British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Next season. Cancel BT deal and take broadcasting inhouse.

The deal that the BSPA have with BT is not worth it. A few promoters argued this at the time and I was one who thought it was imperative that speedway in the UK had a tv deal. Now I have changed my mind and believe BSPA should pull out of the deal and get a streaming channel up and running for next season. 

The BT deal brings in no money. In fact it costs clubs as the hosting club loses revenue when BT are in town. Unless BT come in with a deal similar to what Sky were paying, then time to say goodbye.

In its place, a monthly subscription to a streaming service. £20 a month for 2 live meetings a week, one from the Prem and one from the Championship, as well as behind the scenes shows, interviews, q&a sessions live where fans can ask questions to riders/promoters etc, which are being produced by companies such as speedway portal. The money is then divided up between clubs. This will bring in far more than BT are offering. 

Promoters may think they would lose money as fans would watch online and not attend. But I wouldn't’ attend Belle Vue v Swindon but would pay a subscription to watch it. And then clubs would benefit.

There would be no problem having video companies do the streaming. I bet Pete Ballinger or Speedway Portal would be keen as mustard to get the chance.

Thoughts?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The deal that the BSPA have with BT is not worth it. A few promoters argued this at the time and I was one who thought it was imperative that speedway in the UK had a tv deal. Now I have changed my mind and believe BSPA should pull out of the deal and get a streaming channel up and running for next season. 

The BT deal brings in no money. In fact it costs clubs as the hosting club loses revenue when BT are in town. Unless BT come in with a deal similar to what Sky were paying, then time to say goodbye.

In its place, a monthly subscription to a streaming service. £20 a month for 2 live meetings a week, one from the Prem and one from the Championship, as well as behind the scenes shows, interviews, q&a sessions live where fans can ask questions to riders/promoters etc, which are being produced by companies such as speedway portal. The money is then divided up between clubs. This will bring in far more than BT are offering. 

Promoters may think they would lose money as fans would watch online and not attend. But I wouldn't’ attend Belle Vue v Swindon but would pay a subscription to watch it. And then clubs would benefit.

There would be no problem having video companies do the streaming. I bet Pete Ballinger or Speedway Portal would be keen as mustard to get the chance.

Thoughts?

Too expensive - i only pay £13 a month for 4 Swedish Elite matches a week with full Swedish commentary.

Fair enough the price I gave was just an opinion.  Didn’t think £2.50 a meeting was too expensive.

Pay per view will make the sport even smaller and insignificant.

• Like 4

I wouldn’t have BT sport if it weren’t for speedway and I’d happily pay £10 a month for a dedicated speedway channel that our clubs benefit from. Good idea.

• Like 1

TV is a must to keep in with current sports and of course give it maximum exposure especially for sponsors.

• Like 2

I think there would be less money coming in from this as most speedway fans are the older generation and what speedway need is the younger ones who are not going to pay £20 a month

• Like 1

I think Clean Cut sports, who do the DVD's for Belle Vue amongst others already do live streaming of Ice Hockey I think, I may be wrong on the sport but they do live stream so they have the technology. I pay for BT sport just for the speedway so I would definitely subscribe.

Trouble is Speedway comes across on TV like a big pile of steaming horse rubbish, to many tape recalls and strung out meetings, take the last Leicester meeting on the box no one new what they were doing and looked so amateur, but my point of it remaining on mainstream TV is in the event someone flicks through the channels and thinks oh whats this and enjoys it for some reason they may think along the lines as oh we have a local track lets go down one evening etc.

If what Steve is suggesting was to happen no one would know about it or see it on the off chance,  except for the current crop of fans etc, although I take my hats of to Steve for trying to think of new avenues but for me its a non starter.

Guest GiveusaB

Before the perfect TV package/promotion, is put in place, we need to rid the sport of the dinosaurs at the helm of the BSPA........imo !

I'd be happy to pay for a streaming show.

Crowds aren't going up so the TV deal isn't working.

Edited by KevtheRev
Add info
  • Like 2

Why should we continue to line the pockets of Terry Russell

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Orbiter said:

TV is a must to keep in with current sports and of course give it maximum exposure especially for sponsors.

Can’t see that the current BT deal brings much for sponsors with only say 12 meetings, but a dedicated channel with 40 might!

I will be amazed if there is anybody or anything that can save our sport imo

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, KevtheRev said:

Why should we continue to line the pockets of Terry Russell

TERRY has nothing to do with any more. 

Does any one have an idea about the production costs?

• Like 1