British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Thornaby48

To be reserved or not that is the team managers question

Speed way, like cricket , is very focused on averages---batting, bowling, riding.Historically in speed way the two lowest averaged riders occupy nos. 6 and 7.THis could mean a rider yo-yo into and out of the main team. At times a rider in the main team can ride below his average due to loss of form or recovering from injury and needs a boost to get back into it. The 7th in the averages must be a reserve but why not allow the team manager decide which of the 4,5,6 riders in the averages to take the other reserve position? A recent example of how this would work  is the Red car v Scunthorpe meeting.Tobias Busch returned from injury for this match ,  he is 4th in the averages,___  .48 higher than M B Andersen in 6th place. The team manager would have the option to use him at no.6 to allow him to ride back  to match fitness, then put him back in the main body of the team when he sees fit. This also means the team manager has more say in the selection of the team rather than  being a servant to the averages.

On 7/7/2018 at 4:21 PM, Thornaby48 said:

Speed way, like cricket , is very focused on averages---batting, bowling, riding.Historically in speed way the two lowest averaged riders occupy nos. 6 and 7.THis could mean a rider yo-yo into and out of the main team. At times a rider in the main team can ride below his average due to loss of form or recovering from injury and needs a boost to get back into it. The 7th in the averages must be a reserve but why not allow the team manager decide which of the 4,5,6 riders in the averages to take the other reserve position? A recent example of how this would work  is the Red car v Scunthorpe meeting.Tobias Busch returned from injury for this match ,  he is 4th in the averages,___  .48 higher than M B Andersen in 6th place. The team manager would have the option to use him at no.6 to allow him to ride back  to match fitness, then put him back in the main body of the team when he sees fit. This also means the team manager has more say in the selection of the team rather than  being a servant to the averages.

I like this idea I'm all for bringing tactics back into the sport. I would also allow the team manager to pick where his 1, 2 & 3 in the averages ride in the top 5 and maybe doing away with fixed gate positions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spl77 said:

I like this idea I'm all for bringing tactics back into the sport. I would also allow the team manager to pick where his 1, 2 & 3 in the averages ride in the top 5 and maybe doing away with fixed gate positions. 

So a wealthy club pays a rider to lay down and rest for 2 weeks then brings him back at reserve? That's already been tried 1 club even brought a rider from Europe to pull up after half a lap so that he could achieve the number of qualifying meetings and secure his new average. No thanks team managers should stick to what they're good at, Hollywooding!

2 hours ago, Whisperer said:

So a wealthy club pays a rider to lay down and rest for 2 weeks then brings him back at reserve? That's already been tried 1 club even brought a rider from Europe to pull up after half a lap so that he could achieve the number of qualifying meetings and secure his new average. No thanks team managers should stick to what they're good at, Hollywooding!

Name me one wealth club ,they are all nearly bankrupt!

6 hours ago, Whisperer said:

That rider used to live with me.

16 hours ago, Thornaby48 said:

Name me one wealth club ,they are all nearly bankrupt!

Many clubs may be nearing bankruptcy but their owners are very unlikely to be, except in a few personally tragic circumstances. It's the rich what get's their pleasure and the poor ( fans ) what get the blame. The blame for the failure of the "bring a new friend every week".

On 7/17/2018 at 7:22 AM, waytogo28 said:

Many clubs may be nearing bankruptcy but their owners are very unlikely to be, except in a few personally tragic circumstances. It's the rich what get's their pleasure and the poor ( fans ) what get the blame. The blame for the failure of the "bring a new friend every week".

It's the 'rich' that keep the sport going. Surely your reply should be in the Political Section.

• Like 1