British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Memories of Norwich

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...a rider who I would have enjoyed watching but sadly was never to be. Saw Ove ride in Barry Briggs' 1988 Golden Greats Meeting and he still showed class but to have watched him at his height would have been something else!

Wished I had been around to see the 'big five' compete....Craven, Fundin, Briggs, Moore and Knutsson although Ronnie missed some seasons but I did see him during my first season (1972) which was Ronnie's last at Wimbledon.

I never see  Craven ( wish I had) got an autograph from my uncle handed down in pencil  that is prized would never get rid of it.Moore Mirac was a class act  i think I see Ronnie ride four times.People forget he had that lay/off off six or seven years but was still a class act on a par with Barry/and later Ivan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Brian Crutcher  was on a par with the above

I'd say that was only true for a v ery limited period. His best years were really before and just at the start of the Big Five's dominance, from 1953-1954, when he was, indeed, one of the world's best riders along with Ronnie Moore and Jack Young and maybe just into the early days of Fundin, Craven and Briggo, 1955-1956. After that the Big Four of Moore, Craven, Fundin and Briggs began to dominate and Crutcher was left a little behind. Still a great rider but not quite in their league any more.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

He was not far off Wealdstone  but did he have other interests business wise.

Brian retired early as he I believe lost a bit of interest as he also had by that time a car business which was doing well. Although he subsequently rode for Southampton he was later to claim that his interest began to wane when Wembley closed.

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

How good was Fundin  around Hyde Rd  Ove? i always had the impression it was not one of his favourite tracks.Saying that his results show he was still pretty damn good  there when you name Ove, Ronnie, Peter, Bjorn, Barry what a special era that was a golden time.

I thought Fundin rode Hyde Road well. When he and Craven raced it was white line, whobetied the first to drift a bit, cause the other would go for the gap.

as for “a special era that was a golden time”, has there been such a time since? I’m not sure there has, though the 70’s with Collins Wilson Jessup Louis Simmons Ashby Kennet plus any one else you want to throw in the mix (they are just the Brits) will be special in their own way but I think different to the famous 5 of Ove, Peter, Bjorn, Barry and Ronnie. Peter left us too soon, and Bjorn retired too early.

11 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I thought Fundin rode Hyde Road well. When he and Craven raced it was white line, whobetied the first to drift a bit, cause the other would go for the gap.

as for “a special era that was a golden time”, has there been such a time since? I’m not sure there has, though the 70’s with Collins Wilson Jessup Louis Simmons Ashby Kennet plus any one else you want to throw in the mix (they are just the Brits) will be special in their own way but I think different to the famous 5 of Ove, Peter, Bjorn, Barry and Ronnie. Peter left us too soon, and Bjorn retired too early.

Great post and Knutsson  i believe he was a real threat to anybody.I never see him ride but for me he is like ( Penhall ) could  of  really been a force in speedway  long term  both had a longterm vision apart from speedway so the public missed out.

Edited by Sidney the robin

I could not believe that the Firs Stadium would close as when I went there in the late 50's the place was always packed on a Saturday night .I don't think I saw Ove Fundin get beat many times nor the Stars lose at home Happy days

Was chatting to a Somerset fan last night at the Oaktree Arena, started watching speedway at Norwich in 1956.

Some great stuff in those clips...memories...aaahhh!

I met Peter Craven, along with my parents as a young lad (about 10 or 11) in the Norwich Club House......what a hero he was of mine. I remember taking his picture with my Brownie Box camera (still have the photo somewhere) .....and he sat next to me while talking to my parents.....he never ignored me, asked me questions...what one's, I have no idea but those moments live with me to this day. I had seen him ride many times, mainly at New Cross, where he was almost invincible and then at Wimbledon......saw him ride a couple of times at the old Hyde Road and that was a sight to behold........Happy Days!

Devastated when he was killed, very sad day for the sport. 

Edited by andout
error
  • Like 2

Remember the night he died, my dad came into my room to wake me and tell me the sad news. Had his rosette on my wall.

• Like 1