British Speedway Forum
TonyE

Lakeside v Sheffield 13 July

9 hours ago, Daytripper said:

Thank you for that independent view.  We have all got used to Bigcatdiary's chip-on-the-shoulder rantings over the years, mostly criticising Lakeside meetings he didn't attend , as was the case last night.

Unfortunately   BCD is the worst type of speedway follower (I won't call him a fan ) who thinks that by constantly sniping at different fans tracks, clubs, promotions and riders, he somehow makes himself look knowledgeable and a cut above the rest of us.. In fact the opposite is true and he not only makes himself look an idiot he tarnishes the reputation of the club he purports to support, although fortunately my experience is that most of the Peterborough fans I have met area pretty decent crowd.  If people don't like Lakeside or any  other track nobody forces them to go and watch. I just think people are a bit odd when they just sit at home moaning all the time about meetings they never saw..  Speedway needs all the support it can get at the moment, and if a track can pull in enough support to keep afloat in these difficult times for the sport, that surely is all that matters.

However, I cant let the  ridiculous sleight on Broc Nicol go unchallenged.   His performance last night was not because he was American or because he did it all on the gate, its because he is a talented and serious rider who has clearly worked on his game, and incidently a lot of his points didn't come from the gate.. Sheffield are lucky to have a rider of that calibre, wherever he comes from, and 1'd have him in my dream team any day.

I have met BCD and I can assure you he's not like that. He does, however, have a real blind spot about Lakeside. 

Then again, he's not alone as my pal from Sheffield proves. The problem is that the track gained a disastrous reputation in the Russell years and, for some, that still stands.  

The truth is actually very different and I have known several people change their minds when they go there after a few seasons absence. 

9 hours ago, TonyE said:

Jon has stated in the past, Lakeside would only enter the Championship if they could have Fridays - any other day (excl. the odd Saturdays) would be financial suicide and see the end of speedway at The Raceway. Therefore, on the basis that we are in the Championship, Fridays were agreed.

The current situation appears to be as a result of self-interest and potential abuse of power.

As far as I can make out, that's just about the size of it. Lakeside, Peterborough and Workington all put Friday fixtures on their calendars with exceptions where necessary and this was agreed by the BSPA.

When one promoter couldn't get guests for his injured number 1, that had to change.

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The shortage of riders and the curse of the the double uppers, will no doubt be cured when more tracks go to the wall. Maybe this is the BSPA master plan. Survival of the fittest and sod the rest. If lakeside can't run on Fridays, I can't see them running at all.

Sounds absolutely crazy but it could actually be the truth, although I am not certain its survival of the fittest.

7 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I have met BCD and I can assure you he's not like that. He does, however, have a real blind spot about Lakeside. 

Then again, he's not alone as my pal from Sheffield proves. The problem is that the track gained a disastrous reputation in the Russell years and, for some, that still stands.  

The truth is actually very different and I have known several people change their minds when they go there after a few seasons absence. 

As far as I can make out, that's just about the size of it. Lakeside, Peterborough and Workington all put Friday fixtures on their calendars with exceptions where necessary and this was agreed by the BSPA.

When one promoter couldn't get guests for his injured number 1, that had to change.

Sounds absolutely crazy but it could actually be the truth, although I am not certain its survival of the fittest.

Your right Halifax I do have a blind spot for Lakeside, I dislike the track and the stadium which has pretty much a complete lack of decent racing (in my opinion) and spectating facilities (seats, grandstand or good standing areas etc) I must be honest I am not a fan of Jon Cook either.

I like a track that encourages racing, provides different racing lines and has races which are not decided by who gates first, which is why I am not a big fan of Rye or Eastbourne either but have attended both many times, and I am sorry to see any track go to the wall as I told some Rye fans who I spoke to at Peterborough Friday.

Despite what some of said I meant no slight at Nicol, I just took exception to the comment that Lakeside isn’t a trick track, of course it is that’s why you pretty much stuff everyone at Arena, the only time you haven’t hit at least 50 at home was Ipswich in the Shield.

Clearly the Sheffield match was a better one unfortunately the week before v Scunthorpe was mostly FTG (updates) which was mostly what I saw when I attended for Peterborough,s Shield match there in April.

The Hammers' promotion can do as much to the stadium as can the Peterborough promotion do to theirs - which is nothing as neither own the venue they race at..

You are perfectly entitled to your view of the racing/entertainment at Arena - FTG is a description that appears in many, many 'updates' across a wide variety of tracks.

You are right that our team is racking up good scores at home - we have a good team this year (surprise) that is also averaging an away score of 43 to 47 (again, very unusual for Lakeside) so, no surprise we see a preponderance of high scores at Arena.

I have been following the Hammers long enough to easily recall away teams regularly doing very well on our 'trick' track.

So, in essence, we all know your dislikes to the point that you no longer need to repeat them ad nauseum.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Your right Halifax I do have a blind spot for Lakeside, I dislike the track and the stadium which has pretty much a complete lack of decent racing (in my opinion) and spectating facilities (seats, grandstand or good standing areas etc) I must be honest I am not a fan of Jon Cook either.

I like a track that encourages racing, provides different racing lines and has races which are not decided by who gates first, which is why I am not a big fan of Rye or Eastbourne either but have attended both many times, and I am sorry to see any track go to the wall as I told some Rye fans who I spoke to at Peterborough Friday.

Despite what some of said I meant no slight at Nicol, I just took exception to the comment that Lakeside isn’t a trick track, of course it is that’s why you pretty much stuff everyone at Arena, the only time you haven’t hit at least 50 at home was Ipswich in the Shield.

Clearly the Sheffield match was a better one unfortunately the week before v Scunthorpe was mostly FTG (updates) which was mostly what I saw when I attended for Peterborough,s Shield match there in April.

So far, this afternoon, 6 out of the first 9 races at Peterborough are noted on the updates site as FTG..........

Edited by Come on the Skipper
Spelling

Make that 8 out of 15

FTG though could be the end result but that doesn't give a true picture as you can have FTG races where all four are very close but all riding the same line like they do in the early stages of the grand prixs hoping the guy in front makes a mistake but still not really threatening to pass, you can have FTG where the back two are strung out but the leader is under constant pressure from the guy in 2nd but can't nail it, and you can have FTG where all four are strung out.

But you can also have close races where the guy behind is trying to pass but you can tell he is not going to be able to do that because the track has nothing, we saw a lot of this at Arena under Ronnie Russell and still do occasionally today where riders bust a gut around the outside but there is nothing for them, which isn't the riders fault, at best its miss judged track preparation and at worst its incompetent track preparation.

You get good and bad meetings at all tracks. Today at the showground was an awful match with hardly any passing on a slick one line track. The closeness of the score kept it interesting, although there was very little to get excited about. There are no guarantees with speedway.

10 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

You just make yourself look more and more ridiculous with every post. .  You claim that Lakeside -v-Scunthorpe was "mostly" FTG's . In fact 7 out of 15 were, yet this afternoon 8 out of 15 at Peterborough  were FTG's. .

Bottom line is that you have some sort of long standing grudge against Jon Cook that you are always hinting at but for some reason you cant let go of and move on. For goodness sake grow up. If you don't like Cook or Lakeside don't go there and don't sit  stewing about it. Get a life.  . You'll be much happier.  Its that simple.  

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:55 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

Its not that he has a blindspot about Lakeside - people are entitled to have their own opinions on things.  The problem is his sheer arrogance in assuming his opinion is superior to everyone else's and the childish vindictiveness of trotting out the same old bile thread after thread year after year, especially since Jon Cook took over. 

If people are prepared to pay £17  to get into a speedway meeting and they enjoy the evening out then who is BCD to say they are wrong ?

One of the good things about speedway is that most fans of most clubs are pretty decent people , and its such a pity that we have this small but vociferous minority that have to snipe at every opportunity.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 9:53 AM, waco said:

Very enjoyable meeting and thats what you get when the visiting team give it a real  effort ,,Impressed with Broc Nichol who had never seen the track before..Our top two were immaculate as usual.. and a good solid performance from Ben Morley,,.. with Kyle Newman also doing the job on his return from injury,,helped make up for Adam Ellis having a very rare off night ,,something was,nt quite right ,probably machinery related..There were  a fair few rolling starts,,some got away with ,,and i wonder if there was a trainee ref in attendance ,,,Crowd looked a little up on recent meetings ,,probably an effect from the recent Rye House closure,,,lets hope it is temporary for Rye House and they can start up again preferably in the Championship if it is next season,,So our team marches on and there must be real hope that we can win the league this year.......

Yes it was a trainee referee in control but was also supervised by Mr Paul Carrington throughout the meeting. Having the luxury of being up in the box it is great to hear the decision process from the referees. I thought it was a challenging match to take charge of but I think he did a fantastic job and pretty much all decisions were agreed by the rest of us in the box too. Which certainly isn't usually the case. 

Ellis was certainly having some difficulty even with a few practice runs earlier in the afternoon. That being said the outside lanes weren't as strong as usual and that may be as a result of a Ride and Slide day taking place throughout the day and the track prep being therefore limited. Don't think there is another one of those scheduled for this year though so shouldn't happen again on a Friday hopefully 

Thanks for your reply Matertron .however the fans in the area around me were getting wound up over the rolling starts that we're not being recalled .I agree about the track as more riders than usual we're riding the white line..For a trainee ref if that was the only criticism I guess he did ok...

Edited by waco

2 hours ago, waco said:

tThanks for your reply Matertron .however the fans in the area around me were getting wound up over the rolling starts that we're not being recalled .I agree about the track as more riders than usual we're riding the white line..For a trainee ref if that was the only criticism I guess he did ok...

The ref  gave James Shanes  second ahead of Zak Wajjtnecht in heat 6 when even James said Zak beat him on the line. He also allowed Georgie Woods to go off 15 metres when the rules are clear that a  second starting offence, after a warning in the same race should mean exclusion of the rider concerned with no option of going off 15. As it turned out it made no difference to the result or enjoyment of the meeting but it was poor referreeing.

Conversely though, I was standing almost in line with the starting gate and I didn't particularly notice any rollers, apart from three or four riders who were trying it on and were given warnings to stay still.

Edited by Daytripper

Matertron who has posted on here,, was in the box as well said they all agreed with the decisions he made,,,If Carrington was along side the trainee ref why did he not put him right on these decisions,, i have to agree i thought at the time some decisions were not right