British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Polish Extraleague riders championship Gdansk(IMME)Sunday August 5th live on TV

1 hour ago, eric i said:

warsaw GP I would guess 50,000 poles

Okay I may have to tweak my hypothesis. The Poles do turn out for GPs. 

Honestly not having a go I just find it weird that so few people attended the SON, Extraliga riders championship and the Polish Final. Would be interesting to get a Polish perspective

7 hours ago, James Carter said:

Okay I may have to tweak my hypothesis. The Poles do turn out for GPs. 

Honestly not having a go I just find it weird that so few people attended the SON, Extraliga riders championship and the Polish Final. Would be interesting to get a Polish perspective

It has always been like that League racing was and is very popular as people identify with their teams and most fans care a bit less about individual meeting when you cheer on individual riders.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, James Carter said:

Some points on the PLRC (it should definitely be called that)

1. Rubbish Track.  Why would the organisers choose to race at Gdansk (probably a big sack of cash). Its like that week in week out it hardly came as a surprise.Then again Wroclaw gets a lot of big meetings and is almost as bad

2. Crowd. I have a theory based on just about nothing that Polish fans just want to see their club sides win. Poland Test matches, Polish Final, Polish Golden Helmet, SON all have terrible attendances. 

3. Dudek. OK fair play to him he maximises his abilities. And like all speedway riders they put their lives on the line to race. But he really is the most boring rider to watch. Big gate and straight to the inside. I'd be surprised if he could pass a unicycle if it beat him out of the gate. Week in week outs its the same old story. 

4. Formula. Top 2 through and the next 8 to semi's? I mean who thought that would be a good idea?  Riders were clearly taking it easy in the last few races as they cruised through to the semi. The semi final & final formula works in SGPs because every point counts to your final total.  The GB / Polish final top 6 is much better

Anyway I'm glad i got that off my chest. Feel a lot better. :rolleyes:

Dudek is the Coldplay of speedway - inexcusably dull yet somehow successful. 
He won that meeting by having two great gates at the end.  I agree with James that if you parked a skip on the inside of a track corner he'd have no idea how to get passed it...would probably end up stuck on the circuit all night.