British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

I O W v Brummies NL 28th June

Guest GiveusaB
2 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

Acid test for brum at arlington tomo night

Not really? losing at Eastbourne is no disgrace....it's a trick track imo and nobody expects to win there ?

Winning at BV last week was a bigger test in reality......

Both clashes with Mildenhall in the league, will be the 'real' test ! (imo...)

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

Not really? losing at Eastbourne is no disgrace....it's a trick track imo and nobody expects to win there ?

Winning at BV last week was a bigger test in reality......

Both clashes with Mildenhall in the league, will be the 'real' test ! (imo...)

The old "trick track" excuse wheeled out.

No more a trick track than Perry Bar.

• Confused 1

Guest GiveusaB
18 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

The old "trick track" excuse wheeled out.

No more a trick track than Perry Bar.

I agree 'trick' is the wrong choice of description......more of  a 'big' home advantage...(otherwise teams wouldn't get hammered there as much as they do ???)

As for Birmingham? it's one of the most fairest tracks in the country (imo), however, the surface has been poor and very inconsistent this season.

Edited by GiveusaB

Good early fight from IOW and they must be heartened by that against the visit of one of the leagues top two sides this year. Final hurrah for Flint at reserve but the Brum reserve headache has been coming for a while and as yet there has been no sniff of a new recruit. With development league racing at Perry Barr and the chance to run 2nd halves when these do not take place the chance to find another reserve was there. Could have even chucked Butcher & Cupitt out with them as i think there would have been several challengers who were keen to ride for Birmingham.

Im not sure that waiting for Gilkes is the right answer for the team or him as averages are awarded much earlier this year and with him likely to increase his it would make his prospects of a team place next season more difficult.

13 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I agree 'trick' is the wrong choice of description......more of  a 'big' home advantage...(otherwise teams wouldn't get hammered there as much as they do ???)

As for Birmingham? it's one of the most fairest tracks in the country (imo), however, the surface has been poor and very inconsistent this season.

Some teams get hammered, others don't. Buxton gave Eastbourne a real scare a few years back. In the EL, the Eagles didn't win every time and not often by a big score.

Guest GiveusaB

Will be interesting to see how Leon gets on there, if anything?

I think Bacon, Hume and Shanes will/should all do admirably !

I'll be impressed if we can reach the 40 point mark?

The acid test for a side is when a reserve scoring massive points goes into the main body. I thought mildy might win at eastbourne last week but they were soundly beaten, brums bottom end looks as weak as any from saturday so be interesting too see what happens

I wish people would stop "bigging up" Birmingham. It's a 3-men and a boy team that might sneak into the play-offs at the end of the year if they are lucky and as long as everyone stays fit (no guarantees there, going on the way that the season has started)

I suspect that Butcher and Cupitt will be in the team for a while yet, at least until other teams start juggling personnel about and there are other people's crumbs to pick up on. I doubt if any more debutantes will be tried out at Birmingham this year. 

On the subject of debutantes, how old are the Thompson Twins? Are they being lined up as 3-pointers for next year, or will they still be too young then?

Back on topic and just wanted say well done to the promoters and staff on the Island. You get a genuine welcome from their staff, friendly banter, tidy presentation and in Barry Bishop a man who puts his paying punters front and centre. Took time at the start of the meeting to give us a warm welcome,  explain their shale problem and possible dust problems. He is always visible and approachable and then kindly took some on to watch from the centre. They may not have the best team but they sure do Speedway proud.

• Like 3

After my visit last night really don’t know how long they can continue on them crowds, which is a shame as I also was made very welcome 

Guest GiveusaB
1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

I wish people would stop "bigging up" Birmingham. It's a 3-men and a boy team that might sneak into the play-offs at the end of the year if they are lucky and as long as everyone stays fit (no guarantees there, going on the way that the season has started)

I suspect that Butcher and Cupitt will be in the team for a while yet, at least until other teams start juggling personnel about and there are other people's crumbs to pick up on. I doubt if any more debutantes will be tried out at Birmingham this year. 

On the subject of debutantes, how old are the Thompson Twins? Are they being lined up as 3-pointers for next year, or will they still be too young then?

'Sneak'??? in to the play offs.....don't think there's anything about 'luck' with the top 4 riders that we have ???

We will be there on merit, barring any injuries. (imo)

I haven't got much confidence in the manager, tactically and with track preparation....but I hope he proves me wrong!?

Thompson twins will be ready next season....whether that's for Coventry/Birmingham, remains to be seen?

p.s the 'boy' you mentioned, rides/thinks/acts like a 'man' and is going to be the next biggest star of British Speedway !

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

'Sneak'??? in to the play offs.....don't think there's anything about 'luck' with the top 4 riders that we have ???

We will be there on merit, barring any injuries. (imo)

I haven't got much confidence in the manager, tactically and with track preparation....but I hope he proves me wrong!?

Thompson twins will be ready next season....whether that's for Coventry/Birmingham, remains to be seen?

p.s the 'boy' you mentioned, rides/thinks/acts like a 'man' and is going to be the next biggest star of British Speedway !

On Leon, yes 15 yrs of age, but riding better than most riders 5 years his senior. He has the ability to adapt to anything you put in front of him, his maturity abounds.OK I am biased, but the proof is in the pudding.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

On Leon, yes 15 yrs of age

Who's the Child Protection Officer that Birmingham are legally obliged to have for him, now that Denise Drury is no longer around?

You’d hope they have something in place with everything that happened recently with that supporter from Rye House...