British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

Leicester Lions v Wolverhampton Wolves, 2 July 18

1 hour ago, iainb said:

The rider parade at Leicester really does sum the sport up... it's a complete shambles! It's a pity riders don't show this much enthusiasm to get on with it all the time. They're pushing off before the final riders have been read out, which is rude at best and shambolic at worst. What was Charles Wright up to during the parade, went to push off, realised the parade wasn't over and stopped and then just stayed there in the middle of the track while the parade continued. Then there were 5 or 6 burly men stood across the track to stop the riders pushing off before the parade was finished, about as much use as a chocolate teapot as they all just shrugged their shoulders as the riders just barged through them.

Then Dave Darcy comes onto the PA to have a snide go at some of the fans! Unbelievable what other sport would you get this in? If he's got an issue with some of the people posting on forums, come on to the forum to address it, don't wash your dirty laundry in public.

The guy from Sheffield seems to be doing the track now, it's turning into a bit of a Sheffield lite at Leicester these days. Again there were dust issues this week but at least there was some watering during the meeting this week, although what the point was of watering the track in areas that nobody has ever been to is beyond me but that seems to be something that has always happened in this country... all the riders riding around the inside creating clouds of dust... so we'll just water the very outside of the track. You just don't see this in Poland, they just flood the track, all of it and the riders have to deal with it and the punters don't go home covered in dust.

When the dust got too much I moved from my spot on the first bend up to bends 3 and 4 and what struck me was how little of the track is used. It seems if you enter bend 3 more than 2 meters from the line the likelihood is you're going to come off or get into extreme difficulty.

Anyway it was a nice evening weather wise, the match was run at a lightning pace, until the sun delay, I wonder if they were trying to get it done and dusted before the sun issues? It wasn't a massive delay like it has been in the past, so thumbs up there. There were 2 or 3 good races but at least the scoreline kept it interesting, Lions seemed home and dry mid-meeting then Wolves put on a stellar fight back. Ricky Wells has certainly set himself a high benchmark for the rest of the season, Kenneth Bjerre's form as a No1 is still a worry though, I don't know why HA isn't riding No1?

....because his average is lower than Kenny's!!!

13 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

....because his average is lower than Kenny's!!!

Does the highest average have to ride at No1 then?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

Does the highest average have to ride at No1 then?

Yes he does.

Just now, Fromafar said:

Yes he does.

Is that a new rule then? What's the point in that? The managers are working in a straight jacket enough as it is without silliness like this

And by the way it's going that could be Ricky Wells by August. Unless he's only on a 28-day arrangement of course!

1 minute ago, Hamish McRaker said:

And by the way it's going that could be Ricky Wells by August. Unless he's only on a 28-day arrangement of course!

Stop talking about the team!

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Stop talking about the team!

Oops

"........................although what the point was of watering the track in areas that nobody has ever been to is beyond me but that seems to be something that has always happened in this country... all the riders riding around the inside creating clouds of dust... so we'll just water the very outside of the track."

You cannot water on a slick inside line as it would become greasy & more difficult for the riders. Watering the outside where the dirt is or has been graded tends to keep it together & causes less dust if the riders went there. It is the shape of your track that leads to where the best lines are.

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

"........................although what the point was of watering the track in areas that nobody has ever been to is beyond me but that seems to be something that has always happened in this country... all the riders riding around the inside creating clouds of dust... so we'll just water the very outside of the track."

You cannot water on a slick inside line as it would become greasy & more difficult for the riders. Watering the outside where the dirt is or has been graded tends to keep it together & causes less dust if the riders went there. It is the shape of your track that leads to where the best lines are.

So bring dirt back to the inside and water it??

3 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

That's funny you should say that because I have watched countless meetings in foreign countries where they just water the whole of the track inside and out, yes it's tricky for a race or two but that's down to the rider to handle. It's only in this country that the watering of the inside line doesn't happen... I wonder if you could equate people going home covered in dust to a lack of attendances?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

Is that a new rule then? What's the point in that? The managers are working in a straight jacket enough as it is without silliness like this

Don't think it's that new,the manager can put the other Team members in any position2-5 the reserves to be the 2 lowest AV at 6-7.

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Don't think it's that new,the manager can put the other Team members in any position2-5 the reserves to be the 2 lowest AV at 6-7.

it's a new one to me... admittedly I don't follow the rules as closely as I once did... still can't see the point of it though

but the inside is where most of your riders race & becomes smooth with the blue groove. Bricking the dirt back to the inside & water it just hides the issue.

1 minute ago, IronScorpion said:

but the inside is where most of your riders race & becomes smooth with the blue groove. Bricking the dirt back to the inside & water it just hides the issue.

maybe not if you water it early enough

As has been posted on another thread on track prep, it is about getting water into the track early to soak in then keep it sprayed throughout the meeting. Graham did an awesome job on Thursday to grade & water to keep the dust down at Sheffield. He can only work with the tools that he has got & the time restraints.