British Speedway Forum
Normski

Berwick v Workington Championship & Border Trophy 7/7/18. 7pm

6 hours ago, DSC67 said:

I think the highlight of of the night was when I got crapped on by a passing seagull, maybe it was a comment on the racing  :party:

hope the seagull is ok mmmmmm

Tight meeting with never more than 2 points between the teams until after heat 15 when Comets took a match deciding 5-1. On a track where good starts are absolutely vital it was the 8 last places and a retirement from the Bandits which ultimately decided the meeting. Gappmaier after looking pretty poor at Worky the previous evening was probably Bandits star man with 12 points from reserve , not sure why he didn't get 7 rides, Spud was solid again as was big improver Jye Etheridge after running a last in his first ride. Dave Howe and NBJ with only 5 points between them had nights they wlll want to forget.

For the Comets all the boys contributed. Dan was sensational in his first two rides from the outside gates before finding out how difficult it is to execute a pass at Shielfield if your behind after bend 2 lap 1. Rene was competitive all meeting and looking like the rider we all know again. Mason deserves a lot of credit for being involved in 3 heat advantages in his first 3 rides 2 of which were 5-1's. Rasser dug deep in his latter races to help secure the points, did a fantastic job in heat 15 after a late call up following a tape offence by Rene. Nicholai just got better as the meeting went on, can look so classy and is great from the tapes . Like Ty in the Shield meeting draw he won his last 3 rides which was hugely instrumental in the destination of the points. Good to see young Kyle get a point in what is a very tough league.

• Like 1

Shows how good a strength in depth team is when they can't beat a 5 man team no disrespect to young Kyle maybe its just as well there is only 4 meetings left hope Ty is okay don't know how Dany didn't get 7 rides

• Like 1

That crowd was probably down by at least 100 if not 200 on any other crowd this season, can you blame them? NO

Awful performance at Edinburgh last friday, awful racing last Saturday, awful performance on Friday v Worky, world cup quarter final on in afternoon gave the people a reason not to go, just go to the pub watch the game and have a good time instead of going to the speedway and coming out depressed. Track is awful, no dirt, drier than Dry House, crowd looked awful, same old same old...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

That crowd was probably down by at least 100 if not 200 on any other crowd this season, can you blame them? NO

Awful performance at Edinburgh last friday, awful racing last Saturday, awful performance on Friday v Worky, world cup quarter final on in afternoon gave the people a reason not to go, just go to the pub watch the game and have a good time instead of going to the speedway and coming out depressed. Track is awful, no dirt, drier than Dry House, crowd looked awful, same old same old...

It’s the whole package 

Excellent win for the Comets, doesn't read as if it was the best of matches but hey, I'll take a scruffy away win anytime!! :D

Good to see Rene finally showing his real form and long may it continue, certainly worth the investment is that new engine, and with Nickolai and the rest of the guys chipping in after Ty was sidelined that's been a really good effort to get the result from a normally difficult track, very positive outlook for us if we can keep this form together especially as most of our remaining meetings are at home!! :t:

Take my hat of to Dan Bewlay last night very exciting and fast in front AND when he missed the gate he chased and gave 100% in every race trying to pass the opposition for 4 laps.By contrast Danny Gapp was excellent when he gated but trailed half the strait behind when he didn't ,surely if you can win heats you should be able to  at least keep up with the opposition with a bit of effort.( obviously knew passing was non existant ).Entertainment factor was missing again this week.

• Like 2

Never mind its Glasgow at the end of the month, the track will be back to normal and everyone will be riding like GP stars. Nothing f****** surer!

I’ve been to every meeting at Shielfield Park this year and that was one of the dullest. Only the closeness of the score made it interesting. Odds on heat 15 was going to go Workingtons way. 

Dont know what’s happened to Nikolaj, he can be much better than that. 

That looked one of the lowest attendances  here all season. Maybe some had decided to stay in the pub after watching England’s victory over Sweden, or were watching the Swedish GP. Maybe some watching Croatia v Russia. Perhaps a good few have given up due to the dross served up this season. 

Edited by Shadders

17 minutes ago, Shadders said:

I’ve been to every meeting at Shielfield Park this year and that was one of the dullest. Only the closeness of the score made it interesting. Odds on heat 15 was going to go Workingtons way. 

That looked one of the lowest attendances  here all season. Maybe some had decided to stay in the pub after watching England’s victory over Sweden, or were watching the Swedish GP. Maybe some watching Croatia v Russia. Perhaps a good few have given up due to the dross served up this season. 

Three consecutive weeks Berwick gave lost a 1-5 in ht 15 , strength in depth is all good and well but you still need a rider you can rely on to win the important heats 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Win loose or draw a speedway fan should allways turn up.week after week, i cant because of work but would never  not go to derwent park when off work remember 1980 when we only won 2 matches its still your team support through thick and thin!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Win loose or draw a speedway fan should allways turn up.week after week, i cant because of work but would never  not go to derwent park when off work remember 1980 when we only won 2 matches its still your team support through thick and thin!

I'll  still be there next week win, lose or draw , probably because I've nothing else to do , I don't mind losing a tight match as long as the racing's good 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, geoff100 said:

Most Berwick have supported their team though, through thin and thin recently but there comes a point where the cost of admission isn`t worth what you are watching on track. Last season on many Saturday nights I walked out of Shielfield Park feeling I had value for money, even when we lost. This season that hasent happened anywhere near as many times, so you could ask what are they doing different in track prep from last season to this. 

i am sure that, that kind,

8 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

i can assure you that , that kind of support was appreciated by the promotion at that time   :t: