British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
INCOGNITO

AGM MADE PUBLIC

To be honest. if it wasn't for the 1 over 8 rule then this years agm wasn't really that far out. Im anti 1 league because it means the talent that want to ride here are too diluted . its diluted now but further would really be a shame. I would limit double ups to 2 per team max. and weaken the 2nd league. if the Championship teams don't like that then put up or step up! the dropping pf the draft in the 2nd tier was a poor move.

with the fixed race nights last year we let the tail wag the dog a bit. but still what did come out was progress. 

its not all as bad as it seems. its just getting people off their arses into stadiums. but thats a modern day problem with a lot of activities. not just speedway. I've been entertained this season at lynn. crowds are pretty consistent too and thats even when it ran against the england football. 

your never going to get big crowds weekly though. time has moved on. big events will attract. but weekly domestic won't change unless its something for nothing pricing

• Like 1

Excellent post fr0m INCOGNITO and maybe he should email it to the BSPA office (address on SGB site) so that at least the idea is logged internally should they be willing to listen to any outside influences not just their own interests.

I don't agree with every point in the post but a lot I do and it provides ideas and food for thought. I think £15 per adult under 65 is well worth a fix of Speedway and we have to remember that we do have quite an advanced aged hard core of support who come under concessions for over 65 anyway who would get a (to be agreed) discount. Maybe reduce the programme price a bit so that people can decide if they want one or not.

I don't think we should totally alienate clubs who want to sign the odd class rider as that should be reflected in the team points total. Personally I would go above 35 BUT maybe allow up to 2 N/L riders per team each on 2 points av per rider for say those 21 or under. Again just knocking ideas around.

For me and as aired I think on the Rye Forum, we need to get a mix of (and taking Lakeside as an example) Good experience  (Like Morris and Lawson) - good young riders (Like Ellis) - av middle order riders (Like Newman and Morley)- young up and coming riders like Zach W and young up and coming N/L riders like Bowtell who is improving as a result of more meetings over Champ and N/L.

Do NOT allow any club to sign ANY rider until the BSPA agree on a league format - team points limit - guidelines for what young N/L rider will get as an av and how many per team - and importantly on race nights agreed by ALL Clubs that suits them and not the rest of Europe. If that means many of these so called top guys and POLES/Swedes/Danes etc don't want to come back, and even some Aussies if they prefer not to, then so be it. I think you will find that at least some would still prefer to ride here if not all but that is for the teams/promotions of each side to agree based on the BSPA guidelines on team points limits and what each team can afford. Remember too strong at the top means 2 N/L riders at the bottom. We all know how weak reserves can bite you on the backside even if some form of grading is introduced to partly protect some of their rides (which I would also introduce).

I think we have to get away from each team being equal. In these days of modern sports. There will always be some teams stronger than others and for example take the team local to me (25 mins drive) at Lakeside. If I had the chance to say see Poole ride there with the odd decent rider like say Woryna or Kurtz or even Holder (Jack or Chris) then I would welcome it as also a chance to partly level out the Lakeside home track advantage. By the way I say the odd decent rider not all 4 of them in the same team necessarily ;)

Again we can debate it forever but plenty of sensible ideas already and a good and well thought out post to kick off the discussion.

9 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

To be honest. if it wasn't for the 1 over 8 rule then this years agm wasn't really that far out. Im anti 1 league because it means the talent that want to ride here are too diluted . its diluted now but further would really be a shame. I would limit double ups to 2 per team max. and weaken the 2nd league. if the Championship teams don't like that then put up or step up! the dropping pf the draft in the 2nd tier was a poor move.

with the fixed race nights last year we let the tail wag the dog a bit. but still what did come out was progress. 

its not all as bad as it seems. its just getting people off their arses into stadiums. but thats a modern day problem with a lot of activities. not just speedway. I've been entertained this season at lynn. crowds are pretty consistent too and thats even when it ran against the england football. 

your never going to get big crowds weekly though. time has moved on. big events will attract. but weekly domestic won't change unless its something for nothing pricing

Fixed race nights last year? Have you missed out a comma .

2 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

I dont like your idea of building to a 35 limit, you are way off there. Who the hell you going to get. 7 juniors ?

I don't agree with  35 points either (see my latest post). However INGOGNITO's post is well thought out and provides plenty of sensible content.

I am sure Speedway in one big league could live with a higher than 35 limit if they also introduce say N/L under 21's at 2 points per rider and say up to 2 per team but at least one per side as a minimum.

Let the sides themselves then decide if they want to go top heavy on points or maybe strength in depth like say Lakeside have this season. Individual clubs personal finances would dictate what they can and cant afford but let's not kill the entertainment value totally but at the same time make the sport more financially viable for the majority and not the odd minority.

A 35 point limit for 1 big league would be too high

Thats the equivalent of 45.5 at this years Championship level conversions

If the 'big boys' were being left out and 15-20 NL riders brought in then it would need to be 30ish Premiership equivalent 39 current Champinship

The reality is that the ideal scenario is two leagues:

The top division being a mix of this years Premiership sides being joined by the top Championship teams like Sheffield, Ipswich, Edinburgh, Glasgow etc. Pretty much at Premiership standard.

The second division being a mix of the bottom lower budgeted Championship sides like Redcar, Berwick etc. And then the National League teams too.

6 minutes ago, Najjer said:

The top division being a mix of this years Premiership sides being joined by the top Championship teams like Sheffield, Ipswich, Edinburgh, Glasgow etc. Pretty much at Premiership standard.

The second division being a mix of the bottom lower budgeted Championship sides like Redcar, Berwick etc. And then the National League teams too.

I suppose if you also do away with Prem/Champ double ups then this years potential League winners i.e Lakeside would be well and truly butchered for 2019 considering the likes of Morris/Lawson/Ellis/Zach W and even Newman possibly.

I know any restructuring would have some winners and losers but man that would be brutal if they won the Champ this season which a distinct possibility with their big home advantage and decent riders this season. They could be left with Morley and Alfie Bowtell. 

Certainly any restructuring would not be an easy fix to plan.

4 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

How can you build teams to a 35 average, it's not workable. Simple maths will tell you that if you build a team to 35, at the end of the first season most teams averages will add up to around 40 - 45

35 is an estimated limit and I have put down teams to see if they can be fitted in with riders with new riders coming in from abroad and plenty of NL drafts. It may seem to week for some but you have to realise we have been running at a level the sport can't afford for too long already.

we are now at a stage that we can't afford overall the riders we have at number one in some teams. It needs to be all clubs working together so Redcar or Workington can compete at a level with Belle Vue or Poole. 

Aces he's for example could have a team along the lines of Cook 8.2, Worrall 6.6, Bewley 6.3, Drzodz 5.5, Etheridge 4.3,  Smith 2.00 and a 2.00 draft. That is a team that could compete against the current Redcar team which would be at the same level, just maybe a bit more balanced

We all want to see bigger names here but we need variety and need weekly action at a level that is affordable while also giving British riders a better chance of progressing. 

4 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I don't agree with  35 points either (see my latest post). However INGOGNITO's post is well thought out and provides plenty of sensible content.

I am sure Speedway in one big league could live with a higher than 35 limit if they also introduce say N/L under 21's at 2 points per rider and say up to 2 per team but at least one per side as a minimum.

Let the sides themselves then decide if they want to go top heavy on points or maybe strength in depth like say Lakeside have this season. Individual clubs personal finances would dictate what they can and cant afford but let's not kill the entertainment value totally but at the same time make the sport more financially viable for the majority and not the odd minority.

Yep if there is enough to go round then yes every team should take a 2 pointer N/L development rider. But i still say build to a maximum of 42 then, its down to the clubs how they want to build, but you are going to have to have a ruling on how many riders over a certain average to make it a reliativly level playing field. But people will still moan when Matt finds a rider who can improve a ton foreign or English..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Sad 1

Most fans seemed to be happy with the outcome of this years AGM, fixed race nights meaning full 1-7 for all teams with no fixture clashes .A TV deal in place on "the home of bikes" BT sport and an end to the much hated double points, wasn't that supposed to bring the fans back ? What's gone wrong ? 

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

Can't see many Championship Teams paying out money to ride and compete  Premiership standard,think that is a major issue regarding 2 leagues .Some of these Teams will be struggling to break even on crowds they are getting.

1 hour ago, New Science said:

Most fans seemed to be happy with the outcome of this years AGM, fixed race nights meaning full 1-7 for all teams with no fixture clashes .A TV deal in place on "the home of bikes" BT sport and an end to the much hated double points, wasn't that supposed to bring the fans back ? What's gone wrong ? 

Everything by the looks of it.

2 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Yep if there is enough to go round then yes every team should take a 2 pointer N/L development rider. But i still say build to a maximum of 42 then, its down to the clubs how they want to build, but you are going to have to have a ruling on how many riders over a certain average to make it a reliativly level playing field. But people will still moan when Matt finds a rider who can improve a ton foreign or English..

this isn't about Poole, think of the bigger picture