British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Buxton v Brummies NT Sun 8th July

7 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Of course Birmingham have form. Tried it on at Eastbourne a couple of years back over trying to use James Shanes when he was ineligible 

My view on that little episode is the same now as it was then. It was sheer stupidity. And to use the excuse of 'other teams have done just this several times already this year' was crass in the extreme. What an opportunity missed, a chance to do the treble thrown out of the window all because rules and regs were disregarded. Oh well, water under the bridge and all that.

However, more up to date, the furore over Gary Flint allowed Sheldon Davies to step in at the last moment, and put on a decent performance, by all accounts. I'd never heard of him before yesterday lunchtime. So, is he any good or not? Was yesterday afternoon's showing due to genuine flair and aptitude or the mediocre opposition, or perhaps maybe a combination of both? Either way, it looks like this lad deserves another outing with the team at the very least.

With that in mind, here's a note to the Birmingham management. If he's not already signed to another club (I haven't a clue whether he is or not), get his signature on a contract ASAP. He may have qualities which were sadly lacking in a recently departed member of the team: Application and commitment.

Edited by Leicester Hunter
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Leicester Hunter said:

My view on that little episode is the same now as it was then. It was sheer stupidity. And to use the excuse of 'other teams have done just this several times already this year' was crass in the extreme. What an opportunity missed, a chance to do the treble thrown out of the window all because rules and regs were disregarded. Oh well, water under the bridge and all that.

However, more up to date, the furore over Gary Flint allowed Sheldon Davies to step in at the last moment, and put on a decent performance, by all accounts. I'd never heard of him before yesterday lunchtime. So, is he any good or not? Was yesterday afternoon's showing due to genuine flair and aptitude or the mediocre opposition, or perhaps maybe a combination of both? Either way, it looks like this lad deserves another outing with the team at the very least.

With that in mind, here's a note to the Birmingham management. If he's not already signed to another club (I haven't a clue whether he is or not), get his signature on a contract ASAP. He may have qualities which were sadly lacking in a recently departed member of the team: Application and commitment.

NL clubs are not allowed assets any more , the most Bham can do is get in first and offer him a place , even then if he decides to go elsewhere  he can do just that . 

7 minutes ago, adonis said:

NL clubs are not allowed assets any more , the most Bham can do is get in first and offer him a place , even then if he decides to go elsewhere  he can do just that . 

Yes, I know all about assets, that's what I meant even if it didn't come across that way. If the Birmingham management have not offered, or not thinking of offering Sheldon at least one more run out with the club, they are missing a really good opportunity IMO. 

1 hour ago, Leicester Hunter said:

Yes, I know all about assets, that's what I meant even if it didn't come across that way. If the Birmingham management have not offered, or not thinking of offering Sheldon at least one more run out with the club, they are missing a really good opportunity IMO. 

really it's not fair on the NL clubs , they are the ones who are bringing new riders into the sport , and then when the rider moves up the championship clubs see the financial benefit of getting a signature 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, adonis said:

Not true - NL clubs can retain assets. This was amended and agreed upon at last years AGM. 

2 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Not true - NL clubs can retain assets. This was amended and agreed upon at last years AGM. 

well  that just shows how out of touch I am then Jayne , apologies if i have mislead anyone it was not intentional; 

2 hours ago, adonis said:

well  that just shows how out of touch I am then Jayne , apologies if i have mislead anyone it was not intentional; 

no need to apologise they were taken away but were reinstated after a lot of debate and counter proposals an agreement was reached at the AGM . Don't think it was publicised very much though.

• Like 1

I had heard but I think there is a limit on what NL clubs can get. Is that true, Jayne?

If the limit is reasonable, I think that works for everyone.

I would be interested on the Buxton 'take' on the current situation, bearing in mind the club's past record in bringing people on.

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

I had heard but I think there is a limit on what NL clubs can get. Is that true, Jayne?

If the limit is reasonable, I think that works for everyone.

I would be interested on the Buxton 'take' on the current situation, bearing in mind the club's past record in bringing people on.

There is indeed a structure and limit to the fee which was accepted by everyone. As things stand within the sport there had to be a compromise and thankfully after a lot of discussion a positive outcome was reached. As for Buxton's take on the situation we were happy with the outcome and I think all clubs have to be realistic with what they are prepared to pay and accept for a rider.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jayne said:

There is indeed a structure and limit to the fee which was accepted by everyone. As things stand within the sport there had to be a compromise and thankfully after a lot of discussion a positive outcome was reached. As for Buxton's take on the situation we were happy with the outcome and I think all clubs have to be realistic with what they are prepared to pay and accept for a rider.  

Thank you for the reply.

As to the fees, what you say makes sense. Speedway is what it is in 2018.

I am pleased the previous policy has been reversed.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to reply.

I hope you realise that there are quite a few people who quietly admire Buxton and what the club has done and is doing for the sport.

I wish you well [but not too well when you meet Eastbourne :) ]

Edited by Richard Weston
edited to correct literal
  • Like 1

As far as the situation with Gary Flint is concerned, according to the Speedway Star, it seems that the BSPA initially issued a Press Release highlighting the prospect of Birmingham's team featuring a father and son combination, but shortly afterwards, withdrew it. Clearly they initially approved Birmingham's application to track Flint the Elder, but later decided (or were persuaded) to rescind this.

If this was the case, then you could say that both party's were correct - Birmingham to name him in their team, and Buxton to object to it!

12 hours ago, brianbuck said:

As far as the situation with Gary Flint is concerned, according to the Speedway Star, it seems that the BSPA initially issued a Press Release highlighting the prospect of Birmingham's team featuring a father and son combination, but shortly afterwards, withdrew it. Clearly they initially approved Birmingham's application to track Flint the Elder, but later decided (or were persuaded) to rescind this.

If this was the case, then you could say that both party's were correct - Birmingham to name him in their team, and Buxton to object to it!

At no point were Buxton right to object (assuming they did) imo.

The result was a given regardless, the BSPA had said it was ok, Gazza hardly pulled up any trees all them years ago, and how great for Leon to have a ride.

Guest GiveusaB
1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

At no point were Buxton right to object (assuming they did) imo.

The result was a given regardless, the BSPA had said it was ok, Gazza hardly pulled up any trees all them years ago, and how great for Leon to have a ride.

Exactly!

Wasn't as if Brum were using him to 'win' the match....it was nostalgia and desperation! !

However, Buxton promoters said that they would allow it, if Mr Rogers could produce the permit ? (according to one of Jayne Moss's threads?)

Why didn't Laurence produce it ?????????

Jane, So did you ever receive the BSPA confirmation off Lawrenve  that he Maintained  he had in is car? 

6 hours ago, Argos said:

Jane, So did you ever receive the BSPA confirmation off Lawrenve  that he Maintained  he had in is car? 

No I haven't.