British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
justathought

Kings Lynn v Leicester Lions 4/7/2018

47 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

The goodwill of fans will only stretch so far.

The proof of that pudding will be judged by future turnstile takings.

11 hours ago, mrss said:

Tonight was just a one off

I've been to a number of these "one offs" over the years

4 hours ago, Star Lady said:

Much as I dislike the way the club treat fans nowadays, if as Danny Connor says fans were informed, I fail to see what more the club could have done. 

The fans were informed but not nearly as much as they should have been in a delay of over 2 hours! We live in an information age, it's not acceptable to just stick music on anymore, it's easier than ever to get and give information (perhaps not give information at KL with the ridiculous situation with the mic!)

4 hours ago, Dodger Blue said:

My moan is (and I was there) is, there is obviously only one reason to keep everyone waiting until that late at night to restart a meeting that imo should have been called of way before then - and that has nothing to do with public entertainment, it was all about trying to get to heat 10 even if it was midnight so that no money would be lost on a rerun meeting!!

A cynical person may say it was more to do with getting heat 6 over and done with but I wait to be proven wrong by that

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

One of those nights that speedway throws up occasionally, can understand the frustration of people who were there but don't really see what else could have been done. 

They could have had 2 medical teams available... like many, many tracks have done throughout the years I've been watching Speedway. Motorsports are dangerous and this situation is always possible, as a promoter you've got to weigh up the potential disgruntlement of fans against the cost of a 2nd medical unit. I wonder if this would have happened at a televised meeting?

3 hours ago, mrss said:

I really don't know why people are knocking Buster over last nights events. It wasn't his fault there were falls on the track. Fans were kept informed about delays with ambulances. If people hadn't shouted him down when he was on the mic they would have known what was happening. 

who decided to only have one medical team? the mic was a joke

So I decided to go to this against my better judgement having attended the KOC match back in May, I thought surely this won't take as long to run as that did  (2hrs 10mins for 15 races)... how about 2hrs 45mins for 6 races. But it was a nice day and I spent the late afternoon having a look around KL old town, which is very nice if you've never been, quite a surprise.

Then the Speedway... The 2 minutes go on for heat 1... and is then cancelled, somebody's trying to play the sun delay card (not sure if it was the riders or the ref?), fortunately that was ignored until it became a real problem.... here we go I thought, it's going to be another one of those nights.

Then we had the first accident, I'm not going to get into that as obviously no one wants that to happen and we all obviously wish both the riders involved the very best but... guess what? This is Speedway, incidents like this are always going to happen sooner or later, what you can do as a Speedway promotion is to have a workable plan for when this does happen.

The obvious plan is to have 2 ambulances/medical teams in attendance, problem solved, the match can continue. To have one ambulance/medical team in attendance is risky, to then call an ambulance and expect it to turn up on demand in this day and age is, unfortunately, unrealistic. The ambulance has to go off to hospital, so what do you do then? Well they could have had a backup arranged maybe? Maybe have arranged for a private ambulance firm to be "on call" rather than in attendance. Call the meeting off, knowing that by the time that the ambulance had actually left the track it was going to be unrealistic for the match to be concluded... 

No what we got was 2 hours of music only to be interspersed for the first hour with announcements of we can't tell you anything and we can't interview the riders. In today's day and age this is totally unacceptable. As I mentioned above we live in an information age, people crave information, it's easier than ever to give it and get it (unless you're a Rye House fan!). 

I'm by nature a very cynical man these days as far as Speedway is concerned and part of me is thinking they were going to do anything to get heat 6 out of the way, I hope I'm proved wrong on this, but at best I only half expect a fiver reduction on production of last nights ticket.

Well full re-admission or a fiver off, that's me and KL Speedway through! I shall not be returning again!

• Like 1

It used to be if the meeting was called off before the start of HT 6 I think. Don't know if that is still the case. Don't know about a refund, used to be get in free at another meeting with your ticket .

Edited by Bald Bloke

14 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

It used to be if the meeting was called off before the start of HT 6 I think. Don't know if that is still the case. Don't know about a refund, used to be get in free at another meeting with your ticket .

Not sure but wasn't it changed a couple of years ago to a sort of sliding scale. Before heat 6 readmission, after that £5 off reducing to £1 or along those lines. Off course I could have dreamt it.

Last nights event were unfortunate, i'm not sure you can really blame anyone and thoughts should be with the injured riders.

My concern was the track! It was very grippy, it was perfectly safe but offered no entertainment at all. The first 3 home meetings this season were great spectacles with good racing, plenty of passing on a slicker track. The last 2 home meetings (1 and a half) were the complete opposite on grippy surfaces. When Sargeant (no disrespect) is beating Iversen because their is only one line and when you see a rider of Hans Andersen's quality half a lap behind the leader it does make you question why the track is prepared in that way. The modern speedway bike is so difficult to ride under these circumstances (although admittedly Lambert and Bjerre didn't  have any issues). 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Not sure but wasn't it changed a couple of years ago to a sort of sliding scale. Before heat 6 readmission, after that £5 off reducing to £1 or along those lines. Off course I could have dreamt it.

Oh NO you didn't but I can't find it in print. Can anyone else? For example the promotion?

maybe this might clear up some misunderstandings.

8.2 The minimum Personnel and Facilities required at a Speedway Meeting (including an Amateur Meeting) are: one (1) Medical Officer one (1) Ambulance with a Driver and Attendant one (1) Medical Treatment Facility four (4) First Aid Staff The minimum Personnel and Facilities required at a Training Session (but not one that also includes a Meeting of any sort) is one (1) Medical Treatment Facility plus 2 First Aid Staff. 8.2.1 The Medical Treatment facility may be a 2 nd fully equipped Ambulance or a designated Medical Room, with good access, is well lit, dry, windproof and heated with curtains or similar at all windows, has a chair/couch or similar, a supply of basic medical equipment and facilities for hand washing with hot and cold water. NB. If this is a 2 nd Ambulance appropriately qualified persons must be available to supervise a casualty

I cannot find anything about readmission, admittedly I did speed read the regs cos there's a lot of them:P

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Oh NO you didn't but I can't find it in print. Can anyone else? For example the promotion?

Isnt it in the programme - £1 off for every uncompleted heat up to heat 10, so as I see it £4 off with ticket ... WOW!!

• Sad 1

Surely those with admission tickets will get in free to any of the next 3 meetings or in Leicester fans case when the meeting is re- arranged - I’d be amazed if that’s not the case - after all any short fall would have been made up last night on food and drink sales a two hour hold up I’d have thought there would be increased sales in those areas . Those who are critical of last night I’m sure it’s an a aculmination of what’s gone on over the last few years if last night was just a one off doubt much would be said but it’s not just a one off ok crashes can’t be helped they are a fact of life sadly . Even in the build up to this meeting (or lack of it ) there was confusion on if Iversen was riding or not for the Stars - I found out he definitely was through a connection I have in the sport in DK  anyone who knows me will no who I asked - so surely this confusion could have been hit on the head days before the meeting all the confusion does is put fans off attending - why is so hard to get these simple things right ? If it stopped 5 people attending it’s £90 lost to the club - all we all want is the club to be successful on and off the track all I see is little or no effort to promote meetings a week before there should be something on social media about up coming meetings not 48 hours before . 

• Like 1

Not being funny, but if I don't get free admission for last night's abandonment I will not be going to speedway again at Lynn this season.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pointsmeanplayoffs said:

Not being funny, but if I don't get free admission for last night's abandonment I will not be going to speedway again at Lynn this season.

Can’t fault you I’d expect the exact same 

• Thanks 1

Me too. Would be a very welcome gesture of good will to offer people with tickets free admission.

When the Rye House v Leicester meeting was called off after eight races had been completed due to rain Adults and Seniors were given £4 off and we were told by Rye House that the tickets would get the £4 off at any meeting this season. It was explained on the Rye House website and I paste that below:-

The “BP Mitchell” Rockets have confirmed details of the re-admission discounts for supporters following the abandonment of last night’s home fixture against Leicester.

Because the match was abandoned prior to the completion of Heat 10, fans are entitled to reduced admission at any one future meeting this season (or next) at Rye House. 

The reduction is based on a combination of the admission price paid at last night’s match and the heat at which the match was abandoned. Given that eight of the minimum ten races were completed, there will be a minimum 20% discount available - with all discount values rounded up to the nearest pound. 

The applicable discounts are therefore: Adults £4.00, Seniors £4.00, Disabled £3.00, Students £2.00 and Children (12-16) £2.00.

Discount for the meeting of a supporter’s choice will only apply on the production of the admission ticket from last night’s meeting. Please note that this offer excludes any “shared events”, where Rye House is a neutral staging club, that may take place over this period.