British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
INCOGNITO

AGM MADE PUBLIC

20 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Can't see many Championship Teams paying out money to ride and compete  Premiership standard,think that is a major issue regarding 2 leagues .Some of these Teams will be struggling to break even on crowds they are getting.

Pits at Championship level hence the 35 limit which isn't far off what most Championship clubs are at now

8 hours ago, New Science said:

Most fans seemed to be happy with the outcome of this years AGM, fixed race nights meaning full 1-7 for all teams with no fixture clashes .A TV deal in place on "the home of bikes" BT sport and an end to the much hated double points, wasn't that supposed to bring the fans back ? What's gone wrong ? 

Unless you are posting rather "tongue in cheek"? The FRN was poorly thought through ( or did the Premiership teams capitulate on which nights they could use? Were they outvoted? ) by promoters and fans if they believed all clubs could pull in a "decent" crowd on a different night - especially on a Monday, because the sport was so enticing and irresistible.   There are no other nights available after taking in Poland, Sweden, Denmark  and the FIM events, so it seems like it was a calculated gamble by the BPSA. And one that went so very wrong. I think we will just about get what the punters want and will "buy", when we give up using those riders in demand elsewhere IF there is still an appetite for speedway racing in the UK.

I don't want to diss other opinions but those of you who can do the simple maths work out how many riders are realistically going to be available, the number of teams likely to be in one league and divide one into the other and that will tell you how many riders can be in a TEAM. Unless you are going to run 5 heat leaders then the points limit will be nearer 30, you are possibly making  the assumption that 7 man teams are to stay, if they are then a lot of clubs will have to close. Even if you sweep all the riders from 3 leagues into one what will you be watching? If you do that the top riders will have a field day consuming more money per point and in effect the average cost per point could increase so that knackers the reduced admission ideas.

Whatever the real solution is too many clubs are in too deep to take a gamble on any suggestions that are not within their scope of opportunity. I like the ideas of weekend racing alternate weeks, let those that wish f.. off to Poland and rebuild the sport around weekend CLUB racing, simplify the rules and work with what we've got not what we want.

The reality of one league is fewer teams and fewer riders in each team, oh and a much lower points limit/standard.

While I agree to some extent what decent rider is going to race for those amounts let’s say I average 4 starts and get 10 points per meeting that’s £700.00 and I race 26 meetings a season and I keep up that average I get paid £18,200  . I have my transport costs , mechanic repairs food etc , sorry I would be lucky to clear 8k it’s not feasible.

now if I am injured we’ll watch the figures plummet.

speedway needs an overhaul totally agree it’s needs as I have said before an all party summit will it happen no 

41 minutes ago, Mediman said:

While I agree to some extent what decent rider is going to race for those amounts let’s say I average 4 starts and get 10 points per meeting that’s £700.00 and I race 26 meetings a season and I keep up that average I get paid £18,200  . I have my transport costs , mechanic repairs food etc , sorry I would be lucky to clear 8k it’s not feasible.

speedway needs an overhaul totally agree it’s needs as I have said before an all party summit will it happen no 

9-5 job is the answer.Speedway is not the answer if that is the case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Unless you are posting rather "tongue in cheek"? The FRN was poorly thought through ( or did the Premiership teams capitulate on which nights they could use? Were they outvoted? ) by promoters and fans if they believed all clubs could pull in a "decent" crowd on a different night - especially on a Monday, because the sport was so enticing and irresistible.   There are no other nights available after taking in Poland, Sweden, Denmark  and the FIM events, so it seems like it was a calculated gamble by the BPSA. And one that went so very wrong. I think we will just about get what the punters want and will "buy", when we give up using those riders in demand elsewhere IF there is still an appetite for speedway racing in the UK.

So the way forward is for all Premiership clubs to run on the night of their choice and go back to the fiasco of teams made up of guests / RR due to fixture clashes / World Championship commitments like we had last year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, New Science said:

So the way forward is for all Premiership clubs to run on the night of their choice and go back to the fiasco of teams made up of guests / RR due to fixture clashes / World Championship commitments like we had last year. 

Obviously, that is far from ideal but it seems fans at at least some of the teams who had to change their race night attend in bigger numbers on the traditional race night, even with guests and r/r, than they do on the fixed night. It's all about survival and that will depend on the BSPA doing whatever is necessary to get the most people through the turnstiles.

Maybe the way forward is more educated fixture planning and a phasing out of doubling up over a set period of time, other than for youngsters using it as a transition to move up permanently to the PL.

6 hours ago, Mediman said:

get a job, p/t if necessary, use half days, whatever. Do your own engines, get a bike rack for the car. The money isn't there to give them a living and we need to wake up to that pronto!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

get a job, p/t if necessary, use half days, whatever. Do your own engines, get a bike rack for the car. The money isn't there to give them a living and we need to wake up to that pronto!

Get real. All it will end up doing is forcing riders out of Britain to ride abroad or just retire.

• Like 1

I am real-when i started watching thats exactly what happened.

The people who need to get real are those taking money out of the sport that isn't there. I wish it was and i wish they could.

looking at your profile that was yonks before you were born

Edited by ch958
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, New Science said:

Unfortunately - "going back" is not an option for UK speedway. The shape of racing in the future here is going to be an entirely new one IF there is a future for it.

With the example pay rates of £50 a start and £50 a point you will get the riders you can afford. Number ones will most likely be riders like Steve Worrall, Jason Garrity etc and they would be around £250 start and £600 points money which won't be too far off what they are getting now.

They will have 36-40 league matches, plus cup matches so going on 40 meetings would be around £34,000 a year. Yes there is expenses which is why riders try and gain sponsors and being a number one they stand a better chance of improving current deals. Let's not forget that the riders at reserve will mainly be NL riders who will be picking up £400 if they score four from four which is more than they do in the NL.

Its also a lot more than most people pick up each week in 40 hours work and they could get that in one night and getting just third places. These are the riders that the sport can afford and will also make it more affordable for fans new and old. 

Also I think that the issue of the home track paying all wages would be of benefit these days. They have had the income and riders can be paid straight away. At present a club like Berwick could have four away meetings in a row. What money are they going to use to pay their riders which has been a problem for a few tracks in recent times. 

Its all all about talking and addressing issues and hopefully the BSPA will adopt this even if it's for guidance or ideas but certainly they need to listen to the fans that are left and to each other and work together. 

• Like 1

Why on Earth anyone thinks that the best way forward for British speedway is to make it a sport less people want to watch is beyond me.

Surely the way forward is to get it out there and modernise presentation to make it a sport that people are happy to pay to watch.

Speedway's real current problems began with the weakening of teams and the lowering of standards. Everyntime they do it, more fans disappear.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Grachan said:

2hy on Earth anyone thinks that the best way forward forvBritish speedway is to make it a sport less people want to watch is beyond me.

Surely the way forward is to get it out there and modernise presentation to make it a sport that people are happy to pay to watch.

Speedway's real current problems began with the weakening of teams and the lowering of standards. Everyntime they domit, more fans disappear.

Sadly as you can see on this topic and many others speedway fans think the way forward is get less people to watch it ...it really is an amazing mind set .

• Like 3