British Speedway Forum
TonyE

Lakeside v Sheffield 13 July

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

A good friend of mine is a Sheffield stalwart and we spoke about Lakeside at Scunthorpe the other night. He was roundly abusive about it and somewhat contemptuous of my view that it had acquired a bad reputation years ago but when I had been I had seen some cracking racing there.

His face book post on the way down said :

'15 years since I've been here, it was bloody awful then'

After the meeting, he said :

'Cracking meeting tonight mate, passing in almost every heat, best racing I've seen this season apart from Redcar and Owlerton,'

:D

Thank you for that independent view.  We have all got used to Bigcatdiary's chip-on-the-shoulder rantings over the years, mostly criticising Lakeside meetings he didn't attend , as was the case last night.

Unfortunately   BCD is the worst type of speedway follower (I won't call him a fan ) who thinks that by constantly sniping at different fans tracks, clubs, promotions and riders, he somehow makes himself look knowledgeable and a cut above the rest of us.. In fact the opposite is true and he not only makes himself look an idiot he tarnishes the reputation of the club he purports to support, although fortunately my experience is that most of the Peterborough fans I have met area pretty decent crowd.  If people don't like Lakeside or any  other track nobody forces them to go and watch. I just think people are a bit odd when they just sit at home moaning all the time about meetings they never saw..  Speedway needs all the support it can get at the moment, and if a track can pull in enough support to keep afloat in these difficult times for the sport, that surely is all that matters.

However, I cant let the  ridiculous sleight on Broc Nicol go unchallenged.   His performance last night was not because he was American or because he did it all on the gate, its because he is a talented and serious rider who has clearly worked on his game, and incidently a lot of his points didn't come from the gate.. Sheffield are lucky to have a rider of that calibre, wherever he comes from, and 1'd have him in my dream team any day.

• Like 1

I don't think Lakeside has had Saturday as their designated race since maybe 2003? and I am not even sure if it was Saturday that season.

In my mind we have been a Friday night race track for a very long time, with a few Wednesday's thrown in a few years back when we had AJ for the first spell.

3 minutes ago, marko said:

I don't think Lakeside has had Saturday as their designated race since maybe 2003? and I am not even sure if it was Saturday that season.

In my mind we have been a Friday night race track for a very long time, with a few Wednesday's thrown in a few years back when we had AJ for the first spell.

Happy days, AJ, KK and Shieldsy...

4 minutes ago, M.D said:

Happy days, AJ, KK and Shieldsy...

Oh they were. I still miss Shieldsy, even now.   So desperately unlucky with injuries.

4 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

Oh they were. I still miss Shieldsy, even now.   So desperately unlucky with injuries.

Yeah, he's very happy these days, got a good life going..

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, marko said:

Different league. You can't just ride Fridays because you did in a higher league. Depends what was agreed at the AGM.

I don't know the answer and am just asking. It was interesting that Neil confirmed that Peterborough were a Sunday track. 

Anyone know about Worky?

Edited by noaksey

4 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Different league. You can't just ride Fridays because you did in a higher league. 

I don't know the answer and am just asking. It was interesting that Neil confirmed that Peterborough were a Sunday track. 

Anyone know about Worky?

According to Jon Cook in S/S;-

"Our entry to the Championship was submitted that we were going to run mainly as a Friday club, with us  accommodating the likes of Scunthorpe and Glasgow even though they opted to choose their race night this season

This was discussed at the fixture meeting earlier this year and there were no real issues as we have been a Friday racetrack since 2007.

For someone like ourselves we haven't got the availability of our venue to fulfil our fixture list if we could only run on a Saturday."

The point really is that the fixtures were submitted and approved then suddenly removed half way through the season without notice or explanation.  Nobody forced them to accept the Friday fixture list. They could have said no before the season started but to get half way through t  the season and then remove the fixtures, apparently at the whim of a BSPA MC member is despicable.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Different league. You can't just ride Fridays because you did in a higher league. Depends what was agreed at the AGM.

Anyone know about Worky?

Jon has stated in the past, Lakeside would only enter the Championship if they could have Fridays - any other day (excl. the odd Saturdays) would be financial suicide and see the end of speedway at The Raceway. Therefore, on the basis that we are in the Championship, Fridays were agreed.

The current situation appears to be as a result of self-interest and potential abuse of power.

Edited by TonyE
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

According to Jon Cook in S/S;-

"Our entry to the Championship was submitted that we were going to run mainly as a Friday club, with us  accommodating the likes of Scunthorpe and Glasgow even though they opted to choose their race night this season

This was discussed at the fixture meeting earlier this year and there were no real issues as we have been a Friday racetrack since 2007.

For someone like ourselves we haven't got the availability of our venue to fulfil our fixture list if we could only run on a Saturday."

The point really is that the fixtures were submitted and approved then suddenly removed half way through the season without notice or explanation.  Nobody forced them to accept the Friday fixture list. They could have said no before the season started but to get half way through t  the season and then remove the fixtures, apparently at the whim of a BSPA MC member is despicable.

Totally agree with you regarding the fixture list.

The SS article doesn't say however that it was accepted on that basis. 

I'm just intrigued by this to be honest, I can see now for example (without knowing the protocol for tracks running on their reserve night)  but let's say that a track with an alternative race nights were running mainly on a Friday and the senior Friday tracks weren't happy about it for some reason.

If however a track with confirmed Friday race night stage fixtures on a Friday night that are in the official fixture list then how can anyone have an issue with that? I'm confused!

17 minutes ago, TonyE said:

Jon has stated in the past, Lakeside would only enter the Championship if they could have Fridays - any other day (excl. the odd Saturdays) would be financial suicide and see the end of speedway at The Raceway. Therefore, on the basis that we are in the Championship, Fridays were agreed.

The current situation appears to be as a result of self-interest and potential abuse of power.

Thanks if a Friday night confirmed track runs fixtures that are in the official fixture list on a Friday how can there be an objection..I don't get it 

Maybe we have lost priority because we changed leagues? wonder then how that will affect the clubs who have had to move their race night this season due to the FRN, do they lose their race night priority because they had to move it through no choice of their own?

Whatever it is, its a mess.

When I first started going to Speedway, clubs like Arena Essex would run close to 23-25 home meetings a season, I don't recall them having problems fitting them all in, it was every Saturday at 7pm unless it was rained off.

12 minutes ago, marko said:

Maybe we have lost priority because we changed leagues? wonder then how that will affect the clubs who have had to move their race night this season due to the FRN, do they lose their race night priority because they had to move it through no choice of their own?

Whatever it is, its a mess.

When I first started going to Speedway, clubs like Arena Essex would run close to 23-25 home meetings a season, I don't recall them having problems fitting them all in, it was every Saturday at 7pm unless it was rained off.

A mess indeed 

1 hour ago, noaksey said:

Anyone know about Worky?

Saturday with an alternative race night of Friday

45 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Saturday with an alternative race night of Friday

Thanks 

The shortage of riders and the curse of the the double uppers, will no doubt be cured when more tracks go to the wall. Maybe this is the BSPA master plan. Survival of the fittest and sod the rest. If lakeside can't run on Fridays, I can't see them running at all.