British Speedway Forum
Booey boy

2010/11 the beginning of the end

Was the winter of discontent when 2 promoters wanted a independent body administrating speedway and they got thrown out the beginning of the end

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Booey boy said:

Was the winter of discontent when 2 promoters wanted a independent body administrating speedway and they got thrown out the beginning of the end

The beginning of the end has been coming for a few years. I'm surprised it has taken so long to arrive.

4 hours ago, Booey boy said:

Yes but that doesn't mean they were right or wrong

13 hours ago, Whisperer said:

Yes but that doesn't mean they were right or wrong

I think there should be an independent body running speedway .At the moment the promoters are looking after there own interest which is not helping the sport as a whole 

• Like 2

We have to remember also the promoters have also been taking big hits financially to keep the sport afloat as well.

However I agree that an independent body and a rebirth of the sport here is required.

Is there anybody with a reasonable knowledge of speedway and who is truly 'independent'?  I have a post-it sized postage stamp to write down the list!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Personally and maybe somewhat selfishly, my personal 'beginning of the end' was in 1991 when both Hackney and Wimbledon closed leaving no team left inside the M25.

I blamed Poole at the time! (Really ... the great Melvyn Stewkesbury plan which took 4 top teams out of the National League and left the rest of them to fend for themselves)

Since then, it seems to have been never-ending small steps towards oblivion (1 big league not working, the rise of the GP, the rise of the overseas leagues in importance compared to ours etc, speed over trackcraft etc)

Speedway reminds me of a fish out of water - flapping and contorting its body in a desperate attempt to find  credibility. Its fan-base is shrinking and it seems to have major problems recruiting younger fans (i cannot get my son to move from his bedroom to watch it on TV so what chance of getting him from Bristol to either Swindon or Highbridge)

I wish i knew the answer, i really do

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Is there anybody with a reasonable knowledge of speedway and who is truly 'independent'?  I have a post-it sized postage stamp to write down the list!!

The alternative is to do nothing, which is not an alternative if you want to be watching speedway in this country beyond 2020.

4 hours ago, Andy Downes said:

Personally and maybe somewhat selfishly, my personal 'beginning of the end' was in 1991 when both Hackney and Wimbledon closed leaving no team left inside the M25.

I blamed Poole at the time! (Really ... the great Melvyn Stewkesbury plan which took 4 top teams out of the National League and left the rest of them to fend for themselves)

Since then, it seems to have been never-ending small steps towards oblivion (1 big league not working, the rise of the GP, the rise of the overseas leagues in importance compared to ours etc, speed over trackcraft etc)

Speedway reminds me of a fish out of water - flapping and contorting its body in a desperate attempt to find  credibility. Its fan-base is shrinking and it seems to have major problems recruiting younger fans (i cannot get my son to move from his bedroom to watch it on TV so what chance of getting him from Bristol to either Swindon or Highbridge)

I wish i knew the answer, i really do

Did you mean Mervyn Stewkesbury?!

6 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Graham drury 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, Skidder1 said:

Did you mean Mervyn Stewkesbury?!

Yes that's him! If I spelled his name wrongly it's because I haven't seen his name in print for at least 25 years (jeez time flies)

After Hackney packed up, I didn't bother going to Arena as i'd got into a relationship with a lady who had no interest in bikes and i only really became interested again as an armchair fan again a few years ago - whatever happened to him anyway?

The beginning of the end was the 39.95 points limit in the top flight - whenever that was. 2008?

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 9:49 AM, Grachan said:

The beginning of the end was the 39.95 points limit in the top flight - whenever that was. 2008?

Was 38.85 for that season! 2009 = 39.90, 2010 = 40.95 (a 3 year plan)

• Like 1

We have suffered a lot of different initiatives from our beloved BSPA over the years. A recurring theme is that as they seek to address one problem they cause another and the spiral continues.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TonyE said:

We have suffered a lot of different initiatives from our beloved BSPA over the years. A recurring theme is that as they seek to address one problem they cause another and the spiral continues.

That sums it up really.