British Speedway Forum

I’m told the U21 round at Leszno had 5 docs. Thats being prepared. Over here with that money you pay for the whole meeting to get organised.

More meetings - at Plymouth and Mildenhall - cut short

This is becoming an epidemic 

Not to mention the delayed start at Birmingham on Wednesday due to Ambulance issues, now while we all understand the need for Medical cover to be present indeed its vital, this is now becoming yet another nail in the sport of Speedway.

Part of the problem is that the regional ambulance services (what used to the "county" ambulance) are so stretched. You very much have to wait your turn unless it is life-threatening. In most cases, with speedway crashes it isn't life threatening AND a paramedic is with the injured rider.

As a result, the track ambulance is likely to be used to convey the injured to the A and E. Then, there is no guarantee of immediate admission; resulting in the paramedic and ambulance medics having to stay with the injured rider until he can be handed over.

Ambulances and medical staff are a cost to all tracks – doesn't matter whether you are Premiership or National League; the cost is likely to be very similar.

I doubt NL budgets can afford to double up on medical cover – and it might stretch some clubs higher up.

Not sure what the solution is, even if there is one.

• Like 1

For me last night at Mildenhall took the biscuit. At the last two meetings at Kent I have been robbed of Eight races with no compensation. On a lovely sunny evening I thought at least there would be zero chance of an abandoned meeting. So heat 13 sees the paramedic struck in the eye by flying shale and unable to continue. Quite why she was watching from the pits I have no idea as I was under the impression the paramedic had to be on the inside of the track. Of course accidents happen but this has now become farcical. No wonder Speedway cannot attract new fans let alone keep the few that remain

• Like 3

On 7/5/2018 at 9:26 PM, rusky said:

I cant be certain on the state now, but when I was involved ion the sport it was the case that if a non-county ambulance took riders to hospital it effectively went to the back of the queue for admission to A&E, as priority was always given to county (i.e. NHS) ambulances, so there would be a significant delay in the rider (or indeed member of the public)  being seen at A&E

On 7/14/2018 at 8:53 PM, pawel115 said:

I have been to meetings especially junior matches when all 4 crashed and 3 needed to be taken to hospital without delay.

Edited by westhamboy66

As a London Ambulanceman I can tell you that there is no  order on the form of a queue with Preference given to NHS Ambulances. Often with the abuse of Ambulances cut fingers , drunks , headaches etc are just some of the patients that arrive at A&E in the back of an ambulance, and if for example a St Johns vehicle arrived with a patient in a serious condition they would be seen immediately to make them wait just because they were being conveyed  in a non NHS vehicle would make zero difference

• Like 5

At least, to give him some credit, Buster Chapman after the last meeting off ( or delayed to the late-night slot ) at KL there will be 2 ambulances on duty to at least avoid such a delay again ( if Sod's Law does not strike ). I am sure that more fans would have joined the No Thanks crowd, if not. I am not sure speedway can afford NOT to sort out this problem of meetings cut short and VFM spiralling downwards.

• Like 1

Another meeting without adequate medical cover

You would have thought there would be extra with it being on tv

• Like 2

Why the paramedic has to go to hospital with a rider with a broken collarbone seems strange but I'm sure he/she knows best.

I suppose it's only right that BT Sport are treated the same way us fans are

Edited by iainb

10 hours ago, iainb said:

Why the paramedic has to go to hospital with a rider with a broken collarbone seems strange but I'm sure he/she knows best.

Seems dramatic.My cousin broke his collar bone in a speedway crash a few weeks back and stayed for the rest of the training session and then was driven back to London from Kent before going to hospital a number of hours after the injury occured!! But as you say each injury is different and each person and their pain levels are also different

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, iainb said:

I think it boils down to the levels of pain relief administered, has a patient passed out etc. There will always be riders / individuals with different pain thresholds. How often have you seen a rider stretchered off to hear the next day that its just bruising and likewise see someone walk back to the pits and hear later they had multiple broken bones.

• Like 2

It was a strange one at Kent last night, a Mildenhall rider was treated for an electric shock from his bike. Luckily he was ok, and the fifteen heats were just about squeezed in.

15 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It was a strange one at Kent last night, a Mildenhall rider was treated for an electric shock from his bike. Luckily he was ok, and the fifteen heats were just about squeezed in.

Certainly a new one on me. I was under the impression magic boxes were out of favour these days and even if the modern ignition systems had a wiring fault sending charge through the frame bike covers, boots and rubber handlebar grips are all not good conductors so where the contact was made to pass on the shock i have no idea but im sure someone more technical than me could hypothesise?