British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, Super Blue said:

Although Cook technically rides in the GP's hardly anyone with a brain in their heads would call him a GP rider. As soon as his qualification was confirmed by default as Dudek was already in the series pretty much everybody I spoke to knew he would be an embarrassment like Harris has been for the last few years. 

Craig Cook will be a very good no1 at Championship level, not so much in the premiership and that's his limit I'm afraid. 

Now for the backlash of my opinion! 

The fact is though, that he qualified. I would prefer all of them to do that, rather than Sweden be guaranteed one and usually two riders and look at Poland, they have the worst record of individual world champions among countries with GP riders but it would be unthinkable to not have any in. The whole thing is just a business, I would prefer it if it was a sport.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Super Blue said:

Although Cook technically rides in the GP's hardly anyone with a brain in their heads would call him a GP rider. As soon as his qualification was confirmed by default as Dudek was already in the series pretty much everybody I spoke to knew he would be an embarrassment like Harris has been for the last few years. 

Craig Cook will be a very good no1 at Championship level, not so much in the premiership and that's his limit I'm afraid. 

Now for the backlash of my opinion! 

Cook is out of his depth in GP,I have no problem with him back in Championship ,the issue to me is the money it is costing to have him in the Lower Tier in GB ( so we are told) not many promotions can compete I'm sure.Its obvious that Glasgow have better funding than most clubs,but they still have to make it pay( or do they).It doesn't help the situation the sport is in.IMO.

Yes Glasgow have to make it pay and work very hard in promoting the club but seem to be still struggling to attract fans this season.

12 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Yes Glasgow have to make it pay and work very hard in promoting the club but seem to be still struggling to attract fans this season.

From where I am, they've switched race-nights three times in three years, and even now have had matches this year alone on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

This really can't help.     I was told their big success after doing up the stadium was having a family atmosphere on Sunday afternoons.  Why change?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Uluru said:

From where I am, they've switched race-nights three times in three years, and even now have had matches this year alone on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

This really can't help.     I was told their big success after doing up the stadium was having a family atmosphere on Sunday afternoons.  Why change?

Attendances are down this year and some of the points you raise will be a factor, as will going three weeks without meetings whoever thought that idea up has hammered another nail in the coffin of this ailing sport.

People were also leaving early due to the length of time a meeting was taking to complete, and also the Edinburgh fiasco in the cup really soured the taste of a few were you couldn't see the nose in front of you for dust.

All factors in the drop in numbers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Uluru said:

Poland

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 11:32 AM, Gr8scot said:

I am one of these sponsors and I will still support Craig no matter what colour he is wearing or whether my name is here, there or wherever. This move is a no brainer financially for Craig and I hope he can kick on from here

His true supporters will get behind, and stay behind him

It's the other three GP riders in every heat who'll be in front of him!

3 hours ago, Uluru said:

as you say 3 changes in 3 years and race on whatever night they like 

while others can only ride on nights there told they can 

• Like 2

i changed jobs so i could go a sunday then they changed to Saturday and fridays are a cant do ever. So i havent been in a while to Ashfield. We used to go as a family every sunday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scaramanga said:

as you say 3 changes in 3 years and race on whatever night they like 

while others can only ride on nights there told they can 

Glasgow are in the fortunate position of owning the stadium which is a massive plus on racing whenever we want.

On the flip side is having enough fixtures to actually race, oh for the days of weekly Speedway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baba said:

i changed jobs so i could go a sunday then they changed to Saturday and fridays are a cant do ever. So i havent been in a while to Ashfield. We used to go as a family every sunday.

that's the thing though aint it 

often clubs decide its a good idea to change things without actually discussing it with the paying fans 

or staff in some cases they just expect everyone can and will turn up

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Probably not the best example of moonlighting mate considering we trained him up from a novice and lives ten miles from the track.

This thread is more proof of how speedway will never prosper in the UK as its always 'us and them' rather than all clubs working together.

It was the comments from a main league supporter that got my back up Bagpuss . Those of us with long memories remember how the 2nd tier clubs got stitched up the last time we went down the one big league road in 1995 .Added to that the fate of Birmingham and Rye House makes us very wary of moving up . 

• Like 7

Craig claims to have discovered the "secret" of success in the GPs ( for him at least ). He needs to show us that he really can it do at that level tonight. 

13 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Craig claims to have discovered the "secret" of success in the GPs ( for him at least ). He needs to show us that he really can it do at that level tonight. 

maybe part of the deal to sign for Glasgow is a couple of special greg hancock gp engines 

after all theres always the rumours about how close Glasgow and greg are 

:D

Greg H. is famous for smiling and his superb starting technique. He is not known for sharing.