British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Eastbourne v mildenhall 14/7/18 OFF

Yet another meeting bites the dust this Saturday. Eastbourne's home match against mildenhall has been postponed because of England playing in the third place play off. Who really cares about this non event, I'd rather have gone to see some live speedway.

Err..... perhaps a speedway fan who may be as passionate about football as for speedway.  I don't care too much about football, but appreciate others may...….. take away 100 from a speedway meeting and what do you have left.... would it be enough to break even never mind a profit.

6 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Err..... perhaps a speedway fan who may be as passionate about football as for speedway.  I don't care too much about football, but appreciate others may...….. take away 100 from a speedway meeting and what do you have left.... would it be enough to break even never mind a profit.

Take away a 100 spectators and you are in loss making territory. The loss of speedway at Easter means that clubs don't have money in the bank to weather a few low crowds.

I think Eastbourne's statement clearly makes that point.

13 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Well I'm a football fan and a speedway fan. I'm going to give borehamwood f.c. my money instead, for their match against the Arsenal!

19 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Take away a 100 spectators and you are in loss making territory. The loss of speedway at Easter means that clubs don't have money in the bank to weather a few low crowds.

I think Eastbourne's statement clearly makes that point.

Well they might as well cancel every Saturday Brighton are at home, that must knock a few off the gate.

53 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Well they might as well cancel every Saturday Brighton are at home, that must knock a few off the gate.

Brighton not on the TV on a Saturday afternoon.

If you go to the Amex, you can get to Arlington for speedway – there's no extra time or penalty shoot-out

Plus,with the World Cup I hear people discussing football and England's chances who have hardly ever watch a game in their lives.

I wonder whether we were riders down at the weekend perhaps with grass track and believe Wood had food poisoning during the week  so  may have been a dought or not 100%. Think it would have affected the crowd by a small amount, but may have been a means of rearranging the match.Still can see the usual rush to get fixtures in again though.

Edited by gazzac

6 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Brighton not on the TV on a Saturday afternoon.

If you go to the Amex, you can get to Arlington for speedway – there's no extra time or penalty shoot-out

Plus,with the World Cup I hear people discussing football and England's chances who have hardly ever watch a game in their lives.

There are a lot of unhappy bunnies on the eagles Facebook page. I've got lakeside tomorrow and Kent on Monday, so I'll get my fix elsewhere.

i gotta be fair, I think its barmy to cancel because of the footy, I think another poster has hit the nail on the head

Awful decision. I was going but will now give my money to Lakeside or Peterborough. It’s a playoff for 3rd place which I doubt would have knocked any off the crowd. Just Speedway shooting itself in the foot yet again

• Like 1

Perfect illustration that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I think people need to understand just how financially precarious British speedway is, anything which may lead to a reduced crowd means a postponement needs to be seriously considered.

12 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think people need to understand just how financially precarious British speedway is, anything which may lead to a reduced crowd means a postponement needs to be seriously considered.

I've had 4 within a few weeks, all on dry days. 1 for financial reasons, 1 for traffic congestion and 2 for football. How can promoters expect fans to turn up when they keep pulling the plug. Isn't the fixture list fragmented enough.

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I would say most speedway tracks are on a financial knife edge.

• Like 1

Hmm, once every 4 years the Football World Cup takes place - it is probably the biggest sporting event on the globe and attracts a massive following.

The success of the English team this year has surpassed expectations and bought a sense of unity and pride across the country. Quite a few folk will be watching the national team on Saturday.

Whilst England's progress couldn't be anticipated it shouldn't have been beyond anyone's planning abilities to see that this period would see reduced attendances and from a purely commercial perspective perhaps fixtures should have been arranged differently in the first place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

The way Speedway is at the moment, take 100 away and Cubs will be running in empty Stadiums.