British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Next season. Cancel BT deal and take broadcasting inhouse.

49 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

But so what? BT are the ones to benefit, not speedway. They have a unique product, and they can sell advertising. By all accounts viewing figures are favourable. So a win for them.

What does speedway get out of it? Lower gates at the televised meeting. Time for speedway to take control of their product and make some money through streaming. Other sports do it alreading including ice hockey. If it works for them there’s no reason why it can’t bring money into uk clubs.

WOULD get a lot more if clubs actually worked at it. Do special ad deals for a TV night, put signage up. Production guys would happily comply to ensure maximum coverage.

• Like 1

I am in favour of BT and greatly enjoy their broadcasts BUT the Rye House meeting was a very poor advert for "speedway racing near you" and the Wolverhampton one was nearly as bad. However you advertise it, the product it is not much cop ( UK league racing ) and that reflected in the very poor attendances in the stadium. Had it said "Get a taste of speedway for only £10 next week at Rye House" I believe it would have drawn a much better crowd. Even if they were disappointed on the night!

I am also a fan of broadcast speedway. I like the coverage on BT as I enjoyed the coverage previously on Sky. But these multi billion pound companies should not be dictating that they can have British speedway for nothing. 

By doing so we have now seen the collapse of one club and many others are struggling. If they want the product on their screens they should darn well pay for it. They pay millions of pounds per football match. Crystal Palace v WBA costs something like 9.3 million to screen. 9.3 million for a whole season of speedway would be good vfm.

And yet they pay a club 3000 pounds to screen a live speedway meeting which takes up similar air time. Even if the excuse that more people watch the football, how many £3000 go into £9.3 million? There isn’t THAT many more fans watching (x3,100) Ten times more perhaps. 

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I am also a fan of broadcast speedway. I like the coverage on BT as I enjoyed the coverage previously on Sky. But these multi billion pound companies should not be dictating that they can have British speedway for nothing. 

By doing so we have now seen the collapse of one club and many others are struggling. If they want the product on their screens they should darn well pay for it. They pay millions of pounds per football match. Crystal Palace v WBA costs something like 9.3 million to screen. 9.3 million for a whole season of speedway would be good vfm.

And yet they pay a club 3000 pounds to screen a live speedway meeting.

Agree with the above but speedway seemed to have no choice, it was take the money we offer or forget the coverage.  

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

And yet they pay a club 3000 pounds to screen a live speedway meeting which takes up similar air time. Even if the excuse that more people watch the football, how many £3000 to into £9.3 million?

I agree with most of your post Steve, but speedways not in the same position as  premier league football Sadly they are in a position to dictate, Speedways not.. Although i do agree, its harsh. Thats why i keep saying, clubs need to add an incentive come Televised meetings. You've only got to look at the attendances at the recent TV meetings to tell you a story.

Cannot compare football to speedway ffs Speedway is a mickey mouse sport run by chimps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Agree with the above but speedway seemed to have no choice, it was take the money we offer or forget the coverage.  

What money? £3000 doesn’t go anywhere near covering the shortfall left by stayaway fans watching on the box. The experiment of charging a tenner never worked either as clubs didn’t make up the shortfall with fans coming in.

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

What money? £3000 doesn’t go anywhere near covering the shortfall left by stayaway fans watching on the box. The experiment of charging a tenner never worked either as clubs didn’t make up the shortfall with fans coming in.

I did not say it covered the shortfall, in fact I posted before the season started that clubs would lose out because people would stay at home to watch it.

If speedway went in house that’s pretty much where it will stay, only current fans would get to see it and personally I wouldn’t purchase it, I can see a tiny financial benifit for speedway itself but no sponsor in their right mind would be interested as it has no audience, I do think BT is selling us a bit short with the money but that’s totally our own fault, BT deal in millions v speedway deal in peanuts, no wonder who the winner is there, we have the perfect platform and get decent viewing figures but we can’t get our own house in order, we need to turn the viewing figures into punters on the terraces and we will never do that with in house filming, we have to be out there in the big wide world 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Do you honestly believe that BSPA would have accepted a deal for £3k per meeting? Way off the mark, and would have been a case of no TV coverage if that was the case I'm sure. Wherever that figure has come from (I've seen it mentioned a few times) it has been divided by about 5 I'd reckon!

That said, streaming is still a viable proposition, if marketed and worked at correctly

Edited by Reliant Robin

I've never supported the idea that live broadcasting of league racing in the UK was of benefit to the sport

Certainly for it to be broadcast whilst other tracks are staging meetings makes absolutely no sense

Clearly what money has been provided over the years has not been used for the good of the sport - some pockets have been lined instead

I confess that I'm not au fait with "live streaming" but I get the idea - correct me if I'm wrong - that the broadcast is via t'internet, thus to PCs, iPads, iPhones, etc - can't see how that can attractively compare with the big tv in the big room in the house!  I can watch a meeting on the tv in comfort, but I wouldn't want to sit at my computer or on my iPad for 2+ hours - particularly if it depends on broadband speeds 

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than I know!

Edited by Midland Red

14 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

(BT gives us) the perfect platform and get decent viewing figures but we can’t get our own house in order, we need to turn the viewing figures into punters on the terraces and we will never do that with in house filming, we have to be out there in the big wide world 

You know, that sounds good, but without evidence, it’s just a guess. And there’s no evidence that BT league coverage has brought in new fans and boosted attendances; quite the contrary in all probability, with existing fans watching on TV rather than attend a televised meeting.

The GPs give speedway sufficient coverage to “attract” new fans. That’s a sufficient public profile for that purpose.

The broadcasting of league meetings by the BSPA itself could be about direct revenue rather than profile, grossing maybe £100k a month (10,000 subscribers at £10 each). 

I doubt that the local businesses who sponsor clubs value BT’s coverage as only three or four matches per team are televised and national advertising is of little worth to local businesses.

9 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

I've never supported the idea that live broadcasting of league racing in the UK was of benefit to the sport

Certainly for it to be broadcast whilst other tracks are staging meetings makes absolutely no sense

Clearly what money has been provided over the years has not been used for the good of the sport - some pockets have been lined instead

I confess that I'm not au fait with "live streaming" but I get the idea - correct me if I'm wrong - that the broadcast is via t'internet, thus to PCs, iPads, iPhones, etc - can't see how that can attractively compare with the big tv in the big room in the house!  I can watch a meeting on the tv in comfort, but I wouldn't want to sit at my computer or on my iPad for 2+ hours - particularly if it depends on broadband speeds 

You would be able to watch it on a smart TV. 

9 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Yes there’s a lot more to it than that.

For starters just because it’s streamed doesn’t mean you have to watch it on a laptop, ipad or anything in between. I watch internet streamed Polish speedway on a sunday afternoon in HD on a 55 inch TV. You can either do this directly through a smart tv, or you could use a laptop or ipad, or iphone, or android phone, to stream via Google Chromecast for a 30 quid outlay. I use Chromecast to watch youtube on tv. All extremely simple to use.

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You know, that sounds good, but without evidence, it’s just a guess. And there’s no evidence that BT league coverage has brought in new fans and boosted attendances; quite the contrary in all probability, with existing fans watching on TV rather than attend a televised meeting.

The GPs give speedway sufficient coverage to “attract” new fans. That’s a sufficient public profile for that purpose.

The broadcasting of league meetings by the BSPA itself could be about direct revenue rather than profile, grossing maybe £100k a month (10,000 subscribers at £10 each). 

I doubt that the local businesses who sponsor clubs value BT’s coverage as only three or four matches per team are televised and national advertising is of little worth to local businesses.

It’s not a guess, the viewing figures are good for such a minor sport.10,000 subscribers to a speedway in house effort ? Knock a zero off that and you would be closer, on sponsorship there are company’s out there who think nothing of throwing  £50,000 at a live event on tv, we just need to show we are worthy of which we curently do not , in house nobody will see it and no company of any statue would be interested in sponsoring it, why would they ?