British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, bruno said:

It's not that at all obviously but last night was never going to get finished, I think the first race started at 8.45 . As a Cradley fan who wants to come and watch that. If I was a home fan I'd have been there.

All the best to the riders OBVIOUSLY

I think it was nearer 9pm

Crazy, gutted for Tom hope he's ok. I'm still into my speedway but starting at 9 isn't going to get me to turn up. Likewise tomorrow at Monmore I've got the chance to spend the day walking in the lake district so it's a no brainer what I'm doing likewise the week after Wolves are starting at 8 so I'm off up the pub instead. In the past nothing got in the way of a meeting but if something else turns up on a race night know there's a chance I'm give the speedway a miss because it's not a must not miss night out anymore for vfm 

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

Time to put things into perspective surely? Speedway is a dangerous sport. If you are going to ride a bike with no brakes at high speed, there will sooner or later be injuries. In this case there seems to have been a serious one. So the meeting is abandoned. So what is the worst thing that can happen to a supporter? Your night is inconvenienced. In this case, you get free entry into another meeting later on in the season. Compare that to the rider in hospital. I'm sure if you wanted to check, you would find examples of rugby, football and other sports where matched have been abandoned because of a serious injury. I would be pretty sure the fans wouldn't be saying that they wouldn't be going back to another match because of it. 

If you want to watch a dangerous sport, you have to be prepared to put up with the risks involved.

it doesn't matter if it's serious (back, head etc) or not (wrist, collarbone etc), any trip to hospital at Leicester, even for a member of the (dwindling) crowd is going to hold a meeting up for an hour, and at the pace Leicester run their meetings, possibly force an abandonment because of the curfew. Like you say, Speedway is a dangerous sport, bikes no brakes at high speed, it's not rugby, football or other sports, it's barely a sport at all. If you're expecting punters to turn up at £20 a pop on the pretence of putting on a professionally run event this can't be allowed to continue.

42 minutes ago, iainb said:

it doesn't matter if it's serious (back, head etc) or not (wrist, collarbone etc), any trip to hospital at Leicester, even for a member of the (dwindling) crowd is going to hold a meeting up for an hour, and at the pace Leicester run their meetings, possibly force an abandonment because of the curfew. Like you say, Speedway is a dangerous sport, bikes no brakes at high speed, it's not rugby, football or other sports, it's barely a sport at all. If you're expecting punters to turn up at £20 a pop on the pretence of putting on a professionally run event this can't be allowed to continue.

So, how many ambulances do you think they should have in attendance? How many Paramedics, how many spare tractors?

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gambo said:

So, how many ambulances do you think they should have in attendance? How many Paramedics, how many spare tractors?

I don't know, you tell me, how ever many it takes to keep the meeting running... keeps happening at Leicester doesn't it. I've never run a Speedway track, I'm just the bloody mug that keeps turning up every week expecting things to be better!

Edited by iainb

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't know, you tell me, how ever many it takes to keep the meeting running... keeps happening at Leicester doesn't it. I've never run a Speedway track, I'm just the bloody mug that keeps turning up every week expecting things to be better!

Do you have any idea how many extra people need to go thro the turnstiles to cover just one extra ambulance and paramedic?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Do you have any idea how many extra people need to go thro the turnstiles to cover just one extra ambulance and paramedic?

Nope, do you have any idea how many more people won't return to Speedway while this continues to happen?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I think it was nearer 9pm

Glad I decided to go home after the Lions match and not watch some of the N.L heats., to make sure I didn't go over the 4 hour's allowed in the car park as it takes me ages to walk back.   My first visit since the long delay during the Redcar meeting.........don't think I will say anything else except I hope the rider recovers quickly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Nope, do you have any idea how many more people won't return to Speedway while this continues to happen?

Do you?

53 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Do you?

Yes, at least 1... me

15 minutes ago, iainb said:

Yes, at least 1... me

So you are not going to Leicester again, in case there is a delay and/or abandonment? That is your prerogative, but you staying away will not make a difference to the medical cover! And, apart from last night, where it was a bit 'gate and go', even you must admit that this year has seen some great racing at Leicester. Nose, spite & face phrase comes to mind.

• Like 1

I wouldn't not go to a meeting because of medical cover but I won't go to a double header if my team is in the second meeting. Very rarely does the second meeting get finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

So you are not going to Leicester again, in case there is a delay and/or abandonment? That is your prerogative, but you staying away will not make a difference to the medical cover! And, apart from last night, where it was a bit 'gate and go', even you must admit that this year has seen some great racing at Leicester. Nose, spite & face phrase comes to mind.

Well, it's certainly going to be a consideration, i.e. if the weather looks dodgy or there's loads of juniors in a team. I'll allow a track 1 fiasco a year... this is Leicester's 3rd. Honestly there's been 2 stand out, memorable, for the right reasons, matches this year, Eastbourne and Glasgow... the rest have been instantly forgettable