British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
startline sid

William Dunlop

not speedway but William died today following a practice crash in Ireland for the Skerries road race - the third member of the family to be killed racing - RIP

I was watching a IoM TT programme the other week and they were speaking to riders who had lost friends and family. The mentalty was something like it happens, we love doing it and know the dangers but that's the way it is and we're not stopping. They are a different breed.

15 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

I was watching a IoM TT programme the other week and they were speaking to riders who had lost friends and family. The mentalty was something like it happens, we love doing it and know the dangers but that's the way it is and we're not stopping. They are a different breed.

yes they are a different breed both his uncle (Joey) and father (Robert) were killed racing - his brother Michael (18 times tt winner) is the only one left - he is entered for the meeting tomorrow but don't know if he has decided to race or not. Both brothers did race in the NW 200 after their father Robert was killed in practice (the organisers did try to stop them but to no avail)  - Williams bike broke down at the start but Michael actually won the race in memory of their father.

Terrible news , thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends at this difficult time :(

So sad but they love it, just as speedway riders love racing speedway, they are prepared for the consequences ...... it’s like anyone who partakes in anything dangerous, they have to think it will never happen to them to keep doing what they are doing, it’s part of our admiration for them.  RIP William.  My husband and son went to a talk show involving William, they said he was a real nice, unassuming guy, he will be remembered ....

12 hours ago, startline sid said:

yes they are a different breed both his uncle (Joey) and father (Robert) were killed racing - his brother Michael (18 times tt winner) is the only one left - he is entered for the meeting tomorrow but don't know if he has decided to race or not. Both brothers did race in the NW 200 after their father Robert was killed in practice (the organisers did try to stop them but to no avail)  - Williams bike broke down at the start but Michael actually won the race in memory of their father.

There is a third brother named Daniel. According to BBC, Williams partner Janine is pregnant with their second child.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/44754057
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/robert-dunlops-son-i-expected-to-lose-comrades-in-war-not-my-dad-back-home-28465427.html

Edited by Ghostwalker

20 hours ago, Crump99 said:

As above, much respect.  RIP....

20 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Non racers will never understand the mentality of racers, the thrill of going over the edge or close to it and not only surviving but winning on top of that is the best feeling in the world, it really is like the best orgasm times 10 

• Like 1

Very sad news. The Dunlops have paid a big price racing on road circuits, but I doubt they would wish it any other way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

There is a third brother named Daniel. According to BBC, Williams partner Janine is pregnant with their second child.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/44754057
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/robert-dunlops-son-i-expected-to-lose-comrades-in-war-not-my-dad-back-home-28465427.html

yes don't think Daniel races and yes  William pulled out of the tt this year as his partner was having pregnancy problems (he posted these details to his fans just to let them know why he pulled out) - still can not really take it in myself yet.

Very sad news, understand the racers mentality but the price for the rest of their family, especially his mother is beyond belief.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2018 at 12:08 AM, Crump99 said:

They certainly are a different breed. I remember one former British Champion saying many years ago the he believed the he would go when his number came up whether he was racing a motor bike or sitting at home in an arm chair . He said most riders thought that way otherwise they would never go out and race. 

These are the sort of men who in times of war go out and win medals for acts of selfless bravery and heroism beyond the call of duty.

• Like 1

James Cowton A young lad from East Yorkshire lost his life yesterday while practicing for the southern 100 in the Isle of Man 

Brings home how dangerous any form of motorsport is and while there are some riders we see as pantomime villains when we see them racing it shouldn't be forgotten they are putting their lives on the line every time for out entertainment and we should never wish misfortune on any rider 

It sounded like a bad crash at Southern 100. Ivan Lintin is in critical condition and having an operation on his leg. Luckily Coward and Evans are out of hospital and fingers crossed Lintin will pull through.