British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

27•06•18 - Premiership - Rye House v Swindon

Just now, Orbiter said:

In some cases even breaking even!

I wonder who out of the premiership and championship teams could be making a profit 

Just now, noaksey said:

I wonder who out of the premiership and championship teams could be making a profit 

Be interesting to see the figures never will of course

24 minutes ago, noaksey said:

I was at the Rye v Wolves match. The crowd was awful if that was indicative of attendances then they must be struggling 

I have been at every meeting except last Wednesday and sadly apart from the first Bank Holiday Monday the crowds have been poor. The first Bank Holiday Monday was a good crowd but due to the high afternoon temperatures the track needed watering which meant the meeting dragged a little, which is not a criticism of the promotion, as they did the best possible job. The biggest problem is that it appears to be a one line track which is as close to the fence as a rider dares to go which limits overtaking chances. Although we have seen some very good races we had too many which are over by the end of the first lap. 

12 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Experiments of any kind by the BSPA, in it's enormous, far-reaching efforts to re-build UK speedway are always for one whole season and I think the effects of FRNs will be carefully dissected and examined at the annual conference, before the 2019 plan will be put into place. Should there be any club casualties along the way that would be deemed to be unfortunate.

I have re read your message and I completely took it the wrong way, by reading it with "tounge in cheek" I now totally agree with it. Sorry.

4 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

Probably the best anybody can hope for is that they will not race again on a Wednesday night and will revert back to Saturday's All matches should revert back to their best nights When Speedway was successful in this country most matches took place at the weekend. I have always said the GP's has ruined Speedway in this country.

Only because the BSPA let it...

Instead of getting upset at the GP taking 'their riders' (laughable I know), they should have worked a plan to plough their own furrow..

Instead, as usual, they did their normal fudged/half way house/let's see if we can cobble together something that doesn't really actually help anyone/cross our fingers and hope for the best, 'plan'....

No one who runs the GP's bothers about British Speedway, nor do those who run their respective Leagues in Denmark, Sweden and most importantly maybe, Poland..

This must surely eventually dawn soon on those who run the sport in this country? 

And when it does they can then make plans to restart and rebuild the sport in Britain...

With the first point on the agenda,  running speedway meetings on the nights you can get your best attendances...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Only because the BSPA let it...

Instead of getting upset at the GP taking 'their riders' (laughable I know), they should have worked a plan to plough their own furrow..

Instead, as usual, they did their normal fudged/half way house/let's see if we can cobble together something that doesn't really actually help anyone/cross our fingers and hope for the best, 'plan'....

No one who runs the GP's bothers about British Speedway, nor do those who run their respective Leagues in Denmark, Sweden and most importantly maybe, Poland..

This must surely eventually dawn soon on those who run the sport in this country? 

And when it does they can then make plans to restart and rebuild the sport in Britain...

With the first point on the agenda,  running speedway meetings on the nights you can get your best attendances...

And maintain a full septet of rider's home and away baring injuries.  

These are serious times, not just for Rye House. I read all the comments about product dilution with despair that people cannot see that the house of cards is collapsing.

Our worries will not be who is in the team but whether there will be a team.

The matter of whether the sport will be semi-professional or professional itself is dangerously close to being taken out of our hands.

what is killing British Speedway is rider cost, inflated by the money available in Poland.

I've felt for a while that the collapse of professional speedway in Britain is sadly imminent and it seems that the apparent collapse of Rye House is just the opening event Of the final act.

Of course Poole, Wolverhampton. Belle Vue and Kong's Lynn will be ok and I wish them and their supporters well in their 4 team league. No Swindon? Count the houses........

Meanwhile the rest need to find a way to continue but in a very different directiin.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

These are serious times, not just for Rye House. I read all the comments about product dilution with despair that people cannot see that the house of cards is collapsing.

The matter of whether the sport will be semi-professional or professional itself is dangerously close to being taken out of our hands.

what is killing British Speedway is rider cost, inflated by the money available in Poland.

I've felt for a while that the collapse of professional speedway in Britain is sadly imminent and it seems that the apparent collapse of Rye House is just the opening event Of the final act.

Of course Poole, Wolverhampton. Belle Vue and Kong's Lynn will be ok and I wish them and their supporters well in their 4 team league. No Swindon? Count the houses........

Meanwhile the rest need to find a way to continue but in a very different directiin.

Wolves had less than 500 on Monday with no recompense from the "home of bikes " BT sport. They are in this as much as Rye House  

• Like 1

The disaster that awaited clubs that had to change race nights has filtered down to those tracks that didn't. The whole sport is bankrupt. This will be the last season of speedway in its current format.

The rot set in in 2010 when Ford has his hissy fit! A league that was already starting to struggle financially would most likely fall apart without 2 very well supported teams like Coventry and Peterborough. I said it then and sadly it seems to be getting to that stage. I really can't see how the sport can reverse the slide now. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, TesarRacing said:

The rot set in in 2010 when Ford has his hissy fit! A league that was already starting to struggle financially would most likely fall apart without 2 very well supported teams like Coventry and Peterborough. I said it then and sadly it seems to be getting to that stage. I really can't see how the sport can reverse the slide now. 

I agree gone beyond the point of return 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, New Science said:

Wolves had less than 500 on Monday with no recompense from the "home of bikes " BT sport. They are in this as much as Rye House  

11 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I fail to see what riders get paid in Poland has to do with it.If British Promoters paided the rates THEY can afford it would solve a lot of financial difficulty.Let the riders ride in Poland for big money let's see how many survive on1/2 dozen meetings per year ( if they get paid).The chickens are coming home.!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I fail to see what riders get paid in Poland has to do with it.If British Promoters paided the rates THEY can afford it would solve a lot of financial difficulty.Let the riders ride in Poland for big money let's see how many survive on1/2 dozen meetings per year ( if they get paid).The chickens are coming home.!!

Expectations. It only takes one promoter to give in and the costs rise. Are you really so naive to expect promoters can simply name their price to riders they really want? Polish pay rates change what riders expect to be paid elsewhere. Think it through instead of blindly dismissing a point you're unable to understand please.

Edited by RobMcCaffery