British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

27•06•18 - Premiership - Rye House v Swindon

53 minutes ago, MattK said:

A semi-pro league would get you to no league faster than the current trajectory.

Again, that's not the case.

The league was semi pro in far more prosperous times without any problems. The top riders are full time, but reserves and some second strings are semi-pro. That was always the case even when we had the top riders racing here.

37 minutes ago, frigbo said:

It's simple economics though surely?

You can't spend out more than come in - too many tracks are doing that right now.

if substantial funding which tracks don't have is needed drive up incomings,  the only option to stay afloat is to minimise outgoings.

Personally, I think we're at a stage where not enough new people think speedway is anything but dull (which let's be honest most of the time it is) and as its hardcore support dies off there are insufficient new people to jutify the spend on massive promotional costs.

As a fan of 40+ years, the reasons i no longer go are purely down to the lack of credibility as a team sport. I want to support Swindon, not some random selection of seven mercenaries each week who will prostitute their services to whoever wants them next. For me some of the best seasons in relatively recent times were the 2000-2003 seasons in the lower league. We had continuity,  regular meetings,  full away teams and a Swindon side that gave a toss - nothing to do with it being second division.

That argument has been trotted out season after season after season for the past 15-20 years and the answer has always been cut costs.

Cut costs.. attendances fall.
We need to cut costs!... attendances fall
We need to cut costs!... attendances fall.

and on and on it has gone.

Any business whose answer is to lower their standards but keep the same price point is doomed to failure.

Totally agree with you about the lack of 'team' now. I didn't mind top riders in the past riding abroad.. but when half your team is riding for another team in the Championship that's just dumb. Are they saving their best for one or the other team? Using their better engines for one or the other team? 

5 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Yes I agree with that 100%.

The same is happening at Wolverhampton this year following their decision to leave Lindgren out.

The issue of some riders not being full time is the part that I suggested doesn't correlate as much.

Probably even more worrying for Wolves then.

I thought Adams was not so happy at the lack of people turning up last year even with Lindgren in the side. If its dropped further its yet again further evidence of how bad things are. Similar with turn outs at Poole but much of that may be down to poor team performance and the constant rain offs & postponements for track issues.

When the likes of Matt Ford are feeling the pinch big time even with all their sponsors and cant even afford team kevlars then you know the sport is in trouble.

5 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

That argument has been trotted out season after season after season for the past 15-20 years and the answer has always been cut costs.

Cut costs.. attendances fall.
We need to cut costs!... attendances fall
We need to cut costs!... attendances fall.

and on and on it has gone.

Any business whose answer is to lower their standards but keep the same price point is doomed to failure.

Totally agree with you about the lack of 'team' now. I didn't mind top riders in the past riding abroad.. but when half your team is riding for another team in the Championship that's just dumb. Are they saving their best for one or the other team? Using their better engines for one or the other team? 

On your last comment. Indeed.

You have riders like Sundstrom at Poole doing UK - both Swe leagues plus POL or Hans Andersen doing UK/POL/SWE/DK.

There are others and how can you be so focused when you are riding in 4 countries per week. I personally think the likes of Brady Kurtz have suffered this season from taking on 3 per week for the first time this season. Just all the constant flying and travelling between airports and tracks is enough to take it out of most let alone do your best when racing all over Europe.

We rightly expect our teams riders to do their best when they turn out for us but how can they with such a workload and constant commuting. Just getting to and form airports - checking in - delays - Customs borders - onward movement to and from airport to tracks etc. It's all addl mental pressure. Two Countries is probably difficult enough but 3/4 ???.

Probably the best anybody can hope for is that they will not race again on a Wednesday night and will revert back to Saturday's All matches should revert back to their best nights When Speedway was successful in this country most matches took place at the weekend. I have always said the GP's has ruined Speedway in this country.

Edited by mickthemuppet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

Probably the best anybody can hope for is that they will not race again on a Wednesday night and will revert back to Saturday's All matches should revert back to their best nights When Speedway was successful in this country most matches took place at the weekend. I have always said the GP's has ruined Speedway in this country.

Helped to ruin our league and the mindset of the top riders imo, too much of a good thing. Taken money out of the sport and given nothing back... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

As a rye regular, I can confirm that the rumours have been circulating since the first home meeting of the season.

What rumours?

3 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Financial

Oh dear I fear for the clubs survival then, I hope there is a positive outcome if this is the situation hope also that all riders are paid up to date if they do fold.

Just now, Orbiter said:

Oh dear I fear for the clubs survival then, I hope there is a positive outcome if this is the situation hope also that all riders are paid up to date if they do fold.

If rye do have financial problems, I bet they are not alone.

6 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

If rye do have financial problems, I bet they are not alone.

Course not I don't know how any club is making a substantial profit

I was at the Rye v Wolves match. The crowd was awful if that was indicative of attendances then they must be struggling 

Course all this could be put to bed if they or someone made a statement to stop all the speculation.

1 minute ago, Orbiter said:

Course not I don't know how any club is making a substantial profit

Or any profit