British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stummings

Is Rye House the worst stadium in the Premiership?

4 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Providing you did not try to use the toilets! I never saw speedway at Long Eaton but it was an excellent stock car track. 

Used to provide great racing used to park around the edge of the track almost 

3 hours ago, Mafiarule said:

I recon Swindon far worse. Rye house best chips in league

We must not forget that the current stadium is redundant and will soon be replaced with the new, ultra-modern version in a seamless mid-season operation. We have seen the pictures so it cannot be fake news. Can it?

• Haha 1

I've known the place for 44 years now and almost all improvements made over those years have had to be demolished due to poor workmanship. Many of us despaired when we were thrown out of  Rayleigh and found ourselves at the slightly upgraded training track in 1974. 

There just haven't been enough clicks on the turnstiles to fund proper development plus the actual ',footprint ' of the place is too small to properly upgrade. It's place is in semi-pro weekend racing and always has been.

Oh yes, the bike dealership. Showroom open 7 days a week bringing in sales of high cost motor cycles or

a tea bar  open 25 days he a year  Think it through...

Edited by RobMcCaffery

For me it's a bit of a grass roots type of stadium. I find it ok TBH. 

I like that they do youth speedway races before meeting. That's great. 

The presentation was shocking though last Wednesday when we was there. Not really much happening between races. A few interviews here and there. And when we had a long sum delay there was only 1 or 2 interviews. Otherwise was very quiet and subdued but then alot of clubs are like that. They expect you to just pay for 15 heats of speedway. Nothing else. Well they need to learn that we want a night out. Not just 15 heats of racing 

I USED to love going to rye on a few Saturday nights in the summer circa 2010, it was pleasant, the first 2 bends were nice for viewing and the crowds were fine for div 2 speedway.

Bar the track improvements since, the rest of its been a complete disaster, the fixed race night has been the final nail in the coffin.

The new outfit have payed way over the odds for riders that are all going downhill form wise which is a crime, its a loss leader if you've a gd team and crowds are flocking in

• Like 1

I would imagine those that have never been to Rye House and saw it for the first time on the box had a real eye opener to the state of some of these stadiums.

2 hours ago, Orbiter said:

I would imagine those that have never been to Rye House and saw it for the first time on the box had a real eye opener to the state of some of these stadiums.

It was an emergency bolt hole for the trackless Rayleigh Rockets in 1974 and really not a lot has changed. It was there or oblivion.

There is no way it was ever inspected this season by the Health & Safety Executive as it could not have passed. Was it inspected and given a licence this year?

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It was an emergency bolt hole for the trackless Rayleigh Rockets in 1974 and really not a lot has changed. It was there or oblivion.

I guess anything is better than nothing but was there no improvements made, but then I suppose with no money it just led to decay further.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, waytogo28 said:

It certainly looks like the worst stadium, as seen on TV. I have not visited it since the change of promotion but the motocross course looks terrible unless it does bring in a new income stream/ fans. On TV the stadium it looks as if some awful natural disaster has recently taken place there. It reminds me of King's Lynn in the early 1980s before major work took place. 

From spectating   view of the racing IMO Kings Lynn is far worse. Despite dramatic cosmetic  improvements the view of the racing and indeed the atmosphere was much better in the Cyril Crane  Maury Littlechild  days

Edited by wealdstone

3 hours ago, Orbiter said:

I guess anything is better than nothing but was there no improvements made, but then I suppose with no money it just led to decay further.

"Improvements" we're made but most had to be taken down, for example the 1980s home straight scaffolding 'stands'. Len Silver widened the track by scrapping the dog track but more recent developments have appeared to be abortive. The main stand's access was questionable in 1974 and certainly hasn't improved since . I constantly had to read out safety warnings about people blocking stairways at the then lease holder's

insistence .

Every meeting would see their representative burst into the box shouting that the meeting was off unless people moved. All part of the delights of trying to help your team........

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

"Improvements" we're made but most had to be taken down, for example the 1980s home straight scaffolding 'stands'. Len Silver widened the track by scrapping the dog track but more recent developments have appeared to be abortive. The main stand's access was questionable in 1974 and certainly hasn't improved since . I constantly had to read out safety warnings about people blocking stairways at the then passenger's insistence .

Every meeting would see their representative burst into the box shouting that the meeting was off unless people moved. All part of the delights of trying to help your team........

Passenger?

On 6/27/2018 at 5:18 PM, cityrebel said:

Mildenhall is the king of fish & chips in British speedway!

Of that there is no doubt

Edited by Shadders

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

Of that there is no doubt

Hows life treating you in the frozen north shads.