British Speedway Forum
TonyE

Lakeside v Sheffield 13 July

Decent meeting last night against a very determined Sheffield team. Some very interesting comments by Jon cook on the current state of the sport. Makes a change to hear someone in the know, give their views.

Very enjoyable meeting and thats what you get when the visiting team give it a real  effort ,,Impressed with Broc Nichol who had never seen the track before..Our top two were immaculate as usual.. and a good solid performance from Ben Morley,,.. with Kyle Newman also doing the job on his return from injury,,helped make up for Adam Ellis having a very rare off night ,,something was,nt quite right ,probably machinery related..There were  a fair few rolling starts,,some got away with ,,and i wonder if there was a trainee ref in attendance ,,,Crowd looked a little up on recent meetings ,,probably an effect from the recent Rye House closure,,,lets hope it is temporary for Rye House and they can start up again preferably in the Championship if it is next season,,So our team marches on and there must be real hope that we can win the league this year.......

11 hours ago, Daytripper said:

but Broc Nicol blew a hole in the myth that lakeside is a trick track. Seeing it for the first time he just went out  an did the business as if he was a home rider. I spoke to him afterwards, he is a really nice bloke

He blew a hole in nothing Lakeside is a trick track it’s just Nicol is American and all their tracks are like yours in the USA, generally most Americans are good starters as well, which is about 97% all you have to do at Arena

All their tracks are like yours like you have seen them lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Decent meeting last night against a very determined Sheffield team. Some very interesting comments by Jon cook on the current state of the sport. Makes a change to hear someone in the know, give their views.

What were the comments?

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

He blew a hole in nothing Lakeside is a trick track it’s just Nicol is American and all their tracks are like yours in the USA, generally most Americans are good starters as well, which is about 97% all you have to do at Arena

You are nothing if not consistent in your anti Lakeside rantings. You may think your comments are meaningful but they just exemplify exactly what you are .

After experiencing a truly awful track at Peterborough and then being lied to by the then promotion, I vowed never to go there again (and haven't) but I do not constantly post anti Peterborough comments. You need to get a life!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MD said:

What were the comments?

He was unhappy about the way Lakeside and other Friday teams fixtures were removed without warning. He said that ongoing discussions are to be had, and that whilst our next home fixture is in 2 weeks against Peterborough, this is only provisional as the official permission to run it has not been given yet. He stated that decisions were being made to benefit one club at the expense of several others. He didn't name names, but the implication was pretty clear that the culprit is Mr Godfrey at Scunthorpe. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bryce said:

He was unhappy about the way Lakeside and other Friday teams fixtures were removed without warning. He said that ongoing discussions are to be had, and that whilst our next home fixture is in 2 weeks against Peterborough, this is only provisional as the official permission to run it has not been given yet. He stated that decisions were being made to benefit one club at the expense of several others. He didn't name names, but the implication was pretty clear that the culprit is Mr Godfrey at Scunthorpe. 

He also said Neil Vatcher has been really helpful in trying to sort this mess out.

24 minutes ago, noaksey said:

What are Lakeside Peterborough and Workington official championship race night?

Peterborough is Sunday, with Friday as our alternate.

25 minutes ago, noaksey said:

What are Lakeside Peterborough and Workington official championship race night?

Lakeside is Friday with an occasional Saturday.

6 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

A good friend of mine is a Sheffield stalwart and we spoke about Lakeside at Scunthorpe the other night. He was roundly abusive about it and somewhat contemptuous of my view that it had acquired a bad reputation years ago but when I had been I had seen some cracking racing there.

His face book post on the way down said :

'15 years since I've been here, it was bloody awful then'

After the meeting, he said :

'Cracking meeting tonight mate, passing in almost every heat, best racing I've seen this season apart from Redcar and Owlerton,'

:D

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Peterborough is Sunday, with Friday as our alternate.

Thank you 

39 minutes ago, TonyE said:

Lakeside is Friday with an occasional Saturday.

Interesting I thought it was Saturday 

10 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Interesting I thought it was Saturday 

If that was the case, Jon Cook would not be so p**d off that the Friday fixtures have been wiped.

Edited by TonyE