British Speedway Forum
Normski

Berwick v Workington Championship & Border Trophy 7/7/18. 7pm

9 minutes ago, havenagotahope said:

Walking down  past the Castle Hotel at four o’clock this afternoon 

Did he own or part own The Castle at one time ? 

On 8 July 2018 at 1:23 PM, DSC67 said:

Three consecutive weeks Berwick gave lost a 1-5 in ht 15 , strength in depth is all good and well but you still need a rider you can rely on to win the important heats 

Just reading the website and it's on about us getting outgated.

Need to take some pointers from Nicolai on that one.  Mind I think when he was warned for jumping the start it was just as bad in the re-run which was let go.

How many meetings do probation referees need to do to qualify?

He certainly had an eye for a rider and still does today. It would be interesting to see hypothetically how he would recruit from abroad in a more contested market

Edited by Robinh88

1 hour ago, DSC67 said:

Letting kids in free is a great incentive for parents to take them along it probably helps to cover the fuel costs, if they had to pay for them would they still take them ? Another thing I've often wondered once they reach 16 do they come to the meetings with their parents or do head out with their notes , it's the 16 -24 yr olds we need to attract 

A lot stop coming at 16 - there are a lot of other attractions that don’t carry a £15 price tag

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DSC67 said:

Did he own or part own The Castle at one time ? 

Yes, and the Hen and Chickens. I think Prior to the birth of Bedrocks.

And a history before that too,

He can run a business 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sparks123 said:

Just reading the website and it's on about us getting outgated.

Need to take some pointers from Nicolai on that one.  Mind I think when he was warned for jumping the start it was just as bad in the re-run which was let go.

How many meetings do probation referees need to do to qualify?

Think some of them should go back to Duns to practice their gating like they did before;)

10 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

You can do as many hours as you like getting it wrong, it is still wrong.  The second half of last season the track prep massively improved, at a guess probably NICK MORRIS insisting kt was prepared properly.  I was being entertained, apart from the Glasgow meeting this year I have not been entertained.  I have missed more meetings this year than in the 20 yrs I have been going to Berwick speedway.  You take the kids out of the crowd on Saturday I doubt there were much more than 400 in attendance.  Before someone jumps in and says kids are important they are the future, true, but they get in free, so without the old fa*rts like me paying to get in , then this business model is doomed to failure.

The point I was making was that a poster claimed no work was done on the track from one week to another. That is wrong.

As for the reasons why the track has changed from last season, we can all guess.

Interesting to see Peter Waite being lauded, when back in the day, I bet you could go onto these forum pages and see him getting slated by the fans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, topsoil said:

Interesting to see Peter Waite being lauded, when back in the day, I bet you could go onto these forum pages and see him getting slated by the fans.

Does it not depend what he was being lauded for,for me he had his moments but he was his own man and done it his way which is fair enough ,but if he took a little advice now and then it MIGHT have helped.He was very approachable though and gave as good as he got.He resurrected a few careers with his shrew signings.

• Like 1

Appropriate that we are discussing Peter on a Berwick v Workington Fixture, with the rivalry between him and Ian Thomas 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Does it not depend what he was being lauded for,for me he had his moments but he was his own man and done it his way which is fair enough ,but if he took a little advice now and then it MIGHT have helped.He was very approachable though and gave as good as he got.He resurrected a few careers with his shrew signings.

Just about summed it up there. My own personal take was that he took on too much himself and was stubborn to a fault. I've known Peter for a long time and the stories he tells are very entertaining. I just find it funny how hypocritical a lot of posters can be on here.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, penchev said:

Wow! £11,250 to break even for a home meeting, thats staggering!!

Probably a 1/3  of the paying adults would be paying £11 and not £15, that would bring the total down to about £8.500

15 hours ago, concessionscol said:

still say the unemployed should get in on concession of £11 

The unemployed should get a job, if you are on social you should not be able to afford luxuries