British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So the club must pay for TWO paramedics and TWO ambulances, just in case?

It's probably past the point of no return now... but yes, or they'll be playing in front of crowds who don't mind hanging around for over an hour watching a tractor go around the track... and there can't be many of them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iainb said:

It's probably past the point of no return now... but yes, or they'll be playing in front of crowds who don't mind hanging around for over an hour watching a tractor go around the track... and there can't be many of them

There isn't now so again, why double your costs?

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

There isn't now so again, why double your costs?

to try and hang on to the support you've got and maybe just maybe attract new fans... It was the best night of weather this year on Saturday night and there were some new fans in attendance, do you honestly think they'll be back?

• Like 2

I understand hanging around waiting is annoying but despite having multiple reasons for no longer attending speedway live, lack of medical cover has never been a reason for my disenchantment with the sport.

You can have 2 paramedics at every meeting and then 2 serious injuries occur ( I've seen that happen).  Are you then going to demand 3....and then 4. Well let's go the whole hog and have 5 in case someone on the terraces requires treatment. 

I wonder if anyone has ever worked out the percentage of meetings delayed for more than 15 minutes because a paramedic is required to attend a rider or accompany him to hospital. I'd hazard a guess that's it's in the low single figures. 

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I understand hanging around waiting is annoying but despite having multiple reasons for no longer attending speedway live, lack of medical cover has never been a reason for my disenchantment with the sport.

You can have 2 paramedics at every meeting and then 2 serious injuries occur ( I've seen that happen).  Are you then going to demand 3....and then 4. Well let's go the whole hog and have 5 in case someone on the terraces requires treatment. 

I wonder if anyone has ever worked out the percentage of meetings delayed for more than 15 minutes because a paramedic is required to attend a rider or accompany him to hospital. I'd hazard a guess that's it's in the low single figures. 

Just my opinion.

In all my years of following Coventry (1984 - 2016) I can't remember any occasion where a meeting was held up due to inadequate medical cover, yet the same old tracks are unable to provide adequate medical cover, Poole, KL, Peterborough and now Leicester

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, iainb said:

In all my years of following Coventry (1984 - 2016) I can't remember any occasion where a meeting was held up due to inadequate medical cover, yet the same old tracks are unable to provide adequate medical cover, Poole, KL, Peterborough and now Leicester

Delays of the magnitude we've seen recently are unacceptable, and cost cutting in this area should not be allowed, I understand that at Poole a rider who it turned out had serious ankle damage was pushed on a trolley through the local streets to hospital. Imagine the conversation amongst the residents... Whats happening there ? reply Oh it's some speedway guy had a crash at the stadium but they can't afford an ambulance..

The basic requirements just aren't acceptable and improvements in the medical cover need to be made urgently .

• Like 6

3 hours ago, iainb said:

There were always 2 ambulances and the paramedic vehicle available at Brandon. Even the medical cover on the Isle of Wight put a lot of the bigger 'professional' clubs to shame.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

There were always 2 ambulances and the paramedic vehicle available at Brandon. Even the medical cover on the Isle of Wight put a lot of the bigger 'professional' clubs to shame.

A properly run club, {well until the last five years anyway}:D

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 6:59 PM, Dave Jones said:

Delays of the magnitude we've seen recently are unacceptable, and cost cutting in this area should not be allowed, I understand that at Poole a rider who it turned out had serious ankle damage was pushed on a trolley through the local streets to hospital. Imagine the conversation amongst the residents... Whats happening there ? reply Oh it's some speedway guy had a crash at the stadium but they can't afford an ambulance..

The basic requirements just aren't acceptable and improvements in the medical cover need to be made urgently .

Oh dear! Not wishing to decry the poster (Dave) but that story has got WILDLY out of hand!

the fact was that Nico Covatti and Richie Worrall we’re both down. Nico was thought to have chest injuries and a possible punctured lung, he was having breathing difficulties and therefore prioritised by the medics. He was loaded into the ambulance and removed from the track to the sidelines.

meanwhile Richie had his ankle immobilised and was loaded onto a stretcher/trolley but was waiting for the ambulance to come back onto the track to take him too.

After a lengthy wait, The medics simply pushed him on the trolley to where the ambulance was waiting.. a journey between the middle of bend two and the entrance to bend one.

It doesn’t alter the fact that medical cover IS a serious concern when more than one rider is injured.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 11:51 PM, MMX Events said:

Oh dear! Not wishing to decry the poster (Dave) but that story has got WILDLY out of hand!

the fact was that Nico Covatti and Richie Worrall we’re both down. Nico was thought to have chest injuries and a possible punctured lung, he was having breathing difficulties and therefore prioritised by the medics. He was loaded into the ambulance and removed from the track to the sidelines.

meanwhile Richie had his ankle immobilised and was loaded onto a stretcher/trolley but was waiting for the ambulance to come back onto the track to take him too.

After a lengthy wait, The medics simply pushed him on the trolley to where the ambulance was waiting.. a journey between the middle of bend two and the entrance to bend one.

It doesn’t alter the fact that medical cover IS a serious concern when more than one rider is injured.

It doesn't take "more than one rider being injured" to cause these meeting delays though. Often , when the medic feels the need to accompany one injured rider to the hospital then everything grinds to a halt.

I understand why the promoters don't provide the extra cover but given the precarious state of british speedway  currently, long delays are not going to encourage fans to attend again. I don't believe there are too many other sports where competitors are so vulnerable to injury that would provide such basic medical cover and risk not completing the meetings, thus denying the fans value for their entrance fee.

• Like 2

So Leicester continue to run with inadequate medical cover as another meeting is abandoned and another healthy crowd is sent home short changed and another proportion of fans will not return...

It was the reason none of us bothered we knew it wouldn't get to the end, never a doubt

58 minutes ago, iainb said:

So Leicester continue to run with inadequate medical cover as another meeting is abandoned and another healthy crowd is sent home short changed and another proportion of fans will not return...

The mind boggles really!

Time to put things into perspective surely? Speedway is a dangerous sport. If you are going to ride a bike with no brakes at high speed, there will sooner or later be injuries. In this case there seems to have been a serious one. So the meeting is abandoned. So what is the worst thing that can happen to a supporter? Your night is inconvenienced. In this case, you get free entry into another meeting later on in the season. Compare that to the rider in hospital. I'm sure if you wanted to check, you would find examples of rugby, football and other sports where matched have been abandoned because of a serious injury. I would be pretty sure the fans wouldn't be saying that they wouldn't be going back to another match because of it. 

If you want to watch a dangerous sport, you have to be prepared to put up with the risks involved.

• Like 3

It's not that at all obviously but last night was never going to get finished, I think the first race started at 8.45 . As a Cradley fan who wants to come and watch that. If I was a home fan I'd have been there.

All the best to the riders OBVIOUSLY