British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stevebrum

Wolves v Somerset 9/7/18

5 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Not at all unless Howarth is ready for our next meeting.

Even if he is fit we need changes .

Morris has lost his spark since going into the team.

Heeps shows no sign of improvement.

Would be hard on Howarth but he may need to be sacrificed to get a better balance at the bottom end as I can't see any changes being made at the top end unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, magnificentseven said:

Even if he is fit we need changes .

Morris has lost his spark since going into the team.

Heeps shows no sign of improvement.

Would be hard on Howarth but he may need to be sacrificed to get a better balance at the bottom end as I can't see any changes being made at the top end unfortunately.

Don’t get me wrong. Having Howarth in the team is my first choice as he seems the glue that binds the top 3 as without him they have been nowhere near as effective. But we simply cannot carry RR anymore. Heeps has been nothing short of a disaster.

The signing of Thorssell has been shown to be a mistake, averaging a pt less than his starting average. That was pretty obvious from the get go.

Howarth has suffered numerous injuries which have impeded him this season and due to the poor form of Heaps, Morris was thrust into the main body of the team which of course has greatly effected his performances/confidence. That 'should' have been compensated by an upturn in the performance of Heeps but it hasn't happened.

Masters started a little below par but has been flying since he went to No 4 (a la Thorssell last year).

Schlein is likely to go to No 1 soon and his average will take a hit there too.

Changes aside, the key thing now is if Thorssell moves away from No 1 he must ride at 5. It would be absolutely insane to put him back at 4 and elevate his average again for next season. 

• Like 1

On the whole Jacob is doing a decent job. He was never going to replace Fred’s scoring or should he have been expected too. We know the management choose the cheaper option at number one.

He seems to have gone slightly backwards in Poland and Sweden too so clearly other issues going on too.

The bottom end has been the problem most noticeably Howarth and Heeps. Howarth thru injury, Heeps thru below par form.

unless we can get Howarth back fit and scoring like we know he can in the next week or 2 then changes must be considered if there are suitable riders available. Not sure if Harris and Robson fit but they would be worth considering, more for getting Robbo in reserve who has had some terrific meetings at the Green.

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

On the whole Jacob is doing a decent job. He was never going to replace Fred’s scoring or should he have been expected too. We know the management choose the cheaper option at number one.

Dropping 1pt from your average is not a decent job. It's under performing to the role you were employed for.

If he wasn't expected to replace close to the level of  Lindgren's scoring he shouldn't have been selected in the first place.

Let's put it this way, if the whole team dropped almost 1pt each from their average, would the team also be doing a 'decent job'?

Edited by BWitcher

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Dropping 1pt from your average is not a decent job. It's under performing to the role you were employed for.

If he wasn't expected to replace close to the level of  Lindgren's scoring he shouldn't have been selected in the first place.

Let's put it this way, if the whole team dropped almost 1pt each from their average, would the team also be doing a 'decent job'?

As already stated we know employing Jacob was the cheaper option and it’s completely unjust to expect him to replace the scoring prowess of Fred. He was never going to be able to do that.

riding at number one was always going to be a tough gig. I’ve said previously if he holds his average he will have done well this season.

As expected he is a very inconsistent number one, similar to Nick Morris who also wasn’t at number one last year despite riding in a much tougher number 5 position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

To be fair thorsell has done much better than I expected.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/85588-agm/&do=findComment&comment=3060351

According to wolves official figures he's only managed to knock 1.19 off last seasons CMA.

http://www.wolverhamptonwolves.co/_mobile/statistics18

http://www.wolverhamptonwolves.co/_mobile/statistics17

"Decent job", Ha Ha!!

We've been agreeing on a little too much of late... 

• Haha 1

C'mon Fred surely Brum is laughing at your #1 dropping his average so he can drop down a division?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lefty said:

C'mon Fred surely Brum is laughing at your #1 dropping his average so he can drop down a division?

Fred has nothing to say that isn’t laughable. :rofl:

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

Fred has nothing to say that isn’t laughable. :rofl:

Somehow thinking riding one point below your average is 'decent' is laughable. Although, I'll cut you some slack because in some respects it isn't bad... and I'll agree that he hasn't done too bad to keep his average from dropping by just a pt.

What it highlights is what a terrible decision it was to pick him in the first place. If they couldn't afford Lindgren, they STILL shouldn't have signed Thorssell with the average he was saddled with.

Not an attack on Thorssell, just the realities of the average system.

Edited by BWitcher

8 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Somehow thinking riding one point below your average is 'decent' is laughable. Although, I'll cut you some slack because in some respects it isn't bad... and I'll agree that he hasn't done too bad to keep his average from dropping by just a pt.

What it highlights is what a terrible decision it was to pick him in the first place. If they couldn't afford Lindgren, they STILL shouldn't have signed Thorssell with the average he was saddled with.

You’re getting the Poole mentality. The good thing about Wolves is that they stick by their riders and maintain continuity.

Swindon shouldn’t have kept Leigh Adams on his average every season but every Robins’ fan is glad we did. He was a pleasure to watch regardless of what it did to our chances of winning the league. And we shouldn’t have signed Doyle last year on 13.42 but we did and we won the league.

If I were a Wolves fan I’d much rather keep Thorsell than sign Bjerre or Andersen who some other journeyman number one on a perceived better average.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

You’re getting the Poole mentality. The good thing about Wolves is that they stick by their riders and maintain continuity.

Nothing to do with the 'Poole' mentality.

Over the years numerous riders have had to have a season away from the club due to their averages not fitting or being right for that particular season. Far bigger names than Thorssell.

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Of course he isn’t doing bad, that’s why I said previously that to maintain that average he will be doing very well. I actually expected him to add to his average at the start of the season. Hence why I said he is doing a decent job. If you think that’s laughable then so be it.

We have been top 4 most of the season so far so we are having a ‘decent’ season so far. However due to injuries we are at risk of that all coming undone in the coming weeks if nothing changes.

1 minute ago, stevebrum said:

Of course he isn’t doing bad, that’s why I said previously that to maintain that average he will be doing very well. I actually expected him to add to his average at the start of the season. Hence why I said he is doing a decent job. If you think that’s laughable then so be it.

We have been top 4 most of the season so far so we are having a ‘decent’ season so far. However due to injuries we are at risk of that all coming undone in the coming weeks if nothing changes.

Let me get this straight.

You expected Thorssell to add to his average at the start of the season.

He has dropped a pt.

Hence you think he is doing a decent job?

Err yes... that's laughable!

Thorssell's performances haven't been laughable. The club signing him as No 1 on the average he had was.

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

Let me get this straight.

You expected Thorssell to add to his average at the start of the season.

He has dropped a pt.

Hence you think he is doing a decent job?

Err yes... that's laughable!

Thorssell's performances haven't been laughable. The club signing him as No 1 on the average he had was.

No one was laughing when he was scoring a maximum. The problem that’s been exposed is when we struggle in a meeting or lose a meeting we should have won will point us to a number one who isn’t scoring what Freddie would have done.

as is always the case one rider doesn’t make a team. There are bigger issues than Jacob dropping his average a bit.