanently and one temporarily in the past.

It is true to say though that for much of last season and over the winter, most people on on forum thought FRN were the answer and the BSPA must have listened to that, along with Jason Doyle, Chris Holder and other riders. I always said it was a bad idea, tail wagging dog etc. If a rider cannot commit to a club then get someone who can - their loss. To risk the viability of clubs is the ultimate risk in my view, much more important than transient riders. Why should they be allowed to ride in 2 or even 3 UK leagues? Those over 6 in PL should not be allowed in CL and I don't care whether they rode CL or not before. It's time they got tough with this. Yes, it will reduce riders in the CL but there are plenty in NL and development leagues to take up places.

• Like 5