British Speedway Forum

Fastest in practice picks his gates - rubbish, at the best he picks his race number.

Fastest in practice gets rewarded somehow - nah. Some riders chose not to do practice, as race days can be so different to practice day. 

I recall the 1976 world final in Katowice.... Peter Collins won.  He said he did practice but didn't use the whole power of his bike, nor show his true pace.... he saved it all for race day, didn't want his opponents to see what he had till they were eating his dirt.

3 hours ago, kraftwerk said:

share the article please.

went in the bin ages ago sorry

Edited by Mark

2 hours ago, kraftwerk said:

share the article please.

TRANSPONDERS are being introduced along with photo finishes but unsure whether they will be involved in picking riding numbers

• Like 1

I think transponders are a big step forward, I like stats and track records etc so to have transponders would give the numbers a lot more credence, rather then someone sat in the box with a stopwatch. 

I don't think you can take away tapes at the start of a speedway race, it's all part of it. But there is nothing to stop transponders being used to detect jump starts etc.

I like the idea of seeing people's times in practice, but let's not forget it Is exactly that. It's for riders to get a feel for things it's not a competition and should have no bearing on the following days gp at all. That's not to say you couldn't give a watch, or a trophy or a small token to the fastest lap time in practice. 

The biggest thing with transponders is, it should irradicate riders making the perfect start getting pulled back needlessly.

Edited by teaboy279
  • Like 1

Last night the announcer/timekeeper at Belle Vue gave a time of 61.02 for heat 8 then immediately apologised if we had filled in our programmes as it was wrong. He then gave a time of 62.69. Where 61.02 came from I have no idea as wasn't a time of a previous race. Do they just make them up?:unsure:

Edited by IronScorpion