British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Eastbourne v mildenhall 14/7/18 OFF

40 minutes ago, woofers said:

Hmm, once every 4 years the Football World Cup takes place - it is probably the biggest sporting event on the globe and attracts a massive following.

The success of the English team this year has surpassed expectations and bought a sense of unity and pride across the country. Quite a few folk will be watching the national team on Saturday.

Whilst England's progress couldn't be anticipated it shouldn't have been beyond anyone's planning abilities to see that this period would see reduced attendances and from a purely commercial perspective perhaps fixtures should have been arranged differently in the first place.

Well said that man, or woman!

6 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

i gotta be fair, I think its barmy to cancel because of the footy, I think another poster has hit the nail on the head

I'd say its perfectly reasonable...............if they were on at the same time and clashed.

Bearing in mind the football will almost certainly be over at least 2 hours before the start of the speedway, it is barmy.

Speedway called off for a football match on television. Isn't there a speedway fan who knows how to set a DVD timer or sky + machine?

34 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Speedway called off for a football match on television. Isn't there a speedway fan who knows how to set a DVD timer or sky + machine?

It would seem not.

Even the players don't care about the third fourth place play off match, I d suspect it won't even top the rankings of tv available at that time.

What I suspect will of affected crowds is the 2 day memorial banger meeting for Sussex banger racer Dave King taking place at Mildenhall. Dave raced at the track from the early 90s till last lead as had many friends around Eastbourne.

• Like 1

Called off because of a THIRD PLACE PLAYOFF????

Who gives a fig about a waste of time game :blink:

23 hours ago, woofers said:

Hmm, once every 4 years the Football World Cup takes place - it is probably the biggest sporting event on the globe and attracts a massive following.

The success of the English team this year has surpassed expectations and bought a sense of unity and pride across the country. Quite a few folk will be watching the national team on Saturday.

Whilst England's progress couldn't be anticipated it shouldn't have been beyond anyone's planning abilities to see that this period would see reduced attendances and from a purely commercial perspective perhaps fixtures should have been arranged differently in the first place.

the trouble with that is, they would then get slated for not running a match just because England 'might' do the unthinkable and get through to the third place playoff in the World Cup...yeh right!!

It does seem a strange thing to do but why cant people simply understand that the club have done what they think is right for the club?

1 hour ago, stevec said:

the trouble with that is, they would then get slated for not running a match just because England 'might' do the unthinkable and get through to the third place playoff in the World Cup...yeh right!!

It does seem a strange thing to do but why cant people simply understand that the club have done what they think is right for the club?

The lack of home meetings in July, is the reason people have got the hump. Why not run a few Sundays if it avoids clashing with other sporting events.

I don't blame them.

Its been a few years now since the club was bankrolled by the family business, Martin & Connor have to make it work financially as a stand alone business that is dealing with fine margins in the current speedway climate, I doubt they could run many meetings at a loss

30 minutes ago, M.D said:

I don't blame them.

Its been a few years now since the club was bankrolled by the family business, Martin & Connor have to make it work financially as a stand alone business that is dealing with fine margins in the current speedway climate, I doubt they could run many meetings at a loss

Spot on - the club's statement leaves no doubt over that point. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The lack of home meetings in July, is the reason people have got the hump. Why not run a few Sundays if it avoids clashing with other sporting events.

The problem is that Eastbourne like many clubs are walking a fine line. The club dropped Sundays because attendances held up better on Saturday's. The club cannot afford to run many meetings at a loss.

The fact that other clubs haven’t postponed tonight’s meetings despite postponing ones on other dates that England played show they don’t think it’s a financial risk. So why are Eastbourne fans more interested by the 3rd place play-off than the rest of the country?!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Islander15 said:

The fact that other clubs haven’t postponed tonight’s meetings despite postponing ones on other dates that England played show they don’t think it’s a financial risk. So why are Eastbourne fans more interested by the 3rd place play-off than the rest of the country?!

Eastbourne have evaluated the risk and decided it's not worth taking.

Other people make different decisions but, if you are running a business, you make the decisions on your assessments and not what others do.

The meeting is off, I'm at Borehamwood v Arsenal instead. Roll on August 11th, let's hope there are no distractions that day. Hopefully something can be arranged before that date.