British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenga

apology to workington speedway .

A lot of sports forums are treated with contempt by the powers that be. They are happy to take our money, but we are not allowed to have a voice.

• Like 4

In this situation impartiality is almost impossible, we have the version of events posted above to consider how we react. This is a bold step by Jenga to retract and make good the possible damage inadvertently caused. Inadvertently because he clearly loves Speedway and the Comets in particular to the point where he is prepared to capitulate. Jenga should be applauded, well done.

My real point is this, I believe both parties should be cut a fair bit of slack over this. A confrontation that has been bubbling since the start of the season that possibly could have been headed off at the pass along the way. This is what happens when frustration has to be expressed, it's emotional and at times impulsive.

Did Jenga intend to offend? Of course not. Did Steve intend to cause a backlash and own goal? Of course not. The desired outcome ought to be both parties calming down and agreeing a way forward that includes a line of communication other than on a public forum.

I have read the concerning comments from Broc Nicol's family in the States concerning his signing for Sheffield, they are pleading with fans to give him a chance after so many negative remarks from people who have never met the kid. All of those posters did not intend to hurt Broc's family back home they were just expressing their opinions and concern for their club's ability to succeed. This is just another example of unintended consequences from relatively negative posts, we are all human and most more sensitive than we let on. Peter Mole has publicly criticised those keyboard warriors and he won't be the last.

The Workington promotion are under immense pressure from the performance of the business to the needless politic -ing within the BSPA. All three Promoters have made tremendous personal sacrifices to the detriment of their lifestyles and families to keep the club going and at times there has been no end to the personal criticism they have faced so inevitably their tolerance thresholds are low. They too should be applauded, again well done.

Is it all worth it? Put yourselves in their shoes and find out

Edited by Byker Biker
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

In this situation impartiality is almost impossible, we have the version of events posted above to consider how we react. This is a bold step by Jenga to retract and make good the possible damage inadvertently caused. Inadvertently because he clearly loves Speedway and the Comets in particular to the point where he is prepared to capitulate. Jenga should be applauded, well done.

My real point is this, I believe both parties should be cut a fair bit of slack over this. A confrontation that has been bubbling since the start of the season that possibly could have been headed off at the pass along the way. This is what happens when frustration has to be expressed, it's emotional and at times impulsive.

Did Jenga intend to offend? Of course not. Did Steve intend to cause a backlash and own goal? Of course not. The desired outcome ought to be both parties calming down and agreeing a way forward that includes a line of communication other than on a public forum.

I have read the concerning comments from Broc Nicol's family in the States concerning his signing for Sheffield, they are pleading with fans to give him a chance after so many negative remarks from people who have never met the kid. All of those posters did not intend to hurt Broc's family back home they were just expressing their opinions and concern for their club's ability to succeed. This is just another example of unintended consequences from relatively negative posts, we are all human and most more sensitive than we let on. Peter Mole has publicly criticised those keyboard warriors and he won't be the last.

The Workington promotion are under immense pressure from the performance of the business to the needless politic -ing within the BSPA. All three Promoters have made tremendous personal sacrifices to the detriment of their lifestyles and families to keep the club going and at times there has been no end to the personal criticism they have faced so inevitably their tolerance thresholds are low. They too should be applauded, again well done.

Well said and well said Jenga 

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

The promotion then insisted that he apologise and he did so, out of fear that he would not be able to attend again. 

Should this fate befall me at King's Lynn Speedway, it will only prove the point that all Dictators "win" by intimidation and suppression of thought and opinion from paying customers. I will walk away proudly. Never fear such people or what you might think they hold over you.

While the promotion probably shouldn't have taken the steps that it did, if you are a pillock on a public forum on a daily basis you are eventually going to get some kind of comeback.

• Like 5

Seems strange that a company doing all they can to get customers through the would ban one for posting an opinion on a forum. Yes Jenga posts nonsense but deserving of a ban, I think not. Maybe the Workington promotion would do well to leave this forum alone if they aren`t happy with what is being posted. 

• Like 2

Think people within the sport need to learn to either not go on forums or bit there tongues if they do. I had to learn as I used to reply to any comments about Ashley Morris (stepson) but learnt to not reply or not go on all the time. Think I ve been on here dozen times this year. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 771neil said:

Think people within the sport need to learn to either not go on forums or bit there tongues if they do. I had to learn as I used to reply to any comments about Ashley Morris (stepson) but learnt to not reply or not go on all the time. Think I ve been on here dozen times this year. 

Thats good advice if your easily offended by what others say, also you get the ones that put stuff on just to wind folk up ;)

A hope a don't come across anyone having a pop at Ash :nono:

Some things are best ignored.

Edited by ruffdiamond

4 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

petha,In this situation impartiality is almost impossible, we have the version of events posted above to consider how we react. This is a bold step by Jenga to retract and make good the possible damage inadvertently caused. Inadvertently because he clearly loves Speedway and the Comets in particular to the point where he is prepared to capitulate. Jenga should be applauded, well done.

Perhaps I should first say that I am a huge fan of Workington Speedway. 

To me, though, its a question of how you respond and, in this case, I think it has been unnecessarily heavy handed. Surely a chat and a warning would have been more appropriate if the comments were considered to be unreasonable ? 

It is easy for me to say but  you just cannot allow the pressure that you are under to affect how you treat your paying customers. You can't do everything for them and its a case of sorting the wheat from the chaff, but I don't think that the consequences of how you reply can be underestimated - be that for good or bad. 

I have stated the following example many times and apologise for doing so again, but it sums up my position in a nutshell and it is based upon personal experience. 

I went to one track, saw an awful meeting on a dreadful, ridiculously dusty track (the meeting itself was eventually abandoned) and took to this forum to state my opinion in no uncertain terms. As a paying customer I believe I am entitled to do that. A co-promoter at that track sought me out and gave me 15 minutes of aggressive abuse. 

I went to another, Isle of Wight. Same dusty track, same response from me. I then got a truly remarkable - for speedway - reply from their promoter, Barry Bishop. It was :

'We're sorry about the dust,. We are new and learning and we will try to make sure it doesn't happen again. We really hope you come back and see us again and, if you do, we'll take you on a pits tour and the centre green'. 

It perhaps says a lot that I couldn't believe my eyes. 

Same problem, same criticism, entirely different responses. One track I have not been back to since, the other has become a huge favourite for whom I bang the drum on every occasion.  

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Should this fate befall me at King's Lynn Speedway, it will only prove the point that all Dictators "win" by intimidation and suppression of thought and opinion from paying customers. I will walk away proudly. Never fear such people or what you might think they hold over you.

The thing was the young man in question absolutely loved his team and his speedway. He had some very good friends that he saw every week, so it wasn't even just about the racing.

Understandably, he really did not want to get banned. 

He was treated disgracefully, both by the clown that had a go at him in the first place and the promotion (to be fair, one of the co-promoters dealt with the matter to the satisfaction of all concerned in the end). 

1 hour ago, 771neil said:

I think they should engage with fans at every opportunity. They have to be careful what they say, but simply ignoring comment or responding angrily just isn't on and will rebound on them. 

Interestingly I was putting this view to Laura Morgan at Workington last weekend :o

Edited by Halifaxtiger

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

The thing was the young man in question absolutely loved his team and his speedway. He had some very good friends that he saw every week, so it wasn't even just about the racing.

Understandably, he really did not want to get banned. 

He was treated disgracefully, both by the clown that had a go at him in the first place and the promotion (to be fair, one of the co-promoters dealt with the matter to the satisfaction of all concerned in the end). 

I think they should engage with fans at every opportunity. They have to be careful what they say, but simply ignoring comment or responding angrily just isn't on and will rebound on them. 

Interestingly I was putting this view to Laura Morgan at Workington last weekend :o

The difficulty HT, is how much a promoter puts up with before things have to be said or they quite. I have read with amazement at some comments on here and think some are well over the top and critical of people who don't have to put up with it. Why should someone who is personally putting money into the sport, losing money hand over fist for a number of years, now have to put up with comments about 'back pocket money'. It's quite insulting really and coming from a person who's family is, I believe, a long standing family with Worky ties. 

Yes, promotions and administers of businesses have to bite their tongue at times, but there is a limit and, as you know, I would not put up with it  and haven't. Comments yes please, but hurtful and possibly untrue accusations are just not on, especially from a vowed fan of Worky Speedway.   

I agree with what you say Tsunami and some comments on here do get a bit personal at times , however there are better ways of dealing with these issues than what appears to have happened in this case. Of course we are not party to all the facts, but on the face of it a threat of a ban was perhaps was/is a little heavy handed. As Mr Whitehead obviously knows Jenga's identity perhaps a one to one conversation explaining his side of things would have been a better option. All very well in hindsight though, and obviously this season will be proving particularly stressful to those promoting the Comets this year.

Hopefully things can be sorted and this will be the end of the matter.

11 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The difficulty HT, is how much a promoter puts up with before things have to be said or they quite. I have read with amazement at some comments on here and think some are well over the top and critical of people who don't have to put up with it. Why should someone who is personally putting money into the sport, losing money hand over fist for a number of years, now have to put up with comments about 'back pocket money'. It's quite insulting really and coming from a person who's family is, I believe, a long standing family with Worky ties. 

Yes, promotions and administers of businesses have to bite their tongue at times, but there is a limit and, as you know, I would not put up with it  and haven't. Comments yes please, but hurtful and possibly untrue accusations are just not on, especially from a vowed fan of Worky Speedway.   

I have said before that scurrilous, vicious and unfounded allegations cannot and should not be made but, you're right, on occasion they most certainly are. Further, you are also right about the fact that no-one shouldn't have to put up with such remarks - I think I have said in the past that criticism should be tempered by the knowledge that speedway tracks are loss making and continual and unjustifiable attacks could result in closure.

Having said that, that doesn't justify replies couched in the same language or draconian actions against a paying customer.  I would maintain that a public response to any form of criticism (however nasty, spiteful or untrue) can be put in terms that are reasonable to most people and, if they are, they reflect favourably on the promotion concerned. 

The simple truth in my experience  is that far too often fans are either ignored or treated with contempt and even abuse  - I have named two instances on here and could easily state several more.  That's not good enough and, indeed, it is one of the sport's worst failings.

19 hours ago, jenga said:

this is an apology to mr Steve Whitehead , co promoter of workington speedway .

on the 23rd of June i went to attend my usual Saturday sport @ workington . i paid my entrance fee and as i was going through the checkpoint i was stopped and by stewards and then mr Whitehead came over with Laura and took my ticket off me and gave me my money back . he then told me i was banned from workington speedway and handed me a hand written letter . 

after a conversation..  mr Whitehead and i came to an agreement and i was able to gain entry to the stadium . mr Whitehead was upset about some of the posts i had put on the B.S.F...  reading back on them , some were a little bit naughty .

i can only say sorry for any disruption in the promotions households that  i have caused . i am a fan of long standing and have always supported my local team. 

i hope the promotion will continue to let me into Derwent Park in the future . i dont/cant do the cut/past or links . .

i am hoping that the promotion can let me know if i will be allowed in for the remainder of this seasons meetins . a P.M or a post will do .

i will go back onto the lakeside v workington and quote my posts from that thread .  as these posts seem to be the ones that broke the camels back .

once again i can say only sorry for any disruption i have caused .    

thanking you...  Jenga .                 

Hope you stop posting crap on Panthers threads now, and realise you are offensive and annoying. And you still aren't funny, even though you obviously think you are.

• Like 3