British Speedway Forum

On 7/5/2018 at 9:26 PM, rusky said:

I cant be certain on the state now, but when I was involved ion the sport it was the case that if a non-county ambulance took riders to hospital it effectively went to the back of the queue for admission to A&E, as priority was always given to county (i.e. NHS) ambulances, so there would be a significant delay in the rider (or indeed member of the public)  being seen at A&E

Yep nearly spot on. Normally there are 2 st johns ambulances at a meeting and at least one trained Paramedic/Doctor.  Handover time is normally 15 mins, but as you say, more urgent cases go to the front in cas. which means it could be  depending how far away from the stadium the Hospital is could be anything longer than  40 mins plus. like we had last night. Now if its a fan or a staff member then i think im right in saying a county Ambulance must be called, although in cases of emergency they will be treated first and formost by the track Doctor/Paramedic.

On 10/2/2018 at 3:57 PM, Starman2006 said:

Yep nearly spot on. Normally there are 2 st johns ambulances at a meeting and at least one trained Paramedic/Doctor.  Handover time is normally 15 mins, but as you say, more urgent cases go to the front in cas. which means it could be  depending how far away from the stadium the Hospital is could be anything longer than  40 mins plus. like we had last night. Now if its a fan or a staff member then i think im right in saying a county Ambulance must be called, although in cases of emergency they will be treated first and formost by the track Doctor/Paramedic.

wonder what will happen when poole a and e is transfered to bournemouth hospital . meeting abandoned unless we have double cover ?

4 hours ago, ray c said:

wonder what will happen when poole a and e is transfered to bournemouth hospital . meeting abandoned unless we have double cover ?

Everybody is up in arms mate. Worse decision the CCG have made. for a number of reasons, not just speedway.

35 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Everybody is up in arms mate. Worse decision the CCG have made. for a number of reasons, not just speedway.

yes i agree on monday we had a delay of over an hour because of no medical cover cant see what the answer will be when or if a  and  e is moved to bournemouth difficult i think

8 hours ago, ray c said:

yes i agree on monday we had a delay of over an hour because of no medical cover cant see what the answer will be when or if a  and  e is moved to bournemouth difficult i think

Certainly will not make life easier, there will definately have to be two Ambulances at our meetings, as a trip to bmth hand over and back could take up to a hour half as standard, providing they can hand over more or less straightaway. But 99% of the time thats not posible. We have a dr and a paramedic, so depending on the nature of the injury some can still go to Poole, otherwise one will have to stay and one go,  and 2 st johns will have to go with them,  one be able to drive. All this could cost more.
The CCG are brain dead, but thats another story.

Edited by Starman2006

Time to resurrect this topic almost a year to the day from my original post... in the space of the last week 3 tracks have yet again proven to have inadequate medical cover to properly run a meeting. Poole (again) last week, which ended due to a curfew and fortunately I wasn't at. Leicester on Saturday, which I stuck out to the bitter end and tonight at Peterborough, I left as soon as I heard the paramedic was accompanying Hans Andersen to the hospital.

Shouldve hung around Ianb - was worth the wait :)

Maybe... I'd had enough of watching a tractor go around the track to last me a season at Leicester on Saturday night though

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iainb said:

Time to resurrect this topic almost a year to the day from my original post... in the space of the last week 3 tracks have yet again proven to have inadequate medical cover to properly run a meeting. Poole (again) last week, which ended due to a curfew and fortunately I wasn't at. Leicester on Saturday, which I stuck out to the bitter end and tonight at Peterborough, I left as soon as I heard the paramedic was accompanying Hans Andersen to the hospital.

It was a major factor in me deciding to take in fewer meetings, which I have stuck to this year. Oddly Buster Chapman at KL after previous debacles has had adequate cover but not it seems at Pboro. Why differentiate between his three clubs? I just can't understand why Promoters go on doing this as the frustration drives more and more supporters away every time it happens. Yes, I do understand the cost factors but what that really says is that they can't afford to run speedway matches professionally and so might as well give up now and shut UK speedway down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

It was a major factor in me deciding to take in fewer meetings, which I have stuck to this year. Oddly Buster Chapman at KL after previous debacles has had adequate cover but not it seems at Pboro. Why differentiate between his three clubs? I just can't understand why Promoters go on doing this as the frustration drives more and more supporters away every time it happens. Yes, I do understand the cost factors but what that really says is that they can't afford to run speedway matches professionally and so might as well give up now and shut UK speedway down.

The trouble is you just don't know which tracks have adequate medical cover these days... until it's too late. I was at the KL v Leicester match last year where there was inadequate medical cover and despite Buster saying it wouldn't happen again I vowed never to return to KL. Poole don't even have adequate medical cover for TV matches, so there's no chance of them having it when the cameras aren't there. At least, generally with a bit of research, you can find out when teams are under strength or there is going to be a sun delay.

What makes things worse is the complete lack of thought of what to do when there is a delay due to inadequate medical cover, the best promotions can do seems to be send a tractor out, is this really good enough?

6 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

There were at least 2 ambulances at Boro

It was the fact that senior paramedic needed to accompany Hans to the hospital due to his concern over his condition that meant the delay

2 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

There were at least 2 ambulances at Boro

It was the fact that senior paramedic needed to accompany Hans to the hospital due to his concern over his condition that meant the delay

Yeah, I don't dispute that, but the point is there was still inadequate cover to keep the meeting running

Edited by iainb

47 minutes ago, iainb said:

Yeah, I don't dispute that, but the point is there was still inadequate cover to keep the meeting running

I haven't read all this thread, but what do you class as adequate medical cover? 

1 hour ago, Isotonic said:

I haven't read all this thread, but what do you class as adequate medical cover? 

I class medical cover as enough cover to keep a meeting running should there be an incident, i.e. an ambulance or medic required to visit the hospital... motorsports are dangerous after all

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I class medical cover as enough cover to keep a meeting running should there be an incident, i.e. an ambulance or medic required to visit the hospital... motorsports are dangerous after all

So the club must pay for TWO paramedics and TWO ambulances, just in case?

Get realistic.

Clubs are heamoriging money left right and centre so they are not going to double their costs, just in case!

There are one or two clubs who have fans who are medics so they may not charge the club for their services and a couple of clubs have purchased 3rd hand ambulances so they don't have to rent one in but it's the usual thing that matters....MONEY!